Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tactical Compters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Paul
Okay so I am running a game, a PB3, in which a player has a tactical computer. He is also a rigger. He would like to take advantage of his vehicles, and their sensor systems, but we're not quite sure how to make it all jive.

Now does he have to assign a port for each sensor system, or can the entire network be assigned a single port? If he has to assign a port for each vehicle or sensor, does also have to assign a port for each rating/or level?

Also what sort of limitations are we looking at here? What is overload? What sort of specialized programming might he need?

Any useful input would be appreciated.
SL James
We made an official house rule that it's 1 sensor point/1 port, which makes sense in the context of how it works with cybernetic/natural/external tech senses in M&M. I treat the sensors as external senses, which under the description in M&M leads to the above result. I guess you could narrow it down even further to specific sensors using the descriptions in SR3, but 1 sensor rating point: 1 port is just easier, especially when the Sensor rating gets to the upper limits where it's not so much new sensors as better sensors.

Overload is when Essence hits 0 because they have so many generic or dedicated ports combined with all of their other cyber. The whole point of the tactical computer is that it does all of the heavy lifting of data processing and tactical analysis for you. This is why it's such a great piece of tech - it makes a user with a lot of senses very dangerous.

Using the Sensor rating/port example, you'd need a dedicated port with hardwired tactical software for each point of Sensor, or tactical programs in headware memory if you are using generic ports. If it's straight Sensor:Port (e.g., count proximity sensors, rangefinders, video, radar, signature-recognition, low-light and telescopic enhancements as individual "senses" instead of lumping them together as they are all included in Rating 1 Sensors) then you need the tactical software for each sense. So a vehicle with just Rating 1 Sensors would require 7 dedicated ports or 7 generic ports and 7 tactical programs for each "sense." So with a Rating 1 Sensor vehicle, your Rigger is now running around with a Level 3 Tactical Computer (This is why I treat each Sensor Rating as 1 "sense"). Add GPS (kind of a "duh" addition if you ask me) and he now has a Level 4 Tactical Computer and all that entails (and it entails a lot for Vehicle Combat) including an effective Skill of 4 in Small Unit Tactics (Vehicle).

Oh, as for Drone? To count as a "sense" for the Tactical Computer (and therefore, even higher bonus for drone warriors), each of the drones has to have at least 1 port for their sensors. But then you can hook the tactical computer into your BattleTac IVIS system, and your drones will be unstoppable when you get the Tactical Computer bonus for making the IVIS Small Unit Tactics (Vehicle) test to jack up the Comprehension and IVIS Pools. It also would be required to use the Tactical Computer bonus when you're using FDDM. I also toyed with the Combat Pool bonus becoming a Control Pool bonus when rigging.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: I allow the Tactical Computer to be used in the Matrix. It works quite well in conjunction with the BattleTac Matrixlink software. In that event, each "sense" to be ported is a 1:1 with your deck's (and teammates/frames, if applicable) Sensor Rating(s). So if you have Sensors 6, and 6 dedicated or generic (with the applicable tactical programs) ports, you now possess a Level 3 Tactical Computer to use in cybercombat (e.g., Small Unit Tactics (Matrix) skill is + 3, and so on) - reflected ruleswise by adding the CP eqv. bonus to Hacking Pool for cybercombat only.

BTW, in case you're wondering - I've seen Tactical Computers installed in Blues and linked to Deus. The resulting Combat Pools were in the high teens, and they were virtually impossible to surprise (they easily had Level 4 Tactical Computers, which gives you access to 100% of CP when making Surprise Tests). Tactical Computers, Snake-Eyes FDDM, and Deus are an almost unstoppable combination. There really is no better reason I have seen as to why Tactical Computers should keep their high Availability and Street Index ratings as when I look at the stats for Tadashi Marushige in Brainscan after he is given a Tactical Computer (and why the hell didn't he have one in the first place anyway?).

