Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wall Clinging
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shockwave_IIc
A Friend of mine was recently asking how to get a character that can leap to the ceiling and stick there. I told him if he wanted to do something like that he'd be better off genning an adept rather then the cyber character he is right now. But then looking at the adept powers there's nothing ther that can do that.

However Rooting doesn't say that he needs to be on the ground, thus with the addition of Wall running or maybe Great Leap i thought that he could possible get away with it.

Any thoughts about this from the floor???
Brahm
Are Gecko Tape Gloves brand new to SR4, or were they in a SOTA book somewhere? If they are somewhere in the SR3 books, or the GM is ok for porting them backwards, they'll do the trick.
Sharaloth
Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can. Can he fly? No.

IIRC Gecko gloves are in SOTA64 though I don't have a page reference handy, it's in the first section with all the spy stuff. If you've got the book with wall running in it, you've got gecko gloves.
warrior_allanon
or could go with a gecko shaman adept, that at least is what i would try first
DigitalSoul
QUOTE (Sharaloth)

IIRC Gecko gloves are in SOTA64 though I don't have a page reference handy, it's in the first section with all the spy stuff. If you've got the book with wall running in it, you've got gecko gloves.

I would think the proper phrase for geko tape gloves starts off as "The itsy, bitsy spider..."
Shockwave_IIc
Yeah i aware of Gecko Gloves because as pointed out i have SOTA64 (The only one i don't in fact is system failure, always out of stock). But though good for indoors, they become unreliable out side.

QUOTE (Sharaloth)

He was thinking more Underworld or the new final fantasy film.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
the new final fantasy film.

I think I would avoid trying to replicate anything in that movie in SR. He'll end up a greasy splatter sooner or later.
Mark McCrea
Make the character a magicians way adept.

Just point one point towards the magic power power (don't have books on hand for the exact name) but this would allow you to take the spell gecko crawls or levitate(if he can reliably cast the spell to carry himself). Either of these spells even at a low force and low magic rating would allow a person to stick to a ceiling with some slow motion across the surface or through the air.

Main reason to take gecko crawl instead of levitate is easier casting (less drain, lower tn) and the flavour of the character.

Moon-Hawk
If you take every bit of cyberware and bio that boosts athletics, plus a naturally good athletics(climbing) skill, and maybe combine cyber-climbing claws from whatever book they were in (I'm not making this up, right?), then using the RAW you can do some pretty fantastic climbing, even without gecko gloves. Maybe not climbing on the ceiling; you'd need gecko gloves for that, but you can easily climb the side of a building.
Sure, the adept will probably be better, but it's doable without magic.
Edward
The disadvantage of climbing claws is they leave marks. But they could mange to crawl across a sealing, I would rule they don’t work on anything smooth you couldn’t hope to damage with them.

I can’t wait until somebody tries to climb across a suspended sealing. Gecko gloves, climbing claws, gecko crawl spell, it doesn’t matter the plaster wont take there weight.

Edward
mfb
another option is to talk with your GM and see what he'd think a fair price would be for a quickened gecko crawl spell at chargen. i'd reccomened requiring an appropriate contact, flaw (eg, hunted), or other game-affecting background element to help explain the spell.

Edward, i'll see your drop ceiling, and raise you one power point sunk into Gliding.
FlakJacket
Gecko tape gloves and claws as have already mentioned are the only two main ways to go with cyber. If he goes the adept route though there's always Steve Kenson's old Knack power combined with the Gecko Crawl spell. Althought I'd probably be tempted to up it to costing a whole power point and adding some restrictions like only able to travel at walking speeds if the spell doesn't already say that.

Edit: That and having to go barefoot unless they want to try moving around just using their hands and arms. smile.gif
Kyuhan
The Handybook has that Adhesion power.
DocMortand
QUOTE (mfb)
Edward, i'll see your drop ceiling, and raise you one power point sunk into Gliding.

I'll see that and raise it - combine levitation with gecko and you could walk upside down on paper and it wouldn't fall - might stick to you, but that's another story.

Of course, gliding brings the whole Rocky the Squirrel aspect...
Kyuhan
This is off topic, but in reference to that new FF film, how many points of Combat Motorbike would you give Cloud? biggrin.gif
mfb
the one reservation i have with the idea of a wall-clinging power is how it will interact with wallrunning. i'd rather not see adepts running all the way up the sides of skyscrapers, pausing for a second or two every few meters--at that point, you may as well just forget it and allow adepts to just wallrun forever. at the same time, i don't want them to be completely incompatible. i guess the suggestion i'd make is that you can either start or finish a wallrun with wall clinging--you can't be wall clinging, then wallrun, and then stop and wall cling some more.

another fix would be to make wallrunning time-based, rather than distance-based, something like one combat turn per 6 points of magic (round up). then, simply put wall clinging and wallrunning on the same timer--you can use both in whatever combination you like, for 1 CT per 6 magic. makes wall clinging a lot less useful, though.
FiveVenoms
QUOTE (Kyuhan)
This is off topic, but in reference to that new FF film, how many points of Combat Motorbike would you give Cloud? biggrin.gif

Although I would personally probably try to slap anyone I know who tried to emulate the Advent Children combat style in SR, I believe the answer you're looking for is "All of them"
Kyuhan
Although I would personally probably try to slap anyone I know who tried to emulate the Advent Children combat style in SR, I believe the answer you're looking for is "All of them"

Haha excellent answer.
Ryu
What about a physical magician? Could do a great leap power + gecko crawl spell combo. Depends on the power level of the campaign of course.
SL James
Not as horrifying as Great Leap and Hydraulic Jacks. Let's see... Great Leap 4, Wallrunning, 4, IA (Athletics) 4, Imp. Attr (Quickness) 2. Add Level 5 jacks, and you can leap 8 vertical meters and then run up the side of most buildings in Seattle if your dice treat you well on the TN 16 test (One would assume you are throwing 20 (Athletics (Jumping) 5 (7) + IA 4 + jacks 5 + GL 4) dice if you're at all serious about this).

