Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IRC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MalikialDelora
I was just wondering if any of you have ever, you would be willing to, run or play in an IRC shadowrun game. Discuss!
tisoz
I won the bet with myself that you were the newest Dumshock member. Anyway...

Not me personally, but yes to your question. Try IRC and the search function.
Aku
i've played on something similar, a program called OpenRPG, it's basically a gaint chat system, with dieroller, map and miniature capabilities built in. it's pretty cool
Ka_ge2020
...And all that some of us have left in terms of RP'ing. <sigh>

You can also utilise NBOS' Screen Monkey program, though it doesn't have the flair of OpenRPG.

Kage
SL James
I fail to comprehend why one would want to game via chat.
DigitalSoul
@Ka ge2020: I think you hit the nail on the head for why (some) people do such things.

I would say that IRC gaming is to Table-Top what Coldsim VR is to Hotsim VR. You can't get quite as much done during an IRC game but being forced to type does lend some time for all to think about what they are doing and to possibly think it over more than once.

Although that's not all true it is my general feeling towards it. I see some things removed for the sake of quicker follow-through, like excess banter that would paralyze the game is channeled to other rooms and not shared amongst the others. I also find myself to have a greater grip on controlling my tendencies to act out the rules-lawyer as the typing forces me to slow down and see what an ass I am going to make out of myself (most of the time).
SL James
Hm. In the ten years since Shadowland has had chat, I've never - and I've never known anyone - to use it to play out a game (probably because SL was originally play-by-post site for Dave Hyatt's SR group before he opened it up to the world) because posting gives more flexibility for users with awkward schedules, more time for serious thought into their posts, more time to get the f-ing rules right, and frankly, more time for better RP. Consider the fact that the guys who wrote RA:S and Brainscan created the a good part of the background on Shadowland along with at least a half-dozen other people through some incredibly intricate otaku-related plots. Overwatch, for example, was born on SL.

And then there's E, who created the canon Ghost team from Hell for Corporate Punishment. Banshee was her signature PC on SL. Same with Demonseed Elite, who pops up in pretty much every otaku discussion since RA:S, Lt. Col. Ritter (Grey Knight) in Silicon Valley, and a whole host of SL personas who've made it into shadowtalk over the years.
MalikialDelora
QUOTE (tisoz)
Not me personally, but yes to your question. Try IRC and the search function.

.... Just because I'm new to the forum doesn't mean I'm a moron. It doesn't return any items on the query. Nor for Shadowrun IRc or Internet Relay Chat.... and I'm not that new, I tried to log on with my old account name and the password won't accept, nor will it allow me to change my password via password recovery. Keeps telling me that it can't complete the action as directed.
torzzzzz
Would love to but I have pooter gremlins and that makes it hard, but when you have a pooter that works its fun! *gerrr*

torz x wink.gif

.........well if you are all about at the same time.......

Adarael

It is possible, despite what most people believe, to live in an area where you cannot have a tabletop game. Usually these areas are very rural, and filled with families whose trees do not branch more than once or twice.

I used to live in a place like that, and gamed online a metric ton. Thankfully, I no longer do.

Hence, IRC has uses.
Aku
and its also possible, to be trying to find a job, and not having moeny to drive places
Wounded Ronin
I've rarely succeeded at getting table top role playing anything. Most people are like, "RPG? Shrivel up and die!"

So, I've gamed over IRC for years. The pace is slow, and you end up spending much more time getting the rules exactly right, but I enjoy it.
Ka_ge2020
QUOTE (Adarael)
It is possible, despite what most people believe, to live in an area where you cannot have a tabletop game. Usually these areas are very rural, and filled with families whose trees do not branch more than once or twice.

Indeedy. That's my problem. I haven't been able to do a consistent series of RP sessions in, erm, 14 years. twirl.gif Of that chunk of time, 12 years have been without weekend gaming. The last f2f (tabletop) gaming that I was involved in was for a single night, even if it was a rather long night. Thus, for me, online gaming has been the only option for quite some time. Even then time constraints have meant that I haven't done as much as I would like... Lots of writing and very little playing (or perhaps more aptly playtesting) for me.

With that said, I'd be kind of interested in some f2f RPG, but I'm in the aforementioned areas that 'are very rural and filled with families whose trees do not branch more than once or twice'. The joys of rural Virginia, even if I've been told that West Virginia is much, much worse. (Probably should take a hint from the setting of Wrong Turn, I suppose! ohplease.gif )

As such, I'm most interested in any online RPG regarding SR, even if I'm about as rusty as they come. (That and I type god-awfully fast, which often means that I don't have a problem keeping up with the flow of events. wink.gif) With that said, the majority of online gaming that I've involved in is the even slower paced PbEM/PBF, rather than PbIM such as Screen Monkey and OpenRPG. Hence I'm very keen on seeing how these games flow and, therefore, thanks to tisoz for posting that 'six pack' of threads. Hopefully there will be something in there that is useful!

Regards...

Kage
Liper
S-RUN

MRIC channell is #s-run
Platinum
QUOTE (Liper)
S-RUN

MRIC channell is #s-run

you forgot to mention they are on undernet. They have several games going, and are actually funny as heck.
SL James
QUOTE (Adarael)

I used to live in a place like that, and gamed online a metric ton. Thankfully, I no longer do.

Hence, IRC has uses.

You do, of course, understand that my comment was within the context of there being far better means to play online than IRC.
Aku
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 20 2006, 07:34 AM)

Hence, IRC has uses.

You do, of course, understand that my comment was within the context of there being far better means to play online than IRC.

well, i can say honestly that since you said "chat", and didnt say something like "online" in your first post, that it had eluded me, i thought you disliked any online gaming, since they do almost always include some form of "chat"
Liper
like what shadowland? like gag me with a spoon.
Adarael

Only vaguely, actually. The last time I used Shadowlands was in its' second incarnation, and having moved from Rural Suckfest Land, I haven't played much online since then.

Then again, I never really gamed via IRC, only on MUSHes.
SL James
QUOTE (Liper)
like what shadowland? like gag me with a spoon.

Aren't we mature?
mmu1
I'm playing in two currently. And while I might have started to play in them initially because I couldn't find any RL Shadowrun groups, I've stuck with them because I enjoy them, and not because they're a last resort...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012