Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smartgun System & not so Friendly Fire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tisoz
I remember in SR1 the shooter could set his gun not to fire at friendlies. I think there is even an illustration of it while 'walking' the fire between targets. So has this capability disappeared by SR3?

There is no mention under Smartgun Systems description on 281 of the gear chapter. There is mention on page 116 that when smartguns 'walk' fire they waste no rounds on the empty space. The only part missing is the friendly fire.
fistandantilus4.0
IIRC, it was a safety that coincided with a transponder of some sort. The 'allies' would wear a little belt clip unit ('prolly commlink size), and the SG comp would switch it over to safety if the gun points within 2 meters (could be less) of the unit. So it isn't really part of the smart gun system, but works with it.
Wireknight
No, that whole IFF/transponder thing is new. What' he's referring to was the fact that if you walked fire across two targets and there was a third target in the middle, they also would be hit. This was excepted in the case of you having a smartgun link, which permitted you to walk fire across multiple targets with friendlies among them and not accidentally shoot your friends.
mfb
i extend this capability to allow smartgunners to use suppressive fire to cover non-contiguous areas.
Aku
i think this would be covered by the not wasting ammo rule with the smartgun system. Normally if you have multiple targets you waste an amount of ammo per meter going between them. The smartlink negates this.
Edward
I concur it is covered buy the SL doesn’t wast ammunition when walking fire, the only difference between this and the way you initially described it is it relies on the samy choosing not to shoot his friend.

This makes more sense for a shadow runner than having to take an action to move somebody’s transponder on your SL IFF table before you can shoot them for stabbing you in the back.

Edward
KarmaInferno
I alway think of that scene in TOP SECRET! where in the middle of a massed fight between soldiers and freedom fighters one of the guys steps up with an M-60 and starts hosing the room while yelling, all Rambo-style.

He stops, and only the bad guys in the room fall down.

=)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012