Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Be a spy for Disney
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Demonseed Elite
Mickey Mouse needs an intelligence analyst.
Kyuhan
Paranoia paranoia everybody's comin' to get me...

Still, they wouldn't need spies if they weren't evil.
SL James
It kind of makes me wonder if the rumors about the takeover by Apple don't have some measure of truth to them.
Brahm
QUOTE (SL James @ Feb 28 2006, 10:16 AM)
It kind of makes me wonder if the rumors about the takeover by Apple don't have some measure of truth to them.

Given that the market cap of Apple is only about 10% more than Disney, it would be billed as more of a merger than a takeover. Neither of them would give up their name either, they both have way too much name brand.

The real takeover of Disney has already has occur. In exchange for his 20-year ago $10 million dollar investment in Pixar Jobs got a sizable chunk of Disney shares (he now holds the single largest block of Disney shares), a seat on the directors board, and a lot of his Pixar people vaulted high up in Disney's excutive tree.
mmu1
It sounds sinister and paranoid, but actually probably makes sense for a company running theme parks, just as much as having private security.
Kyuhan
Doesn't the big D have extraterritoriality or something too?
warrior_allanon
it should be getting extra-territorality. at least euro-disney and the anticipated aisa-disney should. Whats more, i wish i could qualify for this job, it sounds like something i'm decent at doing anyway. they only things i dont qualify on is the experience and degree, everything else i have
Ryu
Quite appropiate for an entity covering such large areas of estate, especially considering that the parks are (of course) open to the public.
nezumi
QUOTE (Kyuhan)

Yes, including the entire middle third of Florida, I'm sure.

I went to Disneyworld in January. The place is *HUGE* and I was only on the main campus. It has enough real estate to be a mid-sized town, easily, and I only imagine it's grown since.
SL James
QUOTE (Brahm)

Given that the market cap of Apple is only about 10% more than Disney, it would be billed as more of a merger than a takeover. Neither of them would give up their name either, they both have way too much name brand.

The real takeover of Disney has already has occur. In exchange for his 20-year ago $10 million dollar investment in Pixar Jobs got a sizable chunk of Disney shares (he now holds the single largest block of Disney shares), a seat on the directors board, and a lot of his Pixar people vaulted high up in Disney's excutive tree.

Nice to see people care why I said that.

Of course it's false. That's not that point.
Magus
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Kyuhan @ Feb 28 2006, 11:55 AM)

Yes, including the entire middle third of Florida, I'm sure.

I went to Disneyworld in January. The place is *HUGE* and I was only on the main campus. It has enough real estate to be a mid-sized town, easily, and I only imagine it's grown since.

plus in the town of Celebration on Disney Properties Disney has their own police force, which I do believe is allowed to use deadly force, even though it falls under the juridiction of Orange County's Sherrifs Office.
Kyuhan
Now THAT is hella scary.
PBTHHHHT
I do hope their badges are in the shape of the mouse, that would be hilarious.
Snow_Fox
In florida Disney World IS the municipality. After trouble he had with Disney Land, walt made requests of Orlando for Disney World. since he was birnging jobs, construction and tourism to an area that was nothing they gave him what he wanted.

I use to work with a ocuple who met working at Disney world. She was in a shop there and they handed someone over to the Disney Police. She said it sounds like a joke but they are very serious about this.

Since Disney world would be a great target for terorrists this jon is clearly gonig for that. The probably want retired Pentagon or FBI intel, someone who can call up ol' buddies for scope.
Brahm
QUOTE (SL James @ Feb 28 2006, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Feb 28 2006, 09:44 AM)

Nice to see people care why I said that.

Of course it's false. That's not that point.

