Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Type Damage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dissonance
Okay. Digested a little bit more of the RULEZ, and have come about a couple of questions. Mind you, some of them came about as a result of me watching Mad Max and wanting to do something in a post-war Fallout-esque setting that makes me feel a little bit tingly all over.

I'm getting off topic.

1) How would you modify the damage for a flaming projectile? WOULD you modify the damage for a flaming projectile? Would you, instead, just apply secondary effects to the weapon upon, say, a threshold of, like, 3 net successes?

2) How about flamethrowers/spewers/supersoakers filled with concentrated car wash solution? Can we start hosing people down with napalm? Sure, it's not effective worth a darn, but it IS cool, and that's one of the guiding principles of SR, IMO.

3) I was looking at combat spells, and I couldn't help but wonder. Stunbolt has a touch spell. Manabolt has one. Powerbolt has one. Wouldn't it be possible to apply a -2 drain to your average elemental manipulation and end up with FISTS OF FIIIRAH?
Azralon
QUOTE (Dissonance)
1)  How would you modify the damage for a flaming projectile?  WOULD you modify the damage for a flaming projectile?  Would you, instead, just apply secondary effects to the weapon upon, say, a threshold of, like, 3 net successes?

Flaming bullets? No modifier, as the fire would go out in flight.

Flaming arrows? No DV modifier, but there'd be some sort of chance that whatever they hit would catch on fire. Unfortunately, "catching fire" game mechanics in SR4 consist of the two words "gamemaster discretion."

QUOTE (Dissonance)
2)  How about flamethrowers/spewers/supersoakers filled with concentrated car wash solution?  Can we start hosing people down with napalm?  Sure, it's not effective worth a darn, but it IS cool, and that's one of the guiding principles of SR, IMO.

Concentrated car wash solution fired at high pressure would do 20DV damage against earth spirits. Take that, grimy bastards!

Or, in all seriousness, just assign a physical damage code to your napalm that seems right. There are no rules (that I'm aware of) regarding such things beyond the thermite bar. Burning is "fire damage" and has an arbitrary chance to burn things; that's all we got.

QUOTE (Dissonance)
3)  I was looking at combat spells, and I couldn't help but wonder.  Stunbolt has a touch spell.  Manabolt has one.  Powerbolt has one.  Wouldn't it be possible to apply a -2 drain to your average elemental manipulation and end up with FISTS OF FIIIRAH?

Since we're playing in the realm of house rules, then sure. Likely when the first expansion book comes out with official spell design rules, it'll work exactly like that.
Brahm
Microflare guns do 3P fire damage!

I'm starting to look forward to seeing how the GM handles the chance of setting people on fire, and how well it will work. love.gif My character hasn't taken the opportunity to squeeze off a round yet. He has so far mostly sweet talked, influenced, and delegated around all combat duties that have come up. Or put another way he has managed to get by on lying, intimidating, cowering, and fleeing.
Azralon
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 21 2006, 05:19 PM)
Microflare guns do 3P fire damage!

Woo! I'm gonna make up a microflare-fu adept right after I get off work.
Brahm
There is the cost of its own special skill, but it halves Impact armor! Just make sure your character and all his friends have Flare Compensation, and not just for pun-tabulous reasons.

If you are of low scruples and your GM is easily duped try convince him that you can use it as a weapon out to the 200m range in it's description. rotfl.gif That bests the reach of all other onehanded ranged weapons except very high Strength characters throwing areodynamic grenades.

Plus if your opponent doesn't recognize it as a flaregun there is the intimidation factor of looking down a borehole the thickness of your thumb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012