Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edge points?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Azzabat
Could someone please explain about the way edge points work in detail (pg 67 of the SR4 rulebook)

i.e. If a character has 4 edge points, does that give him "4 edge points" to use, and once these 4 are used then no more until the GM refreshes them? (i.e. either all 4 at once, or 1 at a time on four seperate occassions)

Or ...

Does he have 4 edge points to use, more than once?

Example: A character with 4 edge points uses all 4 on a test ... how many edge points does he have left, and how many more times may he use them?

An example would be greatly appreciated
Serbitar
when you use edge before rolling a test, you add your total unmodified edge number of dice to the test AND 6es explode. this costs 1 edge which is refreshed at gms discretion.

for example a character with edge 4 can add 4 times 4 dice to a test, until he has to wait for refreshing his edge pool.

all (except one) the other uses of edge, cost 1 points of edge, too.

Azzabat
ok, so does that mean he effectively has 16 dice (4 dice, used on 4 seperate occassions?)
DigitalSoul
Yes, 4 dice on 4 separate tests of his choosing.

Azzabat
ok, I understand that now, thanks.

So that means a character with 5 edge would be able to roll 5 dice, on 5 occasions?

Likewise a character with 3 edge would be able to roll 3 dice, on 3 occasions?
DigitalSoul
Yes, but you can also add these dice afterwards (for that little extra boost) but only those edge dice explode.

It's not just for dice-adding either:

I usually have a tendency to skimp on edge so I like the ability to reroll all the dice that don't turn up hits as well or to negate normal/critical glitches.
Crusher Bob
Yes, the power of your edge stat is roughly comparable to the square of your edge stat, so the human edge monster with an edge of 8 can be pretty powerful.
Solstice
Holy frick, could that be anymore complicated? I thought SR4 was streamlined. Give me pools.
Josh The Stampede
How is it complicated? There's a list of things spending a point of edge does. There's a number of times you can do it.

All that stuff about squares and the relative power of Edge is just analysis, it isnt necessary to play the game.
Cold-Dragon
the 8 Edge human ninja *coughjokecough* is a point dedication - its effectively a mage or cyber nut or whatever in its own right. For one, it takes a quality that costs you 20 points, then it takes you 75 points more to get the edge to max. That's 95 out of 400 points. You just dedicated 1/4 of yourself to that edge.

So you're probably about average everywhere else or severely lacking in some areas for that super power. We call you 'the damn punk that won't stay down!' runner.

and if you say 95 points doesn't count up like a mage or cyber or otherwise, bear in mind that this is one trait by itself - a mage and the rest are a set of things. So the 8 Edger is made up of what you stick the rest of those points to as well.

Scary nonetheless.
Seven-7
Its quite simple really.

SR4, Pg.67B
....You may add a number of extra dice equal to your full edge attribute to the dice pool...(Attr+Skill+Edge+/-Mod)

....All dice rolled on this test are subject to the Rule of Six....(Re-roll Sixes)

OR you roll Edge after the first roll and only apply RoS to the Edge dice.

To do either one costs 1 Edge Pool, Edge Pool is equal to you're Edge Attribute.

Edge is a very very powerful thing. I built this character to show you:

This design is 400Bp

Race: Human
---------------------Attributes
Bod: 3
Agi: 3
Rea: 3
Str: 3
Cha: 3
Int: 3
Log: 3
Wil: 3
Edg: 8
---------------------Active Skills
SG>Athletics: 2
SG>Biotech: 1
SG>Close Combat: 2
SG>Outdoors: 1
SG>Electronics: 1
SG>Firearms: 3
SG>Influence: 2
SG>Stealth: 2
Dodge: 2
Perception: 2
---------------------Knowledge Skills (18Free)
---------------------Qualities
Lucky
Add, Mod (-)
Spirit Bane (-)
All, Com, Mil (-)
Codeblock (-)
---------------------Contacts L/C-6 Points
---------------------Cyber/Bioware (Ess: 6.00)
---------------------Gear-90,000
-------Commlink
Commlink (Re:/Si:)
-OS (Fi:/Sy:)
-Common
-Hacking
-------Vehicles

Notes: Eight times (8) you can add +8 Dice to a test and have it reroll 6's before you refresh among other things. Refreshing isn't that hard either.

I think the best part about such a character is that you cant spout that whole 'he's specilized in one thing and sucks at others!' By simply spending one point you gain at least +7 to a test in which you default. Not bad really.

Edit: This version is far better than the previous build.
Shrike30
Only problem is that with any kind of serious modifiers coming down on your head (bad darkness, range, you're trying to operate on your buddy in a sewer, etc), you've suddenly entered into "Long Shot" range.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012