Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conversions of SR mechanics to other game systems?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ka_ge2020
Please stay with me and, if I've posted in the wrong forum, please feel free (mods) to move it to the appropriate forum.

The SR universe, more particularly with its integration with the ED universe, is for me perhaps one of the most dynamic and interesting game universes out there. I am, however, not a great fan of the game mechanics, even if they are wonderfully evocative of the universe in general. I'm also a bit of a slave to jumping from one system to another as a matter of course, hence my selection of a generic system. (Mea culpa.)

Does anyone know of a decent conversion of SR to GURPS? I've obviously Googled and found several possibilities, but one of the great things about a given system that is linked to a universe is that it is designed for that universe. I'm just trying to save myself the leg time. wink.gif

As an addendum, and unoriginally and 'cliched' as one gets in the SR universe, a part of this results in the fact that I want to integrate both ED and SR into a single campaign.

I appreciate your time in making a response to something that has probably been posted over and over again.

Kage
Taran
Two or three times a year, I try to convert SR to Gurps. I had a long post here, but what it boils down to is that it's very difficult to get magic to feel right. The default Gurps magic system is somewhat too consistent; a mage always knows exactly how many more spells she can cast, and of what kinds, before she's tapped out for the day. SR magic lacks that certainty, but isn't truly random: if you've got 15 drain dice against a code of 4S, you're probably fine, but every once in a while the dice will bone you.

You can rearrange the magic colleges if you want to, but it's not worth the trouble IMO. SR's categories are just so damned weird that leaving behind is more liberating than troubling. Similarly, the fact that Gurps!SR mages will know many more spells than their Real!SR counterparts always feels like an improvement to me. You'll have to pick a spell list yourself, though.

Notice that I haven't touched on spirits yet. You will have to invent their rules and stats from whole cloth. I've tried this a dozen different ways, and liked none of them. A single M/VH Conjuring skill, with a penalty based on the power of the spirit? One skill per spirit type?

Ally Spirits: use the Ally rules.

Ritual Magic: Gurps Spirits, Gurps Voodoo, Gurps Cabal? Lots of good far-reaching subtle stuff in those books. If you just want to synechdotally cast normal spells, have a Ritual Magic skill, require everyone in the ritual to make it, and bound the spellcasting roll at the lowest RM skill in the group.

Enchanting is mostly handwaving in basic Gurps. Who am I to break with that? Well, a lifelong devotee. But besides that...

Traditions: make mages pick one when they take the "I'm a Mage!" Advantage, or go the SR4 route and ditch 'em.

I don't know whether you plan to use Gurps 3 or Gurps 4; my experience is mostly with 3 (I'd recommend 4 if you're confronted with a choice, though; everything I've seen and heard has been positive). In either case, the "Full Magician" advantage probably wants to cost 35-40 points, if not more (this depends on your starting point total; figure 1/4 of that as a minimum, and price the pieces (casting, conjuring, perception, projection) from there). Above and beyond this, a "magical power" advantage that adds to your magical skills is handy; it gives you an analogue for initiatory grade when you're converting things like masking. You can part out the magical advantages and sell them separately (10 for just Astral Perception, 20 for just Conjuring, whatever), but I don't think it's wise; any single component is one hell of a deal for a mostly mundane character, and you wind up having to do SR4's shitty "don't take these advantages unless you mean it" thing.

Adept-ness can be handled as an Unusual Background that lets you purchase a range of nifty advantages. This gives you an obvious and natural way to implement Magician's Way adepts, but makes initiation nigh-useless to them. This mostly isn't a problem, as most metamagics can be modeled as Advantages, but what do you do with Masking? Adepts won't have the Magical Power advantage described above, and keying its power off of the number of points spent on Adept advantages feels clunky. Best solution: divorce Masking from initiatory grade and make it the right to purchase a special (M/VH) Masking skill, which contests peoples' perception when they try to Assense you.

Geasae: Just steal them. The SR rules for these are flavor heavy and rules light.

You have to steal SR's essence mechanic outright, it's connected to too many other things to go the Gurps Cyberpunk route and leave it out. Figuring its interaction with magic is sorta tough (-1 skill/essence or fraction thereof lost works reasonably),

The whole exercise reminds me of Gurps In Nomine. Great setting, weak ruleset, but it's too idiosyncratic for Gurps to really work for it. I have about ten thousand thoughts on this, and I'll share them if you ask, but I don't think a clean Gurps Shadowrun exists.
nick012000
I've made a SR/d20 Modern/Future conversion.