Personally, though, I'd want to hit a 48 and perform a standing 24m horizontal jump.

"Hey, look! It's Superman!"

"Hah! Superman wishes he could jump that far."

Spider-Man is a pansy with his little "web shooters."
Kyuhan
Even the golden age Superman could jump an eighth of a mile, way farther than 24 meters...just saying...biggrin.gif
SL James
Goddamn. Does anyone here understand the concept of a "joke?"

I got the idea because the Hulk used to (does?) jump as a means of intercontinental travel.
Wounded Ronin
Eh, just write up a new physad power for him. It'd be like the power that Ryu Hayabusa has in Ninja Gaiden 1. Just force him to be an 80s anime ninja who has to wear a painfully short kimono in his spare time.

Perhaps you could write up an accompanying physad power, "Essence-draining Teabag".
SL James
I spent all day Sunday/Monday effectively building a Mobility Adept ninja before I came to my effing senses (unfortunately, about 24 hours too late) and realized he was entirely wrong for his background, but the ideas... Gods. Towards the end I was visualizing scenes from The Matrix in my head, and I hate that movie.

Now he's just a *smash* *kill* adept, but I liked the idea of him using all of these crazy wire-fu powers (Let's not kid ourselves) as he sneaked through the night in Belfast in heavy armor.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SL James)
Not as horrifying as Great Leap and Hydraulic Jacks. Let's see... Great Leap 4, Wallrunning, 4, IA (Athletics) 4, Imp. Attr (Quickness) 2. Add Level 5 jacks, and you can leap 8 vertical meters and then run up the side of most buildings in Seattle if your dice treat you well on the TN 16 test (One would assume you are throwing 20 (Athletics (Jumping) 5 (7) + IA 4 + jacks 5 + GL 4) dice if you're at all serious about this).

Personally, though, I'd want to hit a 48 and perform a standing 24m horizontal jump.

That's a cool bit of rules fu.

Corp security with pump action shotgun: "PULL!"
Tarantula
I'm amazed, but depending on the ceilings materials (and possible supports behind it) he could easily do it with a magnetic system in most (if not all) his limbs. They have a weight limit of 25kg per limb. This is of course, assuming theres enough ferrous supports in the ceiling.
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (SL James @ Feb 28 2006, 07:23 PM)

That's a cool bit of rules fu.

Thanks. I basically took said adept and went back to his chargen level. (BTW, I based him on the Tir Ghost adepts in Double Take... Holy Shit they have a lot of karma for published NPCs).

Corp security with pump action shotgun:  "PULL!"

Dick? Is that you?
Critias
QUOTE (SL James)

Slap on some dermal plating and a few extra powers (from Initiation), and you've got the bad guy from Rooftops.
SL James
Quite true. But I've been quite smitten with hydraulic jacks for years. I just never really put two and two together until after I read it. An Initiate would be just evil if you could hit the TNs. Investing in some Centering and a Centering Focus, and some karma, and maybe.
Critias
And Balance Augmentation (ear-ware), and a Balance Tail (bodyware), and the "Improved Balance" (or whatever it's called) Adept Power. -5 TN to your jumps, right there. Toss in some Centering, maybe an Aptitude with Athletics (at that point, it's obviously the character's thing) -- and voila.
SL James
I don't know about the tail. For all its functionality, you're still walking around with a effing meter-long metallic tail that wags itself.
Pendaric
Finally an end to the sam vs phys ad argument!
THE CYBER PHYS AD!!
Groan
Great rules-Fu and on the concept drawing board WOW
But to let this creature loose into a game? Some truely exceptional flange-fu required. The implant surgery alone might leave the subject burnt out.
On second thoughts: go for it. biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SL James)
I don't know about the tail. For all its functionality, you're still walking around with a effing meter-long metallic tail that wags itself.

But you can strangle people with it and maybe get a chemical injector addedd to the tip.
mfb
the tail's motions are not under the character's conscious control.
hyzmarca
Reach back, grab it, and use it as a garrotte.
tisoz
Not long and flexible enough and too big around.
Critias
QUOTE (Pendaric)
Finally an end to the sam vs phys ad argument!
THE CYBER PHYS AD!!
Groan

You, uhh, know that it's not like "an adept with some chrome" is some amazing new concept, right? It's not a radical new idea we stumbled across just now, on this thread, don't you?
Pendaric
Calamity. Sorrow. Abyssal torment.
Well enough of my day. To answer your question, am [/B]sadly[/B] aware of this.
I will pour more vitriol to make it clearer next time. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012