Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have you filed the TPS reports lately?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
What's the average office like in Shadowrun? Is it Office Space or Brazil with datajacks, with 80% of the work being useless bullshit? Is it hard-hitting and dramatic, like Boston Legal? Is it a hyper-efficient bureaucratic killing machine, able to destroy people with the stroke of a pen? As time goes on, I'd imagine people would get faster, and 80% of the things people have meetings about nowadays, like charts and shit like that, would be automated. Is 80% of the workforce pretty much superfluous, with the whole work/escapism complex just being a well-hidden attempt at mass opiation and social engineering?

Also, I'd like to know what the average office is like in real life; is it anything like Office Space?

And when I talk about the average office, I don't mean the conspiratorial, back-room dealings; we already know what those are like, what with the conspiring and everything.
Herald of Verjigorm
Meetings to prepare for the pre meeting meeting next week on proper meeting etiquette.

Incerases in work efficiency will just increase the amount done by productive behaviour between meetings, it won't do anything to actually reduce the meetings.
nezumi
From what I've read, to a certain degree the corporations have grown to simply support themselves. A significant portion of the organization is management, and a tremendous amount of resources are spent on managing said management. Of course, those people in the field have a pretty cutting edge, exciting work place, but for most people, it's just office politics.

Remember, Shadowrun isn't based off of the business ideals of 2006. They're based off of the business ideals of 1989. Corporations stay in business in part because they push their designers and manufacturers to produce more, faster, better. But even more so because they buy, litigate, bankrupt, sabotage, double cross, merge with, slander and otherwise harass their competition.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (nezumi)
But even more so because they buy, litigate, bankrupt, sabotage, double cross, merge with, slander and otherwise harass their competition.

I'm sorry, but how is that different from 2006?
DestroyYouAlot
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Also, I'd like to know what the average office is like in real life; is it anything like Office Space?

Yes. Oh, god, yes. That movie is simultaneously 50 times funnier and 100 times more depressing once you've actually worked in that environment.

From the fiction I've read, the average corp office worker is gonna be just as mundane and lazy and wrapped up in ridiculous office nonsense as his 2006 counterpart. (Cubicle decoration contest, anyone?) It's security (meatspace and cyber), middle to upper management, advertising/sales and R&D that's gonna be super-competitive and fast-paced. But, then, it'd really vary from corp to corp, I guess.
stevebugge
It could be any of these. The department or division and the culture of the corporation in question will play a huge roll. Marketing could be a collection of hyper-creative types with pie in the sky ideas and lots of enthusiasm for ridiculous projects while Accounting could be a dreary dull place. In general most internal policies are geared towards 1 Saving Money, 2 Minimizing Mistakes, 3 Reporting Mistakes so that they can be Minimized, 4 Covering your departments ass when they make a mistake that was not successfully minimized, 5 Improving Quality, 6 Improving Productivity, 7 Improving Employee Morale, 8 resolving Policies with diametrically opposed goals. As the number of policies grows, the number of Manager needed to enforce, monitor, and evaluate them increases (usually exponentially). SO these management and management support offices probably DO resemble office space quite a bit, but the departments where real work is done probably do not resemble it much at all.
okkam
I can just imagine encountering Steve Carell's character from "The Office" as a first time Johnson. That would be hilarity.
nezumi
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 15 2006, 09:59 AM)
But even more so because they buy, litigate, bankrupt, sabotage, double cross, merge with, slander and otherwise harass their competition.

MOST corporations don't do that. There are a few *cough cough MICROSOFT* who have made it almost their exclusive business plan (except add intellectual theft to the list) since their inception. But most of the ones who do do that were around in 1989.
Aku
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 15 2006, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 15 2006, 09:59 AM)

MOST corporations don't do that. There are a few *cough cough MICROSOFT* who have made it almost their exclusive business plan (except add intellectual theft to the list) since their inception. But most of the ones who do do that were around in 1989.

I'm sorry, i dont really agree with that, except that it's on a direct competition level. Take a look at Nestle for example. Not only are they the providers of tasty food for us, but they also supply man's best friend with HIS food (they also own Purina) I can't think of what else thay have their oven mits cooking, but atleast to some extent, the "our business is every business" model is already in place, to some degree.
Moon-Hawk
Pure evil to the core. Also, I hear the CEO of Aztechnestle can't have an orgasm unless he kills a dog.
smile.gif
emo samurai
Remember, Shadowrun isn't based off of the business ideals of 2006. They're based off of the business ideals of 1989.

