Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone made a rigger yet?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thyme Lost
I've been able to make a mage, a normal hacker, a Techo Hacker, a Troll Sam all really easily.

I've having problems making a rigger.
I wanted to know if anyone one else was able to make a rigger and if they could post the rigger so I could check it out.

Thyme
Oracle
What problems are you facing?
Seven-7
Something you need to realize is that the hacker and technomancer you made ARE riggers. You cant just be a rigger now, it requires pilot softs, command programs, commlinks, firewalls, signals, and a few other things. Those things all fit the hacker set you might notice. Physical riggin, via vehicle skills, just doesn't cut it from what I've seen. Much easier to use the softs. Lots of things you need to protect against too.

Finished product:

This design is 400, with 11BP and 700 Yen to fool around with

Name: Hong Fei
Alias: Swarm
Race: Human
Concept: Hacker/Swarm Rigger
---------------------Attributes-10+20+20+20+20+30+30+30+10:-190BP
Bod: 2/10
Agi: 3/20
Rea: 3/20
Str: 3/20
Cha: 4/20
Int: 4/30
Log: 4/30
Wil: 4/30

Edg: 3/10

Phy Init:
-Passes:
AR Init:
-Passes:
VR Init:
-Passes:
Drone Init:
-Passes:
Astral Init:
-Passes:

Phy Moniter:
Stun Moniter:
Matrix Moniter:
Drone Moniter:
Vehicle Moniter:
---------------------
Damage Resistance
-B/I:2/2
---------------------Active Skills-22+22+18+16+18+18+18+14+18:-164BP
Gunnery(Ballistic): 5/22
Hacking(Commlink): 5/22
Pilot Aircraft(Remote Operation): 4/18
Software: 4/16
Electronic Warfare: 4/16
Hardware(Commlink): 4/18
Computer(Command): 4/18
Aeronautics Mechanic(Rotory Wing): 4/18
Armorer(Heavy Weapons): 4/18
---------------------Knowledge Skills-/ Free

---------------------Qualities- -10-10+5+5+5+5+5+5+5:+15 BP
Codeslinger(Command)/-10
Homeground(X)/-10
Addiction (Mild/Virtual Reality)/+5
Incompetent (Running)/+5
Incompetent (Survival)/+5
Incompetent (Diving)/+5
Incompetent (Leadership)/+5
Incompetent (Throwing Weapons)/+5
Incompetent (Swimming)/+5
---------------------Contacts L/C-BP

---------------------Cyber/Bioware (Ess: 5.30)
Control Rig
Datajack
Smartlink

---------------------Gear-250,000_-50BP
-------Commlink
Commlink (Re:5/Si:5)
-OS (Fi:6/Sy:6)
-AR Gloves
-Biometric Reader
-Sim Module (HOT)
-Common
Analyze R6
Edit R6
Command R6
Encrypt R6
Reality Filter R6
Scan R6
Browse R6

-Hacking
Data Bomb R6
ECCM R6
Exploit R6
Stealth R6

-------Vehicles
Northrup Wasp (PJSS(SS E/T), 10 ExEx Rifle Rounds, Weapons Mount, Rigger Adaptation)
MCT Rotodrone (Pi:4/Re:5/Si:5/Fi:6--Ma:4/CS:4/Ta:4/EW:4) (IWK LMG(SS E/T), 250 ExEx LMG rounds)
MCT Rotodrone (Pi:4/Re:5/Si:5/Fi:6--Ma:4/CS:4/Ta:4/EW:4) (IWK LMG(SS E/T), 250 ExEx LMG rounds)
LoneStar iBall (Pi:3/Re:5/Si:5/Fi:6--Ma:4/CS:4/EW:4)

-109,400 Northrup Wasp
>-0 PJSS Elephant Rifle
>>-400 Fake License (Kang Oran)
>-400 SS (External/Top)
>-100 EXex Rifle Round (10)
>-0 Weapon Mount
>-2,500 Rigger Adaptation

