Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Sharingan Eye.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Sharingan Eye

Power point cost: Special.

Two pinwheels: Allows for astral perception, gives a +3 Perception bonus for countering illusions, +3 dodge bonus for avoiding melee attacks in line of sight. Any spells seen while astrally perceiving will cost 1 less Karma for each time the spell is seen. Spells learnt in this manner without power point cost may be learned instantly and without ritual. The second pinwheel costs 3 power points.

Three pinwheels: Grants an extra +3 perception bonus for countering illusions, an extra +3 dodge bonus for avoiding all attacks in line of sight. The karma point cost is reduced by 2 for each perception of a spell cast. The third pinwheel costs an additional 2 power points.

The drain value is always the number of turns that the Sharingan has been activated, to be given at the beginning of each turn that it is activated.
DigitalSoul
Oy, anime conversions.

Before I begin I would like to point everyone to the unofficial (but very well done) SR3->SR4 adept powers conversions thread:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=10389&hl=

First, the nitpicking:
Why wouldn't a superior sense of visual perception like the Copy-Eye Wheel not also apply to ranged attacks as well (determining the trajectory of the gun barrel, path of the thrown knife, arc of the grenade)?

Now, the real commentary:
The power can very well be seen as an attempt to circumvent the Magic cap on adept power ranks as it moves in on the domains of other powers from official (Combat Sense) and unofficial/conversion (True Sight) sources. The LOS stipulation for the little extra detail is a nice touch but ultimatly it's another object for the GM to track on top of the load he's already got for himself, but that's the opinion of a fledgling player-come-GM.

Finally, a possible (but still somewhat unoffical) compromise:
A combination of Astral Perception, True Sight, and Combat Sense can simulate the power just as well. After the mechanics it's all about getting the correct retinal cosmetic mod for the character.
emo samurai
So it's a line-of-sight Combat Sense. I'll change it to include guns. The Byakugan, on the other hand... But what do you think about not having to pay karma for spells? And I think it'll be a drain-causing sort of ability, one with DVxturns spent using it.
DigitalSoul
QUOTE (emo samurai)
So it's a line-of-sight Combat Sense. I'll change it to include guns. The Byakugan, on the other hand... But what do you think about not having to pay karma for spells? And I think it'll be a drain-causing sort of ability, one with DVxturns spent using it.

Heh, Byakugan (basic, no advanced applications) is an almost full spherical vision radius, psuedo-astral perception, and nerve strike (at next level) on a drain timer.

On further contemplation, Astral Perception doesn't mesh well with the idea behind the eye techniques as it is a full shift of perceptions (not to mention becoming dual natured) rather than a simple visual overlay as it is portrayed as. Besides, Sasuke didn't see straight through the illusions, they were still there for him to see, but used the psuedo-AP to observe them as chakra (Naruto equivilant to mana for all those not familiar) constructs.

I must of glossed over that last part, sorry about that, I enjoy standard adepts too much for my own good. I've always been a fan of passive effects so I'm not a good judge of activated effects benifits to drain ratio (ask the spell-slinger fans, I'm sure they could be more helpful than I).

But the capacity to get karma-discounted spells makes the full-time wiz in the group feel invalidated as he had to spend all those BP to get them and you can just watch him do it and get them basicly for free (of course he could always get the GM to give him a quote of cash for karma and charge you that going rate per karma gained to watch). Either way I'm not a fan of free karma in any way, shape, or form that's not doled out by the GM.
nick012000
Now, extra dice on the test to learn the spell, on the other hand...
emo samurai
I just put it there as a throw-away thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012