Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's up with elf hair?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
ok I know the original SR came out of the 80's and the art reflected it, but can someone explain to me why nearly 20 years later artwork showing elves still gives them hair like the lead singer in Kajagoogoo?
eidolon
Cause it's freakin' HAWT.
ChuckRozool
'cause, it's

Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye
Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye
Too shy shy
Hush hush
Kagetenshi
Elves and the '80s are both immortal. Hence, they give honor to each other by reflecting the other.

~J
mfb
three points to Kage.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (ChuckRozool)
'cause, it's

Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye
Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye
Too shy shy
Hush hush

You, sir, win the thread.
SL James
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
ok I know the original SR came out of the 80's and the art reflected it, but can someone explain to me why nearly 20 years later artwork showing elves still gives them hair like the lead singer in Kajagoogoo?

So... How long did it take you to realize the elf headshot in SR2 looks like Bowie in Labyrinth, btw?
Snow_Fox
It's not the early stuff, it's the fact it keeps going. Guys I wore the black lace and little rubber bracelets back then too, but that was then, this is now.
Tanka
I don't know if you noticed it, but Shadowrun is cyberpunk.

As in, the throwing forward of all our fears and failings into the future. From the 80's.

As a result, most people look like 80's rock stars. Or 80's hookers. Take your pick.
SL James
So... You didn't?
tisoz
It's a function of the IE and spike babies. After mankind had forgotten the 4th world, the IE who could not cast magic to alter their eartips invented headware to hide their features. Spike babies adopted the practice. All was good for centuries until a certain President Kennedy started a new hatless trend. Luckily for the pointy eared bastards that needed to hide their ears, a new hairstyle was catching on, promoted by the Beatles and Rock and Roll in general.

At about the same time, a short series of books featuring elves gained mass popularity and the long haired elf became a staple. So even after the hairstyles shortened after the eighties, spurred on no doubt by David Lee Roth's balding pate, some elves clungt to the long hair style as a cultural thing. The later spike babies and the newborn elves had no idea of the hat cover up and the long hair cover up became more culturally entrenched.

Or you could just figure style is cyclical and from the '90's to the '50's, the elves all wore short hair, so long hair may just be coming back in style and could be in style for 50 more years.
MK Ultra
Excellent tisoz (the other funny posters, too).

Well, SR4 states, that many elves have long hair, to conceal thair pointies if they want to (Why dont they just put up pointy white hats, like honest and hard working NORMal citysans, I ask ya?!).

The real answer, however is, even with equal rights and possibilities for all genders, many women still like thair hair to be long wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012