-36,600 MCT Rotodrone
>-2,500 Weapons Mount
>-2,000 IWK LMG
>-400 SS (External/Top)
>-2,500 ExEx LMG Round (250)
>-10,000 Pilot R4
>-3,000 Firewall R6
>-2,000 Clearsight R4
>-2,000 Electronic Warfare R4
>-2,000 Manouver (Aircraft) R4
>-2,000 Targeting (Heavy Weapon) R4
>-4,000 Reseponse R5
>-1,000 Signal R5

-36,600 MCT Rotodrone
>-2,500 Weapons Mount
>-2,000 IWK LMG
>-400 SS (External/Top)
>-2,500 ExEx LMG Round (250)
>-10,000 Pilot R4
>-3,000 Firewall R6
>-2,000 Clearsight R4
>-2,000 Targeting (Heavy Weapon) R4
>-4,000 Reseponse R5
>-1,000 Signal R5

-15500 LS iBall
>-3,000 Firewall R6
>-2,000 Clearsight R4
>-4,000 Reseponse R5
>-1,000 Signal R5

-41700 Meta Link Commlink
>>-1,000 Signal R5
>>-4,000 Reseponse R5
>>-3,000 System R6
>>-3,000 Firewall R6
>-250 AR Gloves
>-200 Biometric Reader
>-350 Sim Module (Hot)
>-600 Analyze R6
>-600 Edit R6
>-600 Command R6
>-600 Encrypt R6
>-600 Reality Filter R6
>-600 Scan R6
>-600 Browse R6
>-6,000 Data Bomb R6
>-6,000 ECCM R6
>-6,000 Exploit R6
>-6,000 Stealth R6

-10,000 Control Rig
-500 Datajack
-1400 Smartlink
>-400 Fake License (Kang Oran)
Thanee
QUOTE (Seven-7)
Incompetent (Running)/+5
Incompetent (Diving)/+5

That's a starting Notoriety of 7. eek.gif

Your team's face will love you! biggrin.gif

"No problem Swarm, we love you, just stay in the back and don't let anyone know you are with us, ok!?"

wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Seven-7
Hahaha, I totally forgot about Notoriety, nice catch. Well one of the bonuses about being a hacker is when you pick up Forgery you can really hide yourself.
Oracle
QUOTE (Seven-7 @ Feb 27 2006, 12:09 PM)
Codeslinger(Command)/-10
Homeground(X)/-10
Incompetent (Running)/+5
Incompetent (Diving)/+5

No GM worth his dice would have allowed that.
SL James
Since you no longer suffer the bastard mods Prometheus imposed, I have toyed with the idea of a drone rigger mage. He'd be an Abomination.
mdynna
QUOTE (Oracle)
Codeslinger(Command)/-10
Homeground(X)/-10
Incompetent (Running)/+5
Incompetent (Diving)/+5

I also limit starting characters to 2 specializations. They continue to be the favoured method of mini-maxers, and muchers worldwide. Though I think 4th Edition will add the Incompetent Flaw to that lofty pedistal as well.
Brahm
QUOTE (mdynna @ Feb 27 2006, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Feb 27 2006, 07:03 AM)
Codeslinger(Command)/-10
Homeground(X)/-10
Incompetent (Running)/+5
Incompetent (Diving)/+5

I also limit starting characters to 2 specializations. They continue to be the favoured method of mini-maxers, and muchers worldwide. Though I think 4th Edition will add the Incompetent Flaw to that lofty pedistal as well.

They aren't very particularly competent min-maxers. 2 BP is a lot higher cost than 2 Karma, and anywhere you might have instead bought the Skill Group it forces you to pay the Skill cost instead.
Dashifen
I hate the incompetent flaw. I've had to turn down more characters with Incompetent: Archery than I care to think about for my current RL game.

</soapbox></hijack>
Thyme Lost
QUOTE (Oracle)
What problems are you facing?

I keep spending to many bp on attributes and skills, leaving to few bp for programs and eq. When I try and get progams and eq first, I don't leave enough bp for attributes and skills.