Drone Networks and Tactical Computers
Paul
Anyone have anything else? Bumpity bump.
SL James
Well, fine then. Be that way.
tisoz
Previous discussion that should help.
SL James
Reading that last night made my brain hurt.
Paul
Thanks, I read that before I posted this-and it doesn't really answer all of my questions. I am not looking for a house rule, and so far none of the thirty or so topics at DSF really answer what I need. So back to rereading the books.

Thanks though.
Kagetenshi
Relevant quotes:

"Orientation systems (p. 18) are extremely useful to tactical computer users. If linked to a tactical computer port, an orientation system counts as two senses."

Emphasis added. I'm looking for a better quote, but this supports the conclusion that either a single drone or a single drone network would require one port, regardless of how many effective senses were being provided.

~J
SL James
I am not looking for a house rule

Then you're SOL, dude. There's nothing in any SB that will answer your question. If there was, the houserule wouldn't have been necessary in the first place.
Paul
I'm sorry you feel that way.
SL James
I'm sorry that I needed to make it as well. I hate having to go through the trouble of getting a houserule made and approved. I'd rather smash myself in the scrotum with a hammer.
Platinum
QUOTE (SL James)
I'd rather smash myself in the scrotum with a hammer.

I'd pay a dollar to see you do it too.
Paul
Make that two. I'll pony up for that.
tisoz
QUOTE (SL James)
I'm sorry that I needed to make it as well. I hate having to go through the trouble of getting a houserule made and approved. I'd rather smash myself in the scrotum with a hammer.

If you sold tickets to the scrotum hammering, I think you will rake in more money than any rulebook author made. And you both get your preference.
QUOTE (Platinum @ Feb 22 2006, 08:51 PM)

QUOTE (SL James)

I'd rather smash myself in the scrotum with a hammer.

I'd pay a dollar to see you do it too.

QUOTE (Paul @ Feb 22 2006, 09:58 PM)

Make that two. I'll pony up for that.

Me, too, but it needs to be a standard 16ozer or bigger hammer.
SL James
OBTW, the reason why there's nothing for Tactical Computers and rigging in any SB is because, "Tactical Computer bonuses do not assist in rigging or decking" (M&M, 22).

Hey, Platinum: Lick my ass crack.
Edward
It dose not necessarily follow that rigging dose not help with tactical computers. You can include your team-mates eyes so why not a drones eyes.

Nor dose it make much sense that tactical computers don’t help with rigging, its only slightly different abilitys on the same battle field between metahumans and drones.

Matrix I can see it not working as the terrain is completely different, a tac computer could be used there but it would need to be totally reprogrammed to understand the new meaning of up.

Edward
fistandantilus4.0
semi-related, but does anyone have a problem with using ultrasound sensors/vision along wit ha spatial recognizer and high frequency hearing on one port, or would that be multiple? All cyber in this case, since the Spatial recognizer can be in a non-cybered version.

James: Chill, he was just offering to give you some just compensation for something you your self said you'd rather do when given the choice between that and making a house rule. Personally though, I'd go with the house rule. But that's just me.
tisoz
The way Small Unit Tactics, BattleTac and the Tactical Computer refer to each other makes it look like the author of whichever section you are reading in M&M, CC or R3 thought it would get covered somewhere else.

Saying TC bonuses don't help with Rigging or Decking is silly because it creates or modifies SUT. Then if it is modified for BT, it can be used as a master unit. The only thing I can think they mean is the modified Combat Pool and the Surprise Test Bonuses do not apply.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Feb 23 2006, 01:32 AM)

semi-related, but does anyone have a problem with using ultrasound sensors/vision along with a spatial recognizer and high frequency hearing on one port, or would that be multiple? All cyber in this case, since the Spatial recognizer can be in a non-cybered version.

It would count as one sense toward increasing the TC rating if run through one port. If only 1 sense applied to the current combat situation, your strategy did well. If all the senses applied to the current combat situation, you are stuck with only one point of rating increase..

The standard seems to be one potential rating increase per port.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012