The point is that Disney has already been taken over. I doubt that a possible takeover from Apple would be the reason that Steve Jobs would have them filling an Intel position. wink.gif

I'd be a bit surprised if this isn't just restaffing an existing position. Like mmu1 suggests with something as US iconic as Disney, a presense in France too, and thousands of visitors as potential victims per day it would be a bit stunning if they weren't already doing this for some time.
eidolon
QUOTE (Brahm)
I'd be a bit surprised if this isn't just restaffing an existing position. Like mmu1 suggests with something as US iconic as Disney, a presense in France too, and thousands of visitors as potential victims per day it would be a bit stunning if they weren't already doing this for some time.

Don't forget Hong Kong.

They've had riots outside the gates there in recent times due to their selling too many tickets. People weren't being allowed in on their "you can go whenever you want" tickets, because everyone wanted to go for the Chinese New Year.
CeaDawg
The intel position has been around since the mid '70s. It was well established when I was stationed in Orlando (78 - 79). Part of their intel ops even ran into evaluating mili-spec hardware that might be used against them and their availability in the region. This was not limited to researching black market sales or paramilitary groups, but government forces in the region as well. They don't trust governments to keep a tight leash on their toys, and have long considered violence against a company's clientelle to be a valid market strategy.
Shrike30
Most cities have a police force authorized for deadly force, why would Celebration be any different? It is a "real" city, after all.
Deadjester
I have worked on Disney on and off over the years and they have a massive tunnel system. No telling whats all down there.

On top of that on a funnier note, a friend of mine use to work for them and talk about what he called the Men in Black.

He said they looked like any old tourist and would walk around and any time they saw sombody messing with the costume people they would come behind them and bump/ram/smack and then quickly disappear in the crowd.

He said he saw them do it to one nasty little kid one day who was punching one of the costume people and out of the crowd came a guy and knocked the kid down and the next second was gone.
Brahm
QUOTE (Deadjester @ Mar 1 2006, 05:24 PM)
On top of that on a funnier note, a friend of mine use to work for them and talk about what he called the Men in Black.

He said they looked like any old tourist and would walk around and any time they saw  sombody messing with the costume people they would come behind them and bump/ram/smack and then quickly disappear in the crowd.

He said he saw them do it to one nasty little kid one day who was punching one of the costume people and out of the crowd came a guy and knocked the kid down and the next second was gone.

LOL, that is an interesting concept that hadn't occured to me. Undercover stealth bouncers doing hit and runs.
Wounded Ronin
I just like how that implies a lot of people attack the costume staff.
PBTHHHHT
From what I've heard, it's really bad, people attacking, pinching, copping a feel off the costume staff.
Brahm
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
From what I've heard, it's really bad, people attacking, pinching, copping a feel off the costume staff.

Groping Goofy? eek.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)

Axel Foley made it popular biggrin.gif
Wounded Ronin
Copping a feel? Pinching? How does that crap even work? Those costumes are huge. I mean, they probably are like 0/3. If I were wearing one of those costumes and someone assaulted me it would be like being a trainer in a freaking Bulletman self defense training suit or something.
Frackula
QUOTE (Deadjester)
I have worked on Disney on and off over the years and they have a massive tunnel system. No telling whats all down there.

He said they looked like any old tourist and would walk around and any time they saw sombody messing with the costume people they would come behind them and bump/ram/smack and then quickly disappear in the crowd.

Whoa. In my Vegas campaign I had undercover Samurai and Adepts doing pretty much the same kind of thing...
nick012000
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Copping a feel? Pinching? How does that crap even work? Those costumes are huge. I mean, they probably are like 0/3. If I were wearing one of those costumes and someone assaulted me it would be like being a trainer in a freaking Bulletman self defense training suit or something.

It's just cloth, ain't it?

Besides, you also have the people like 'Snow White', who are just wearing makeup and costumes- if you start groping her, she'll be able to feel it. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

I take it you haven't seen Full Metal Panic Fumoffu?

Yeah, those costumes apparently are full scale combat armor.

Besides, you also have the people like 'Snow White', who are just wearing makeup and costumes- if you start groping her, she'll be able to feel it.

Yeah...

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012