Thyme
Thanee
Yeah, Incompetent should only be used for skills that the character would have some incentive to actually learn. And one only per character.

I'd even rack it up to 10 BP then.

Bye
Thanee
neko128
QUOTE (Oracle)
Codeslinger(Command)/-10
Homeground(X)/-10
Incompetent (Running)/+5
Incompetent (Diving)/+5

See, maybe it's mean of me, but I probably would ALLOW this character, and then ruthlessly abuse his excessive incompetences. Incompetent/Swimming? Well, doesn't it suck that the boat you had to use to get to your run sank? Incompetent/Survival? Doesn't it suck you're stranded in the desert?

I agree, though, with one of the later posters; you shouldn't be incompetent in anything you won't really use. There are too many "fluff" skills that are great for fleshing out your random few characters... And will never show up in your other 95%.
neko128
QUOTE (mdynna)

I don't agree with this, unless the player is obviously doing in an attempt to min/max things. I mean, from a realism point of view... I can drive ground vehicles, but I'm most definitely specialized in mid-size cars; I can fire guns, and I'm not a bad shot, but I'd qualify as specialized in bolt-action rifles; I'm a pretty good programmer, but I'm mostly experienced with Windows (vs. Mac, Linux/UNIX, etcetera); and so on and so on.

I mostly view specializations in that light; it's more common for people to specialize in reality unless they truly go out to train in the generalization.
TinkerGnome
I almost played a character with Incompotence: Intimidation recently. I fully intended to roleplay it, too, and completely mess up any attempts the team made to intimidate people while I was around. Just revised it out, in the end, since the fewer flaws you take the better off you are in the end.
Cain
The big problem is that you can easily take Incompetences in skills that allow no default, and aren't going to show up in a normal game without serious GM fiat. Incompetence: Industrial Mechanic, for example, is practically a freebie; unless you're a dedicated technician, there's no reason why your role on the team would ever deal with industrial machines, either as primary or backup. And since you can't default to it anyway, you haven't cost yourself anything but a skill you'll never buy in the first place.

Incompetence: Pilot Anthroform is also free points, as long as you're not a rigger, since there are no anthroforms you can pilot without rigging. Incompetence: Pilot [exotic vehicle] gets silly real fast-- exactly how a GM can exploit an inability to pilot a hot air balloon on a regular basis, and maintain any sense of seriousness in the game, is beyond me.

But my favorite has got to be Incompetence: Pilot Aerospace. Exactly *how* the word got around that the character can't fly the Space Shuttle is beyond me. And let's face it, by the time your character is asked to fly a Space Shuttle, he's pretty much screwed anyway.

There's just too many incompetences that can't be exploited by a reasonable GM, and carry absolutely no other penalty.
Ryu
You should only get notoriety for incompetence once. In this case maybe twice - it is extreme after all.

And said player needs to have incompetencies as armorer, cybertechnologist and artisan instead of running, swimming and throwing weapons. Sheesh. dead.gif
Frackula
I allow incompetence if it's a skill relevant to the campaign and the character's choice of specialization. It's not a flaw if it doesn't affect you! A drone rigger would have to pick a rigger-related incompetence, like gunnery.
Brahm
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Feb 27 2006, 11:57 AM)
I almost played a character with Incompotence: Intimidation recently.  I fully intended to roleplay it, too, and completely mess up any attempts the team made to intimidate people while I was around.  Just revised it out, in the end, since the fewer flaws you take the better off you are in the end.

Incompotence:Intimidation is far, far worse than that. Check out the CHARISMA-LINKED OPPOSED TESTS on page 121. You might consider naming the PC Willie Loman. Unless he has a fabulous Willpower this guy is going to be knuckling under to everyone from street beggers to Mr. J.

"You bought a case of tampons?"
"The AR ad that popped up at the supermarket said they'd keep me from worrying about my freshness."
"Uh Bill, exactly how do you expect to use them?"
Dissonance
Maybe if you had to pick a skill group instead of a skill, it'd be less horrifyingly evil.