It's a PL 6 campaign (7 for cyberware).
Characters start at level 10.
Characters can get +1 LA in exchange for +16 Wealth. They can do this twice.
The assorted traditions are determined by what magical Advanced Classes you have.
Incantations from Urban Arcana are used.
nezumi
Nick, please redirect your post to the Drop Bear thread where your unho*cough* err... Ingenious conversion of SR to The Other Game can be appropriately rewarded. smile.gif
Deamon_Knight
So much Hate...

*Single Indian Tear*
emo samurai
You could also give magicians a disadvantage bonus for losing magic when they take cyberware.
Drace
For GURPS, isnt there already rules, try using a search&download program, like limewire or morpheus, there should be one there to look at.
mmu1
QUOTE (Taran)
Two or three times a year, I try to convert SR to Gurps. (...)

Wouldn't the fact the systems value certain abilities completely differently also create major problems?

For example, in SR you can get cybernetic or magical enhancements that'll let you take 2 or 3 actions a round for only a fraction of your resources... Mind you, even the unaugmented can have more than one initiative pass in SR, if they roll well on initiative, so someone with a SR initiative stat of 8+2d6 doesn't necessarily need to have Altered Time Rate, but that's certainly the only way to represent someone with Wired 2 or 3 and not make him see like a pale shadow of his former self. And the cost of that (and other commonplace SR abilities, like enhanced Strength or Dex/Quickness) gets to be astronomical. (especially since in SR, high initiative also allows multiple mental actions)
Ka_ge2020
First off, thank you for your helpful replies and your patience. Conversion is, indeed, a nightmare and the online resources that I've found always seem to come off a bit... short. While it is easy to have a 'cyberpunk fantasy' crossover it definitely doesn't have the rich flavour of the Shadowrun universe. Yet at the same time, the SR game mechanics are for me overtly complex from an online gaming point of view (a point of view perhaps somewhat hypocritical given that I'm talking about GURPS in the same thread!).

Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way? Rather than throwing out the game mechanics that in many ways record part of the distinctiveness of the Shadowrun universe, perhaps I should be asking on advice for removing or refocussing some of those aspects that I'm not overtly fond of. For example, the various 'pools' and the resultant book-keeping (remembering the old Threat Ratings), or the combat that seems to inherently require a mechanised approach rather than a more narrative one...

I really don't mind getting back into the SR mechanics, but since online gaming is my only means of RPing I've found that it doesn't quite work without spending several evenings, for example, rolling out a single combat. So advice on speeding up this would perhaps solve the situation, allowing me to step back into a rich system.

The only other reason that I play around with GURPS is that I like to play with historical settings. The inherent focus of Shadowrun on the 'now' of the setting doesn't usually allow this. So, another question, if you will: Are people on the boards aware of expanded rules (online or otherwise) for integrating SR with earlier periods? E.g. 'historical settings'?

Finally, the ultimate of cliched evils for the SR universe. I know you've seen it hundreds of times, but has anyone interpreted the other universe into SR? (I hesitate to mention it, but the abbreviation sounds like a talking horse... wobble.gif )

Once again, thank you for your patience.

Kage
hyzmarca
Rather than attempting to make a Shadowrun GURPS you may want to look at new World of Shadowrun ...err... Shadowrun Fourth Edition.

It is already a complete rules conversion so you'll have no problem there. As much as I dislike it, SR4 does streemline the rules so much that you may as well give it a look if you're willing to throw the old mechanics out anyway.
blakkie
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 18 2006, 09:57 AM)
Rather than attempting to make a Shadowrun GURPS you may want to look at new World of Shadowrun ...err... Shadowrun Fourth Edition.

It is already a complete rules conversion so you'll have no problem there. As much as I dislike it, SR4 does streemline the rules so much that you may as well give it a look if you're willing to throw the old mechanics out anyway.

As an added bonus it has kept the majority of the flavour intact, ironically including things that are more game mechanics than game world, and you still get to use that bucket of d6 dice you have stowed away under your bed. The biggest flavour evolution is widespread availability of wireless Matrix access instead of being limited to specialized, and relatively rare equipment like it was in SR3. If you don't like that it is pretty easy to remove, just check out the "Rebooting the world?, SR4 in a 50's setting" thread in the sticked conversion thread of the SR4 forum.
nezumi
There are no plans for historical SR settings. There are also problems with converting them. If I had to guess, I'd agree with what other people have said, SR4 may be easier to convert to historical settings than SR3. My personal problems were two fold when converting SR3:

1) Initiative and pools are a bit off. Because most people will only have one initiative pass, splitting up your pool is generally pretty easy. This, of course, isn't a problem in SR4.
2) Magic is far more powerful than mundane weapons in most settings. This is easy to scale, however. This IS a problem with SR4, bu tstill easy to fix.

