Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unusual Movement Modifiers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dissonance
So, well, I've been thinking to run a sort of psuedo-thing with some friends over the weekend. Basically, I designed an entirely absurd, Jungle-Gym-From-Hell ordeal in a 10 by 10 meter room, and I'm going to let them slug it out with each other in there for a while. Just to get the hang of combat with mundanes before I start worrying about magic and cyber. I'm just curious about movement modifiers in some cases.

I know that swimming rates and running rates are both in there, but what would the movement rate for slogging through, say, one meter deep water? Something deep enough to present a problem but not deep enough to warrant actually swimming? I'm thinking half walking speed would be acceptable.

Secondly, would you lose any walking/running speed over uneven and/or loose gravel?

And going back to the thing about semi-deep water, how much damage reduction do you think it'd offer from falls? And would it offer damage reduction from firearms? Too much Mythbusters, I know.
ludomastro
This is a great idea. My wife and one guy from work look like they are going to play so I think this is a good way to get them started. I hope you don't mind if I rip the idea ...

QUOTE (Dissonance)

I know that swimming rates and running rates are both in there, but what would the movement rate for slogging through, say, one meter deep water? Something deep enough to present a problem but not deep enough to warrant actually swimming? I'm thinking half walking speed would be acceptable.

Half walking speed is basically swimming speed. I did a little math and thought about some time I spent in a pool during knee rehab (ACL surgery). I suggest the following:

Humans, Eleves & Orks = 7 mpt (Water is about waist deep)
Dwarves = 5 mpt (the water is up to your chest)
Tolls = 12 mpt (Water is below your waist)

QUOTE (Dissonance)

Secondly, would you lose any walking/running speed over uneven and/or loose gravel?

Depends greatly on how loose, how uneven, shoe type, etc. For walking I wouldn't penalize much. For running though, I would require an Agility + Running (X) test. In this case X would be both the speed reduction for safe travel (in mpt) and the threshold to continue running at normal speed without consequence. I would not allow sprinting in this case. Glitch = potential trip posibly requiring another test not to fall on your face. Critical glitch = fall prone.

Maria (human) is running from some ork gangers out in the barrens. (Poor Maria.) She is trying to cut across an abandoned playground which is covered with loose gravel. The gravel is very loose (-5 mpt) and Maria is wearing heels (-2 mpt) Maria could slow down to 18 mpt (a bad idea) or keep running. She faces a Agility + Running (7) Test in order not to fall. Her Running is a 2 and her Agility is a 3. (Good-bye Maria!)

QUOTE (Dissonance)

And going back to the thing about semi-deep water, how much damage reduction do you think it'd offer from falls? And would it offer damage reduction from firearms? Too much Mythbusters, I know.

I happen to love that show; however, based on the RL findings of that episode I would say that meter deep water wouldn't offer much if any protection. SR bullets are very slow compared to RL bullets and therefore wouldn't explode on impact with water like high powered ammo does.

EDIT:
Clarified loose gravel mechanics, added example and corrected bad grammar.
warrior_allanon
also it was only the extremely high powered stuff that shattered on the surface, things like the assault rifles pistols and the SMG's thier round held together just slowed after that first meter, so 1 meter of water would be no hinderence to bullets unless they came from a hunting rifle or a sniper rifle.

As for damage reduction due to the water, i would say none. 3 feet of water even in a large area isnt enough to absorb the shock of a (meta) human body landing from more than 2 or three feet above.
Dissonance
I really like those reduction rules. The place in question has multiple ground types, so it'll come in handy. But, yeah. The whole Playground from Hell idea was just something I threw up one day while talking with a friend.

If you do make use of it, I suggest just making it either a one-off or distancing it from reality as far as possible. Like some kind of Foreign/ Pirate Broadcast from the Barrens Gameshow.

Sort of, I don't know. The Running Man meets Smash TV meets Roman Gladiator Games. One version involved sticking people's arms behind their back with plastic restraints and requiring them to get them melted/cut off before beating the crap out of each other.

Another version involved civilians, hellhounds, and placing bets on who'd survive the longest.
Shrike30
I didn't see this episode of Mythbusters. What kind of ammunition, specifically, were they firing out of these rifles? And at what angle to the surface of the water?
Dissonance
It's been a while, but the first shots were with a 9mm at 90 degrees, which took something like 9 meters.

After they broke the rig with a shotgun, they switched to a public pool. They went to firing at about a 35/45 degree angle. The interesting thing was that the higher caliber stuff, like the .50 cal? Obliterates as soon as it hits the surface of the water.

They also tested a civil-war-era rifle I think, too. And that one was safe from penetration at 3 meters. Or feet. Like I said, it's been a while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012