Have things actually gotten better? I can't tell the difference. And why do they hire those average office workers if they don't actually do anything?
stevebugge
There are some companies trying the our business is every business model, however a lot of them are finding that it's really a good way to run yourself out of business. Your Nestle example isn't really an example of trying to be in every business though, it's locked pretty squarely in one industry: Food - Major Diversified. A good example of a "we are in everything company" is Mitsui & Company (trades under MITSY) or Fortune Brands (FO). Korea chose to do this in Public-Private partnerships while developing their industry. Most companies focus on a specific industry, somtimes with some diversification in to realted industries. Some do well others make a complete mess of it (the best description of General Motors I've heard in a while calls them a Property Management and Finance Company that makes cars as a really expensive hobby).
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 15 2006, 10:48 AM)
Remember, Shadowrun isn't based off of the business ideals of 2006. They're based off of the business ideals of 1989.

Have things actually gotten better? I can't tell the difference. And why do they hire those average office workers if they don't actually do anything?

You have clearly never worked for a company with over 100 employees. Over time the Institutional Bureaucracy develops a dependence on these people, they don't do anything useful but in their mind they have the most important job in the company. Their supervisors back this up because that means they supervise the most important section, and it builds from there. Ultimately in a large company the people best at convincing their superiors that they fulfil an important function get promoted. Now what happens if all the truly important functions are already covered? You invent a new one, sell a few people on it and all of the sudden you're indispensible, even if what you do is something nebulous like tracks quality indicator reports. Some entities make a business out of this. ISO for example has a legion of consulting companies that make money simply off of helping other companies develop bureaucratic operating standards of their own and then auditing the companies to make sure they comply with their own procedures.
emo samurai
AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! The future is doomed!!!! Either that, or big companies will buy it in the face of neo-anarchy. If only the seething hordes of the fearful and talentless didn't demand so many useless and boring jobs.
Aku
Those two functions of Nestle were just two examples, iirc, they've got their hands in a lot more than food
SL James
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 15 2006, 12:14 AM)
Is it hard-hitting and dramatic, like Boston Legal?

David E. Kelly may create amusing television programs, but it's about as far from realistic as you're ever going to get (the only thing close was the first season or two of The Practice). Law firms are cold, lifeless places. The largest (i.e., those with over 1,000 lawyers working for them) and those in major cities are soul-sucking vortexes of evil from which there is no escape. But, yeah, maybe two or three lawyers on that show would not have been disbarred for the shit they pull every week.
stevebugge
http://www.nestle.com/Our_Brands/Our+Brands.htm

They really look to be pretty much just in to food type consumer products. I don't see them advertising any Shipping Services, Financial Services, High-Tech, or Heavy Industry.
emo samurai
David E. Kelly may create amusing television programs, but it's about as far from realistic as you're ever going to get (the only thing close was the first season or two of The Practice). Law firms are cold, lifeless places. The largest (i.e., those with over 1,000 lawyers working for them) and those in major cities are soul-sucking vortexes of evil from which there is no escape.

Seriously? Are you speaking from experience or from years spent watching Angel?
Calvin Hobbes
Bear in mind that Boston Legal focuses on the partners of the firm, who I figure have a lot more fun than the paralegals.
stevebugge
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 15 2006, 12:14 AM)
Is it hard-hitting and dramatic, like Boston Legal?

David E. Kelly may create amusing television programs, but it's about as far from realistic as you're ever going to get (the only thing close was the first season or two of The Practice). Law firms are cold, lifeless places. The largest (i.e., those with over 1,000 lawyers working for them) and those in major cities are soul-sucking vortexes of evil from which there is no escape. But, yeah, maybe two or three lawyers on that show would not have been disbarred for the shit they pull every week.

From what I've heard working for a law firm is like writing a research paper every 2-3 days only with a lot more copying and filing and a paycheck.
Aku
perhaps i'm thinking of soe other company then, for some reason i thought they were also involved in the manufacturing of plastics, and a few other things, like cookware, i think.
stevebugge
Probably not in the manufacture, they might be doing something called "re-branding" where they write a contract with another company that manufactures whatever it is they want to put their name on, put their brand on the product and sells it as their own, with a large portion of the sale going back to the actual manufacturer. This is a really common practice in the Automotive Industry, and also with higher end office products (like high volume copy machines). Contract production is another scheme in common use, where a company will contract a production facility operating under capacity to produce product for them, typically to reduce transportation costs.
SL James
QUOTE (Calvin Hobbes)
Bear in mind that Boston Legal focuses on the partners of the firm, who I figure have a lot more fun than the paralegals.