Well. More horrifyingly evil but less incentive to pick up. Speaking of horrifyingly evil, I just looked over the cyberlimb info. A full-body replacement gives you six extra health boxes. How sick is _that_?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 27 2006, 12:48 PM)
Check out the CHARISMA-LINKED OPPOSED TESTS on page 121.

Wow, I'm glad I ended up editing out. It's worse than that because, since it's a skill test, you have to default to willpower to resist at all and you can't default with incompotence.

You oppose intimidation with intimidation... that's almost silly. It should be a WILL+CHA test just like composure tests (p130). I guess if you were trying to intimidate the other side at the same time, it makes a kind of sense... but still.

Of course, you're not really that much worse off than most of the sample starting characters. Three of them actually have the skill and resist pretty well, but then there are four characters with 3 dice, eight characters with 2 dice and one with 4 dice. Two and 0 are practically the same.
Cain
QUOTE (Frackula @ Feb 27 2006, 10:39 AM)
I allow incompetence if it's a skill relevant to the campaign and the character's choice of specialization. It's not a flaw if it doesn't affect you! A drone rigger would have to pick a  rigger-related incompetence, like gunnery.

The problem here is that good players can come up with excellent in-game reasons for it, and bad players can still exploit it mercilessly. For example, with Incompetence: Industrial Mechanics, a good player might have an excellent backstory (The reason I have so many cyber replacements is because I royally screwed up working in a factory); while a problem player will squeeze past you with a good excuse (I'm a techie, so it applies to my specialty).

Also, reading over the Noteriety rules, the problem is that since Street Cred can never be reduced below 0, having a modifier of over 100 doesn't really hurt you, mechanically speaking. As a starting character, there is no change whatsoever; and even later in the game, your Noteriety doesn't affect rolls the team Face might make. What's more, simply changing your street identity apparently erases the whole thing; since you can impersonate someone else, according to the rules, there's nothing stopping you from impersonating a fake shadowrunner with a neutral reputation.

Speaking of horrifyingly evil, I just looked over the cyberlimb info. A full-body replacement gives you six extra health boxes. How sick is _that_?

Not very, considering that you'd start with a Body of 3. A Body of 6 would confer two extra boxes, and two extra successes per damage resistance test; it'd even out over the course of several hits. It'd be worth it for a Body 1 decker, but it'd suck royally for a dedicated Troll tank.
Dissonance
I'm thinking it'd kind of suck for PCs, yeah, but as an NPC antagonist, though? If you've already gone fullborg, you could easily fit at LEAST 3 more points of body into your chunks. It goes up to six, doesn't it?

I'm away from my BBB, so I can't look anything up right now.

EDIT: And looping back to the incomp issue, you could always just limit it to 1-2 incomp flaws that are, well. ACTUAL flaws. Exploit them. They're flaws.

My favorite flaw right now? Moderate allergy to soy.
Brahm
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Feb 27 2006, 01:19 PM)
You oppose intimidation with intimidation... that's almost silly.  It should be a WILL+CHA test just like composure tests (p130).  I guess if you were trying to intimidate the other side at the same time, it makes a kind of sense... but still.

Not entirely silly. Along with the knowledge of the techniques used should come knowledge of recognizing them and knowledge of the counter-techniques.

I'm not sure about not letting the opposed roll default. If you read the Incompetence description it implies that you can roll the Skill. I think the idea is you can't try to accomplish something, but you do roll to see if you avoid screwing it up royally. But the RAW isn't particularly clear about that.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Brahm)
"You bought a case of tampons?"
"The AR ad that popped up at the supermarket said they'd keep me from worrying about my freshness."
"Uh Bill, exactly how do you expect to use them?"

Best field-expedient bandage for bullet wounds you will ever find. Pads are good for wounds with large surfaces or that bleed a lot, like on the scalp.

And no, I'm not kidding.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Oracle)
Codeslinger(Command)/-10
Homeground(X)/-10
Incompetent (Running)/+5
Incompetent (Diving)/+5

IMO the only one that I would probably nix is diving.

