Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowzone: Asia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phaeton
I've noticed there hasn't been any SR material made for Asia/Japan/whatever.

...Think it's okay to take the liberty of making up a campaign setting?
Ancient History
1)That's not true. There is a moderate amount of source material regarding the various bits of Asia spread around.

2)SHadows of Asia was on the schedule, last I heard.

3)Go original. It's your game, have fun. Listen to 311.
EVLTIM
In refereance to point 1.

Of f the top of my head , Dragons of the Sixth world , Cyber Pirates , Year of the Comet . I think there is more , but those give you something to work with .
Ancient History
Target: Awakened lands, Target: Wastelands, Target: Smuggler Havens, etc.
EVLTIM
See . Lots of stuff .smile.gif
Phaeton
...*dies*
EVLTIM
*oops*

frown.gif
Phaeton
dead.gif Eh. Mainly what I was referring to was full location books, along the lines of the London, Germany, Seattle, etc. books.
Adam
Well, as AH said in the second post, Shadows of Asia is the next "Shadows of" book, due sometime in 2004.
Rice Bowl
Well, as AH said in the second post, Shadows of Asia is the next "Shadows of" book, due sometime in 2004.

Just hope your lately released Asia sb won't contradict a posteriori my past campaigns!
Abstruse
I'm sure FanPro will take painstaking efforts to make their canon material backwards compatable with your personal game's history. nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
Just pull a Matrix or Totall Recall on them: well, you THOUGHT you were in China, but really you were in a bunraku parlor paying off your debt to the Yakuza the whole time!
FlakJacket
Or you could not pull such a lame excuse as that. You could just simply adapt whatever they write, or *Gasp!* just ignore canon in favour of your own stuff if you like it more. I hear it has actually happened occassionally. wink.gif

Although, depending on what the lead-in time for writing is, you could even try submitting some ideas for the sourcebook. Hell, you might even luck out like the EuroSB did and catch Rob on a morning he's hungover or got food poisoning and is distracted, and he somehow just okays the whole thing in a bout of dazed stupor. nyahnyah.gif
JACK THE CHIPPER
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Or you could not pull such a lame excuse as that. You could just simply adapt whatever they write, or *Gasp!* just ignore canon in favour of your own stuff if you like it more. I hear it has actually happened occassionally. wink.gif

*Aargh* Heretic! eek.gif grinbig.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Rice Bowl @ Oct 5 2003, 11:03 PM)
Just hope your lately released Asia sb won't contradict a posteriori my past campaigns!

Well, one way to ensure that is to actually pitch to write part of the sourcebook. IIRC Rob Boyle was looking for some local contributors last time we talked and submissions for "SoA" were going to be open in November/December.

As Flakjacket mentioned above in his own sweet way, it worked for us Euros with "SoE", so I don't see why it wouldn't work for someone Asia-based like yourself. That is of course, if you're up to the challenge.
Cray74
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Just pull a Matrix or Totall Recall on them: well, you THOUGHT you were in China, but really you were in a bunraku parlor paying off your debt to the Yakuza the whole time!

Now there's a new GM tool that just went into my bag of tricks.
Siege
It's even funnier -- if you want to change games for a while, your players chip into the virtual equivelant of "EverQuest" or "d20 9.2".

Role-play characters role-playing characters.

-Siege
Krypter
Incidentally, what is the popularity of Shadowrun in Asia? I know there are a lot of European players on these boards, and the Germans especially love SR, but it seems Asia has never been a hotspot for source material supporters.

My theory is that cyberpunk connects to a certain pessimistic interpretation of the difficult times in the 80s that appeals to North Americans and Europeans but finds little resonance in Asia. That and we have more leisure time to waste on roleplaying than those overworked Asians... wink.gif

I'm eagerly awaiting SR material for Europe and Asia, though my local store can't even carry SoNA, so that may be a moot point.

Suggestion: use Stephenson's The Diamond Age as a stop-gap asian cyberpunk setting, though that can be too high-tech for gritty street campaigns. Skullgun anyone?
Rice Bowl
As Flakjacket mentioned above in his own sweet way, it worked for us Euros with "SoE", so I don't see why it wouldn't work for someone Asia-based like yourself. That is of course, if you're up to the challenge.