If you hunt around, I'm sure you can find more threads on the forum about conversions (including one I started).
Ka_ge2020
Once again, thank you for your time in replying to the thread. Would you advise a particular thread, or threads, for a discussion on the relative changes in SR4. The only thing that I have heard about it was, erm, not favourable... As above, I've been reticent at merely importing the setting into a non-SR system, but the person problems with the SR system - the sea of dice, the pools, etc. - are something that have stopped me completely coming back.

Many thanks.

Kage
Brahm
QUOTE (Ka_ge2020 @ Feb 18 2006, 04:02 PM)
Once again, thank you for your time in replying to the thread.  Would you advise a particular thread, or threads, for a discussion on the relative changes in SR4.  The only thing that I have heard about it was, erm, not favourable... As above, I've been reticent at merely importing the setting into a non-SR system, but the person problems with the SR system - the sea of dice, the pools, etc. - are something that have stopped me completely coming back.

Many thanks.

Kage

Try the SR4 forum. You'll still find people saying no end of bad things about SR4 there. Some people have found they have an interest in spending much time bashing, and indeed often slandering, a game they don't know and have no interest in every playing.

However it is likely that you'll also get some constructive posts and helpful tips. Especially if you have a specific time period in mind and give specifics about what you want to include. The dice mechanics in SR4 are fairly well suited to moving to different genres, but you first have to understand them and their strong points before making the transition.

My game tonight got canceled, the GM got food poisoning eating at a Dairy Queen. frown.gif Maybe I'll use the time to put together a document with my thoughts on how to effectively used SR4's fixed TN system.
Ka_ge2020
Well, despite having to buy a new computer today (laptop died after 5.5 years) I splashed out for an eBook version of SR4. That's the first RPG book that I've bought since the last one 2-3 years ago, and that was the physical SR3. Says a lot about the SR universe and what I think about it!

Well, hopefully it will be able to fix some of the issues. Glad to see that FanPro have borrowed from the Cyberpunk/Cybergeneration setting with wireless access, etc.

Anyway, back to the reading.

Kage
Taran
QUOTE (Ka_ge2020)
Yet at the same time, the SR game mechanics are for me overtly complex from an online gaming point of view (a point of view perhaps somewhat hypocritical given that I'm talking about GURPS in the same thread!).
Hey now, Gurps is easy to play. Roll your 3d6, report your margin of success, done. It's character creation that's complex.

QUOTE (mmu1)
<good points>

Altered Time Rate isn't the right way to model Wired Reflexes; it gives you too many Move actions. Full Coordination comes closer, plus Combat Reflexes and super-Combat Reflexes (Enhanced Time Sense? Something like that) at the higher levels. This still doesn't allow multiple spells. Hm. I'd never thought too hard about this; GURPS combat rounds are only one second long, so everyone's a Wired 3 monstrosity by SR3 standards. Something like Altered Time Rate with a Limitation (Doesn't Grant Move Actions -20%) comes closer, but that's 80 points per level. Also, it will correct simulate SR2 initiative, in which the street sam shoots everyone unaugmented before they get actions. Bug or feature? You make the call.

Which brings up a huge, central issue that will make or break the conversion: should cyberware cost only cash, or points as well? If it costs only cash, you have to accept that you're letting players trade nuyen for character points (and, at character creation, trading character points for more character points!). If it costs both cash and CP, how do you scale the costs so that heavily cybered characters are feasible?

My solution was always that cyberware costs cash only. Yes, this means that people who buy Combat Reflexes naturally get the shaft. I don't care; if cyber doesn't let you do things better than the unaugmented can, why bother? This will tend to produce optimal character builds that are either heavily cybered or magical, but default SR does this too so I can live with it.
Ka_ge2020
QUOTE (Taran @ Feb 18 2006, 07:59 PM)
Hey now, Gurps is easy to play.  Roll your 3d6, report your margin of success, done.  It's character creation that's complex.

I actually find the character generation to be easy, if a bit long-winded. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I ponied up the cash and bought SR4 with the reputed removal of those horrid dice pools (which admittedly are most fun when all you played before then was AD&D with its single D20 for skill resolution! wink.gif).

So, fingers are now crossed... All I've got to do is brush up on both the SR and ED game mechanics for the campaign in question.

My next question is, of course, has any work been done on merging these two systems?

Kage
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012