That depends on how you define "fun." Just because they have more money doesn't mean that they have more free time. As stakeholders, partners/shareholders have to produce and are expected to do more significant work.
emo samurai
So either you're busy and you feel bored and useless, or you're REALLY busy and you're under tons of pressure.

Also, what the hell is a swordfish mustardball?
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Calvin Hobbes @ Feb 15 2006, 01:36 PM)

That depends on how you define "fun." Just because they have more money doesn't mean that they have more free time. As stakeholders, partners/shareholders have to produce and are expected to do more significant work.

They're expected to bring in new clients and entertain current ones for the firm so they're expected to go schmoozing with clients and such. If you enjoy that, then it can be 'fun'.

There are many firms (well, also if the clients are demanding it) that they keep track of their billable hours in 6 minute increments. Yes, it's that bad, other places might be in quarter hours, and maybe there's some that might be per hour instead, YMMV.

I watch Boston Legal once in a while to get a good laugh and I know they're not being serious. Plus, it's just hilarious seeing Capt Kirk, the shapeshifter from DS9, Murphy Brown, Keen Eddie, and for a short time Michael J. Fox all on the same show. The other shows that tries to be serious I avoid like the plague.

Hey SL, what do you really think about lawyers and law firms, be honest! wink.gif

I know of folks at firms who put in 60 hours or so a week. Heaven help ya if you work in prosecution and it's deposition/trial time. You're lucky getting a couple hours of sleep during that time.

(My sister is a lawyer and I just finished law school, so yeah, I seen/heard stuff from the DC law firm scene silly.gif)
emo samurai
Sword... fish... MUSTARDBALL!!!!!!
DestroyYouAlot
QUOTE (Aku @ Feb 15 2006, 01:19 PM)
I'm sorry, i dont really agree with that, except that it's on a direct competition level. Take a look at Nestle for example. Not only are they the providers of tasty food for us, but they also supply man's best friend with HIS food (they also own Purina) I can't think of what else thay have their oven mits cooking, but atleast to some extent, the "our business is every business" model is already in place, to some degree.

Well (and this strangely enough, ties in with the "cyber-breast pump" thread), if you were wondering about corp practices in the here-and-now, Nestle sells, among other things, baby formula. They also have a long-standing program where they go to different third world countries, notably African nations, and hand out free formula samples to native mothers, along with pamphlets detailing how wonderful their formula is, and how all the sophisticated, cosmopolitan Western mothers feed their kids formula, blah blah blah. What a bunch of swell guys, right?

The only kink in this is, you can get their free formula while you're in the hospital, after which you're on their own. They will often get a sample can or two, which will last just about long enough for the moms to stop lactating on their own! What a coincidence!

Of course, at that point they're pretty much committed to the formula thing, except that these are still women living in third world countries. Which, as you may have heard, are abominably poor, and not especially well educated. Since they can't afford enough baby formula to feed an infant, they end up cutting formula with water. Water is not terribly full of nutrients. Babies like nutrients. Or, barring that, they like to die of malnutrition. Rinse and repeat.

Nestle has been boycotted for this several times - and successfully! (When did you ever hear of that actually working?) Only thing is, after the attention dies down they always quietly start doing it again. UNICEF places the damage at about 1.5 million dead babies a year. Nice guys.
tisoz
QUOTE (emo samurai)
emo samurai
I found the thread before you mentioned it, and it was linked to in the very thread that I learned of swordfish mustardball's existence. I still don't understand what the hell a swordfish mustardball is; something that's really hard to swallow or something?

And do mothers stop lactating if they don't feed a baby? Is that why they do harm?
Moon-Hawk
Swordfish Mustardball isn't supposed to make sense.
Yes, mothers stop lactating if they aren't regularly "milked", whether you're talking about humans or livestock, it's all pretty much the same.
DestroyYouAlot
QUOTE (emo samurai)
And do mothers stop lactating if they don't feed a baby? Is that why they do harm?

