Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Passion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chaos
What happened to the passions. I think the only refrence to one might be the one in that intro for -H's- back. and even then that might be a horror.

Did the passions turn ito totems or what?
Ancient History
There were a few other mentions. Basically, it appears that the Passions, for the most part, have faded, or become something else. Like Idols or Loas or Totems, maybe.
FlakJacket
Although there was mention in the Tir Tairngire about some of the druids out there, no doubt encouraged by some of the IE's, following Passion instead of Totems or Idols. Maybe they're trying to regrow the powerbase at it were? Although this is TT so I generally dislike/suspect it as SOP until convinced otherwise.
Abstruse
Someone said that the TT paladins followed Passions instead of regular totems. Laughing Man promised to send flowers to his funeral.

The Abstruse One
FlakJacket
Oh that's a given. It's just that it's a shadowtalk comment from Tir Tairngire which is in itself a Sargent and Gascoigne piece. As people may have guessed bu past comments, I was never their greatest fan. smile.gif So yes, whilst there might have been possible goings on somehwere, no real canon mentions.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I read a short story somewhere about Harlequin being berated out of a drunken stupour by one of the Mad Passions...forget which one, though. Ol' Harley didn't like that too much.
Ancient History
"Voices of the Past" 's on my site now.
FlakJacket
I figured since all the great dragons, IE's, free spirits and whatever you may have that managed to survive from the fourth world knew of them- since those people still carry around a kind of trace belief in their manifestation- they're still floating about but very weak and on the edges of things and only really able to/or wanting to communicate with that set of people. :o/
BIG BAD BEESTE
I suppose it all depends on how you want to run it. the Passions is one of Earthdawns greatest innovations - nope, they're NOT Gods, by the actual physical and psychic embodiment of the Name-giver's emotional essences. And even then, its all abstract and variable as to how many there are and where they exist. Who needs religion when the Passions themselves can actually manifest and sway your very feelings in their favour. All of the flavour with the basic "what do you belive?" open-ended mystery.

As for SR references, I believe that Harlequin had a visit from Vestrial in the "Voices of the Past" fiction. The only canon ref that I can definately remember is the text on Teachdare the elven assassin from Prime Runners. Now that ring of his has definate possibilities...

My Earthdawn players are gonna hate me (again, but moreso! biggrin.gif )
DV8
Your signature is doubly appropriate right about now. smile.gif
Hot Wheels
I think it was floated out there and then when no one, fans oir writers picked it up, it was allowed to fade, into obscurity.
JongWK
FlakJacket, unless I misread your comment, I think you confused TT with TNN. TT was written by Nigel D. Findley and it is a very good SB.

Abstruse
No, it was the TT that had the passions, he just called their special ops "druids" instead of "paladins". nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
FlakJacket
QUOTE (JongWK)
FlakJacket, unless I misread your comment, I think you confused TT with TNN. TT was written by Nigel D. Findley and it is a very good SB.

If Findley did write it, then I was mistaken. Also seems he was able to get all his crappy writing into one concentrated book. I just really dislike the thing. To me, it just seemed like one long "We t00 l33t for j0!" The whole thing just seemed to ignore most of the world stuf and just left is as well since we're IE's we can do whatever we want. :/
Abstruse
I liked TT because it was this big powerful iron curtain type country, but there were cracks there. Plus most of the info there wasn't meant to be used in TT but rather as the Tir's influence spread, it overflowed into Seattle and other places. Plus it's always fun watching a group try to figure out how to get through Tir customs nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012