Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Helicopter drone
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tarantula
Even though I don't spend a number of hours per day on the site anymore, this is too cool not to show to all the rigger wannabes.

http://www.defensereview.com/article846.html
Edward
Much is made in the first half of the article about the ability of the new UCAV to put thousands of projectiles into a target every minute, or hundreds of solid slugs or 12 gage grenades.

“destroy/terminate (i.e. kill) the enemy with extreme prejudice at 300 rounds-per-minute (and potentially tens of thousands of actual projectiles per-minute)”

in the authors note at the end it mentions a lager version under construction with 2 such weapons and benefiting from drum mags holding 30-42 rounds currently under development. I think it will want a larger ammunition capacity (probably requiring belt feed) before it will see its true potential.

Also jugging from the photographs the vehicle is unarmored.

Deployed in small numbers they could easily be shot down with small arms fire although they would likely remain more effective than a like number of infantry.

Deployed in large numbers they would be highly useful but a resurgence of old flack style anti aircraft weapons would shred them in large numbers. I would like to see that.

Edward
nick012000
Now, the real question is whether or not it can fit through doors.

If so, it can do urban warfare quite well.
Edward
While it /might/ fit threw doors it would be a tight fit and you could esaly crash, if it can fly threw a doorway reliably it still cant open them itself and the door must be fully open to allow it access.

Edward
nick012000
QUOTE (Edward)
While it /might/ fit threw doors it would be a tight fit and you could esaly crash, if it can fly threw a doorway reliably it still cant open them itself and the door must be fully open to allow it access.

Edward

Sure it can open doors. It has a shotgun. nyahnyah.gif
Austere Emancipator
A few more rotor UAVs.
Edward
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 2 2006, 04:52 AM)

Edward

Sure it can open doors. It has a shotgun. nyahnyah.gif

A shotgun wont likely remove the door entirely, if the door doesn’t swing fully open then the drone can not enter (this is why in SR I use VTA drones for indoor work, they can push the door open without damaging rotors) it would take 3-4 shots to clear the way threw a normal doorway (lock and 2 or 3 hinges), more if it was a security door (the security screen on my old house had 3 hinges and lock bolts top bottom and buy the handle.

Not saying it couldn’t do it, just that it’s inefficient and unsubtle (the people on the other side hear it shoot out the lock and get in position while it’s shooting out hinges, no element of surprise).

Edward
Austere Emancipator
The AutoCopter that the article refers to has a main rotor diameter of almost 2 meters (1975mm), and is over 2 meters long (2184.4mm). So no, it won't fit through doors.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
A few more rotor UAVs.

The biggest difference between those and this, is the size. Your links appear to be full helicopter sized unmanned vehicle. While this one is much more drone sized.
Austere Emancipator
"Drone" is not a description of size. nyahnyah.gif The US Navy VTUAV project described a minimum payload 15 times that of the AutoCopter so they're obviously quite a bit bigger, but they're still tiny compared to actual helos -- the Vigilane UAV, for example, has a maximum gross take-off weight 1/3rd of an MD500/H-6. If you want something more compact but still seriously useful you could try this. Or, if you only want something that you can launch off the back of your van and that can fire a few stray rounds at the enemy while doing urban recon before becoming a seriously expensive pile of plastic junk, I'd suggest the Cypher II/Dragon Warrior.

I guess the AutoCopter will make for a cheaper pile of junk, though.
ronin3338
Try this:
http://www.dragonflypictures.com/Product.htm

They are working on one using this weapon system:
http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?src=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012