Sure, easy, just have to talk with my associate and tell him I now will work half-time cause I have to make some freelance writing for RPGs.

Anyone would be kind enough to help me take a few judicious pictures of him and of his nightlife, thus ensuring that as long as his wife doesn't know about some details, he supports my RPG whims??
Userlimit
I can be there in 24 hours as long as the pay is right.
Adam
QUOTE (Rice Bowl)
Sure, easy, just have to talk with my associate and tell him I now will work half-time cause I have to make some freelance writing for RPGs.

Well, many of the people who regularly work on Shadowrun do it in addition to their regular day job. It's doable, but takes some dedication.
Jon Szeto
QUOTE (Adam)
Well, many of the people who regularly work on Shadowrun do it in addition to their regular day job. It's doable, but takes some dedication.

Among other things. smokin.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
A PC for one biggrin.gif
JongWK
QUOTE (Krypter)
Incidentally, what is the popularity of Shadowrun in Asia? I know there are a lot of European players on these boards, and the Germans especially love SR, but it seems Asia has never been a hotspot for source material supporters.

My theory is that cyberpunk connects to a certain pessimistic interpretation of the difficult times in the 80s that appeals to North Americans and Europeans but finds little resonance in Asia. That and we have more leisure time to waste on roleplaying than those overworked Asians... wink.gif

Well, Wizards of the Coast and card dealers consider Japan and Asia a huge market, so maybe a Shadows of Asia SB is a good idea to ensure Shadowrun's survival. Then again, having Poké-runners may not a good idea... rotfl.gif

cool.gif Mr.Johnson: "I choose you, Decker-chu!"

See what I mean?
EVLTIM
:lol:
Phaeton
...My interpretation of 2060s Japan would be...Considerably more advanced technology than in North American, and a greater degree of social unrest. As well as general overcrowding within MegaCities.

But that's just me.
Wonazer
your players chip into the virtual equivelant of "EverQuest"

While my reply is purely off topic, I just wanted to add that a 'virtual' Everquest would be sick, wrong and all-around-bad.

I have been playing EQ for over a year and a half. The very idea that it could exist in 2060+ makes me shudder. You think BTL's are addictive?? Try getting your friend to log out...
Phaeton
QUOTE (Nindaru)
your players chip into the virtual equivelant of "EverQuest"

While my reply is purely off topic, I just wanted to add that a 'virtual' Everquest would be sick, wrong and all-around-bad.

I have been playing EQ for over a year and a half. The very idea that it could exist in 2060+ makes me shudder. You think BTL's are addictive?? Try getting your friend to log out...

biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif
FlakJacket
Which is when you tell them you're pulling the plug in thrity seconds so they better finish up sharpish. It might hurt them more than it hurst you, but it's whats needed. wink.gif
Wonazer
Flak, that would be one QUICK way to lose a friend. And in the Shadowrun world, it might get violent.
Person 404
Heh. Amusingly enough, the SR equivalent of EQ actually is addictive, by the rules in Target:Matrix. Granted, this is more from carefully manipulated simsense feedback than a really rewarding leveling treadmill, but...
Wonazer
from carefully manipulated simsense feedback than a really rewarding leveling treadmill

ROFLMAO - Even the SR version has issues... I feel better now.
Athenor
Phaeton: 2060's Japan -is- tech-advanced, but it is centralized around the Japanese military and the megacorps. So just take what the megas have and apply it to Japan, and viola. Of course, with the pullback due to the disasters.... wink.gif

Now, if you are talking about beyond-Deus supertech, go play Rifts. wink.gif

As for the social unrest: It's very low, from what I've seen, due to the pseudo-feudal system. japan also has the highest # of arcologies, I believe.. Although nuke-blasted Europe probably could put up more as a total.. dunno, haven't seen much Euro source material since my intro to the game. Still, there are a lot of places to look for clues on the culture in Japan in the 2060's, even if there are no "on the street" books... yet.

Athenor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012