Of course, I'd require the character to be played as morbidly obese, grossly out of shape, and/or possessing some debilitating disease/injury. They would also have to be a total pushover with no ability to exert their own will upon others, not even with whining.
SL James
You win.
Stan Dard
As I see, this is the topic where my question can be properly placed, since it involves a rigger and incompetency.
So: What can a rigger roll when driving, if he's incompetent at piloting ground craft, but have skillwires with rating 3 piloting skillsoft? Can he roll the soft's dice only, or not even that, or is it like he had the skill and so can use the corresponding attribute (Reaction)?
Some explanation: The incompetency would come from that when he tried to learn to drive, he just couldn't handle his arms and legs the right way (he was stressed and therefore unable to make gentle movements). But he was so in love with cars, that he had skillwires implanted to drive them.
Advices are appreciated.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Stan Dard)
As I see, this is the topic where my question can be properly placed, since it involves a rigger and incompetency.
So: What can a rigger roll when driving, if he's incompetent at piloting ground craft, but have skillwires with rating 3 piloting skillsoft? Can he roll the soft's dice only, or not even that, or is it like he had the skill and so can use the corresponding attribute (Reaction)?
Some explanation: The incompetency would come from that when he tried to learn to drive, he just couldn't handle his arms and legs the right way (he was stressed and therefore unable to make gentle movements). But he was so in love with cars, that he had skillwires implanted to drive them.
Advices are appreciated.

Yes, he would roll Skillwire (Rating Activesoft)+Reaction but would not be able to use edge to modify the dice roll, so no fancy maneuvers.
Seven-7
I find it odd everyone avoided the original posters topic just to slam on the Negitive Qualities of my Hacker/Rigger. Giving him those Qualities isn't a bad thing in the least. Now I have more chances to fuck up (Albet, those chances sometimes might be rare on the average run), than if I say, just picked Uncouth (20), Addiction (Mild, Tinkering) (5), and that spirit hate one (5). Since I'm not the teams Fixer and most likely always in VR he'll never make CHA linked tests, same goes for the spirit one.

Now I believe the topic was "How do you build your riggers," not "What do you limit your Incompetence to?" ;p
tisoz
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Mar 6 2006, 05:46 AM)
QUOTE (Stan Dard @ Mar 6 2006, 11:36 AM)
Advices are appreciated.

Yes, he would roll Skillwire (Rating Activesoft)+Reaction but would not be able to use edge to modify the dice roll, so no fancy maneuvers.

So now you can use skillwires (purely physical programmed responses) to rig a vehicle (purely mental task)?

Not to mention getting 5 BP for an incompetance that can be wiped out by spending 3 BP to invest in skillwires and a skillsoft at maximum starting availability. Thereafter it only costs 2 BP with 1000 nuyen.gif left over to counter the 5 BP gain.
Stan Dard
QUOTE (tisoz)
So now you can use skillwires (purely physical programmed responses) to rig a vehicle (purely mental task)?

Not to mention getting 5 BP for an incompetance that can be wiped out by spending 3 BP to invest in skillwires and a skillsoft at maximum starting availability.  Thereafter it only costs 2 BP with 1000 nuyen.gif  left over to counter the 5 BP gain.

Thanks, The Jopp.
tisoz:
A good, normal rigger will have a skill rating of 4 or 5 at driving, so my 3 is not a match for them, plus anyone else can use its edge dice for these tests. I don't feel myself strong.

"Activesofts replicate skills that require physical activity" p. 320.

I would emphasize "reqire" is not "purely consist of". Even remote controlling is a Command+vehicle skill test, and it will still be reaction+veh. skill after "jumping in". However, you're right, that is a cheap solution. I only got one excuse: I had to spare some points for my hacker skills too. And I'm not good at that either, but I'm the only one who always misses a hacker from the team. Oh, and I want more than 2 useful contacts. (I'm so cheap that 15 of my 20 skills are taken grouped. + skillsofts)
Please forgive my techniques, I'll try to make up for it with a better than average background story.
Johnnycache
deleted decided to make a thread srry for the bump
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012