It takes six weeks, yup. Also, the drinking water in these countries tends to be extremely contaminated, which leads to diarrhea, which can kill by dehydration. And a child that isn't breastfed isn't getting a lot of the natural immune system boosters that they would be otherwise, which is bad enough if they're in a nice, clean, industrialized nation. But when you're drinking watered down formula that a yak bathed in...
Lagomorph
To quote Civ IV "The bureaucracy is expanding, to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"

Also, don't hershey's and Mars/M&M's have their own intellegence divisions?
stevebugge
QUOTE (DestroyYouAlot)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 15 2006, 04:54 PM)

It takes six weeks, yup. Also, the drinking water in these countries tends to be extremely contaminated, which leads to diarrhea, which can kill by dehydration. And a child that isn't breastfed isn't getting a lot of the natural immune system boosters that they would be otherwise, which is bad enough if they're in a nice, clean, industrialized nation. But when you're drinking watered down formula that a yak bathed in...

The Fluke that lives in the Volta in Target Smuggler's Havens apparently isn't completely made up.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (DestroyYouAlot)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Feb 15 2006, 04:54 PM)

Yes, the baby formula issue is actually a major issue in the field of humanitarian work and public health. Because of nutritive, marketing, and sanitation issues (loss of antibodies from the mother plus drinking unsafe water and using dirty drinking vessels), Nestle in particular is credited with being responsible for many needless deaths of infants.
emo samurai
Wouldn't competition get people to try to cut down on bullshit like this?
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Wouldn't competition get people to try to cut down on bullshit like this?

Possibly, but it may have been competition that drove them to try in the first place too. It's a cost value determination between the cost of negative publicity and the value of opening up a new market. Of course in this particular situation it doesn't make a lot of sense because there just isn't much money to be made in the African Market right now.
emo samurai
I know that about the reason why large corporations do the evil shit; it HELPS with competition. But why do they do the needless bureaucracy? That just increases costs and decreases efficiency.
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I know that about the reason why large corporations do the evil shit; it HELPS with competition. But why do they do the needless bureaucracy? That just increases costs and decreases efficiency.

It doesn't always increase costs. It increases payroll, yes but that may cost less than say being fined repeatedly or being sued once. Also some of the bureaucracy does actually reduce losses in other areas or produces information that can be used to increase efficiency. Sometimes just the promise of increased efficiency, reduced liability, or a potential breakthrough is reason enough to keep doing something. Also there is a lot of of institutional inertia, it's easier to just keep doing something the way it's always been done than to change it. Making changes costs money too, some companies would rather bleed money slowly than take a big hit all at once to make a change for greater efficiency. Also be careful with the use of evil in regards to corporations, while it applies to some SR Corps in the real world it usually doesn't. Tobacco companies who knowingly produce and sell a dangerous product, and then try to cover up how dangerous it is, might fit the bill. But rarely do companies go out of their way to do something nasty just to squeeze out a bit more profit. Thats not to say that they won't do all sorts of unethical things or cut lots of corners, but they usually do it to protect their share holders or believe that they have to do it that way to keep from being driven under by the competition who is doing the same thing. Also in the insular bureaucratic world of a corporate HQ lots of employees completely lose sight of the fact that their product or service involves real people, they merely track numbers and statistics.
SL James
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Feb 15 2006, 03:07 PM)
I watch Boston Legal once in a while to get a good laugh and I know they're not being serious.  Plus, it's just hilarious seeing Capt Kirk, the shapeshifter from DS9, Murphy Brown, Keen Eddie, and for a short time Michael J. Fox all on the same show.

Keen Eddie! Dammit, I knew I had seen him before somewhere. That was a great show.

My opinion of the law is , well, complicated. And, yeah, billing 60 hours a week is pretty commonplace. I knew law students who were racking up 60-80 billable hours (measured in 6 min increments) a week in their clinical programs, so go figure what the firms expect. If the clinic was a real firm that actually billed for those hours, it would make more per year than the entire budget of their law school.
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Pure evil to the core. Also, I hear the CEO of Aztechnestle can't have an orgasm unless he kills a dog.
smile.gif

Oh that is priceless, and Corp espionage is just as strong today as ti will be in the future, you just never ever hear about it, well you do but not often.
emo samurai

Now just grind and form in to a ball smile.gif

That explaineth nothing!
bladepoet
I have worked in 6 offices to date,

from a small 4 man business to where I am now which employs over 400 staff.

