Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mixed cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moon-Hawk
I'm betting that 80% of you have already worked this out, but for the other 20%:
Obvious cyberlimbs have advantages. They hold more equipment, and they're cheaper. This makes them appealing to 100% of the cyberlimb market. Synthetic cyberlimbs, on the other hand, look better, and more social acceptable. This is appealing to 99% of the cyberlimb market (except for the people who want to look all 'borg-freaky) Basically, what I'm saying is, everyone looking for a cyberarm has reasons to want both an obvious one and a synthetic one; they have to choose which they want more. For cyberams, the core book presents us with the two extremes. But in many situations, only your hand will show anyway. So here's the compromise model. Sort of a, "economy synthetic" cyberarm.
Mixed Obvious/Synthetic Cyberlimbs:
I really only see a reason to do this with arms, but here it goes:

Obvious cyberarm with synthetic hand:
Essence 1
Capacity 13
Availability 4
Cost 16,000 nuyen.gif

Obvious cyberarm with synthetic lower arm (which includes the hand):
Essence 1
Capaticy 10
Availability 4
Cost 17,000 nuyen.gif

Nothing amazing, just take the stats for an obvious arm, subtract the stats for an obvious hand, then add the stats for a synthetic hand. Repeat for lower arm. In most situations they'll be just as concealable as a synthetic limb (unless you take your shirt off), but they have significantly more capacity than a synthetic limb. It seems to me that this sort of thing would be in as much demand as either extreme, so I see no reason to increase the availability or artificially inflate the price.
Thoughts? Violent objections?
Lagomorph
My only objection would be because of my own impressions of obvious cyber, that it would even be obvious through clothes, so having a real looking hand stuck to an arm under the clothes of which you can see a large bolt and pneumatic actuator (or something). I guess it seems like the effect of a real looking hand would be lost when its attached to a freakish arm, even when the arm is covered up.

Edit: I think these are cool though, and I could totally see something like this for a scrounged cyber character.
mfb
i tend to view obvious cyberlimbs as they are mostly portrayed in the art--normal-sized limbs made of metal. some industrial limbs might look more like something you'd find on a crane than a metahuman, but for the most part, they should look more like limbs than engine blocks.

as far as price, etcetera, i'd take an obvious limb, subtract the cost of an obvious hand, and add the cost of a synthetic hand.
Moon-Hawk
My impression of obvious cyberlimbs are more in-line with mfb.
As for price, etcetera, that's exactly what I did.
The only reason I mentioned changing the price from that would be if someone felt that this would be an obscure, "specialty" item that deserved a mark-up. I, personally, don't feel this is the case.
Shrike30
I might give it a bit of a markup simply *because* it's not the norm, but otherwise your idea's sound. And you can say, in your world, that this is a pretty common choice, in which case the markup would be unwarranted.
Lagomorph
mfb the art I was thinking of was the combat decker archetype of SR3 (no book so no page reference), I'd imagine the bumps on that arm would stick out even in clothing.
neko128
Obvious cyberlimbs have more capacity, but part of that is just "streamlining" - an inobvious arm has to fit within certain dimensions, while an obvious one can be blockier and - well - weirdly proportioned compared to a real-looking one.

I'd say that these "mixed cyberlimbs" are... Well, somewhere in concealability between obvious and real-looking, just like everything else. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012