To be honest, it largely depends on many factors.

1. The people involved
2. The Management
3. The 'philosophy' the company prescribes to. Some companies feel that cubicles work well while others feel open plan offices are to be preferred.
In some places the managers sit in the open office, in some they have their own enclosed offices.

There are various theories on which method ensure highest productivity or maintains the best employee moral.

It also depends on what is being done. I work in I.T Security, so we have open plan offices so that it is easier to talk to colleagues so as to be able to pool and share knowledge.

In other industries the requirements may well be different, say accounting where individuals need to concentrate more.

I don't think there is a general guideline, it all depends on far too many circumstances

cheers

bladepoet
Dog
I'm not the most worldly sort of guy, but it seems to me that the difference between the corp dynamic in the late 80's and now is this:

Back in the day, they all competed with each other to win the favour of us, the public consumer herd.
Nowadays, they've wised up and have found the means to work with each other while maintaining the appearance of competition to keep us plebes content, ignorant, and spending our money.

I know that's cynical; I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, just screwed up priorities. Maybe it just means that as the gap between haves and have-nots widens, the decision makers continue to lose empathy for people beign affected by their decisions.

Or maybe that's just how public perception has changed. I dunno.
Edward
I feal confidant saying only one thing about offices, now and in the future. They vary. Not just between compony and between offices within a larger compony but even between different cubicles on the same flaw

The industry and department purpose merge with the wisdom and whim of upper and middle management to push the varied personalities of the employs (that push each other as well) in different ways.

The decision on wether Aires arms America, Seattle accounting division gets an open plan office or cubicles is not maid buy Damien Knight and has little in common with the office of Aries arms Asia, accounting department, Aries automotive America, Seattle accounting department or even Aries arms America, Seattle accounting overwatch division. The single most powerful determining factor is what the manager of Aries arms America, Seattle accounting division was most impressed with at is last management seminar, with was probably whatever he thought the lecturer liked.

So when designing a run, use a variety.

And remember that some upper middle managers like to meddle so sometimes something the size of Aries arms Seattle will all be very similar.

Edward
Apathy
I think one of the biggest changes in corporate culture in the last 30 years is temporary nature of employees. A generation ago it wasn’t that unusual for employees to put in a 20 year career at a single company; now it seems like the average joe only stays with each company 3-5 years before moving on/getting RIF’d. The SR examples seem to be an exaggeration of what I’d heard about 1970’s and 80’s Japanese corporate culture, where families grow up and spend their whole lives dedicated to a single corp, who in turn showed a significant amount of loyalty back. In contrast, big corporations today seem to prefer ‘at will’ environments, where people are working day-to-day.

I think this trend fits in well with the dystopian, de-humanizing aspect of the game. Employees desperately scrabbling up the corporate ladder, with the churn at the lower echelons of the company casting large numbers of people out of the arcologies into the slum/barrens/carted off for scientific experiments/turned into soylent green/whatever…
Dog
Aye.

Y'know, my grandfather worked for the same company for his whole adult life. Me, I'm thirty-one and on my third career. I worked seven years at one place and it set a record!
emo samurai
I just looked at the abstract of a standard TPS report. That thing is fucking huge.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (steve)
Also be careful with the use of evil in regards to corporations, while it applies to some SR Corps in the real world it usually doesn't. Tobacco companies who knowingly produce and sell a dangerous product, and then try to cover up how dangerous it is, might fit the bill. But rarely do companies go out of their way to do something nasty just to squeeze out a bit more profit.

Corporations who voluntarily decide to not perform evil acts and thereby lose profits can have their board of directors sued successfully by the shareholders. If the estimated losses due to bad public image and wrongful death lawsuits are less than the estimated profits of a course of action, the corporation is obligated by law to perform those evil acts.

Companies will rarely do something nasty for no reason (though even then, sometimes they just feel like doing some evil on the side), but if there is a bit more profit to be gained through senseless villainy, a corporation must take it.

-Frank
ShadowDragon8685
That's a pretty serious - and in fact ludicrous charge, Frank, because that is tatamount to legitimizing murder-by-corporation, and in fact OBLIGATING it. I want to see some goddamned proof of that before you go spouting such inanity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012