Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: houseboats
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
ok I've got the teravel channel on and by coincidence they are doing Seatle.

they are saying there are a limited number allowed now in Seattle, around 400 and they sell for between $300,000-$1,000,000 in 2006.

I've heard about barge cruises in France but this could be a whole other string of runs.
stevebugge
Hardly luxury accomodations. There are some nice houseboats, but the majority are pretty modest. Keep in mind that the average house in Seattle now sells for around $350000 - $400,000, the nice ones in good neighborhoods for much more. Houseboats are typically moored along the shores of Lake Union and in Portage Bay (between Lake Union and Lake Washington) most must be towed to be moved, very few have their own power.
tisoz
More old news, or doesn't anyone remember where Tom Hanks character lived in Sleepless in Seattle?
stevebugge
QUOTE (tisoz @ Mar 5 2006, 11:50 AM)
More old news, or doesn't anyone remember where Tom Hanks character lived in Sleepless in Seattle?

Judging by the movie, I don't think he knew either

EDIT: Elaborating on this a little, I'm referring to the infamous motorboat to Alki Beach scene. Going from Lake Union to Alki by boat requires going through the Ship Canal, through the Ballard Locks (which can take hours) around Magnolia and accross Elliot Bay. Long trip in a boat that size.

As long as I'm discussing Seattle's waterways there is a Canal that connects Lake Samamish (divides the Barrens from Bellevue IIRC) to Lake Washington, tip for Redmond based boat riggers.
Platinum
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Hardly luxury accomodations. There are some nice houseboats, but the majority are pretty modest. Keep in mind that the average house in Seattle now sells for around $350000 - $400,000, the nice ones in good neighborhoods for much more. Houseboats are typically moored along the shores of Lake Union and in Portage Bay (between Lake Union and Lake Washington) most must be towed to be moved, very few have their own power.

Ha ... the average townhouse in Toronto sells for $300,000. Single bedroom condos on for $180,000. This is in Canadian, so that is about $5 US.
Adam
Having cashed a USD check on Thursday .... I wish. wink.gif
Shrike30
The main reason houseboats are so expensive in Seattle is the mooring restrictions... it's extremely difficult/impossible to make new houseboats under the current laws, so the old ones are now pretty much the only way you're gonna get one.

Most of them are unpowered, and monthly mooring costs are huge. Not for the faint of wallet.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Mar 6 2006, 10:36 AM)
The main reason houseboats are so expensive in Seattle is the mooring restrictions... it's extremely difficult/impossible to make new houseboats under the current laws, so the old ones are now pretty much the only way you're gonna get one.

Most of them are unpowered, and monthly mooring costs are huge.  Not for the faint of wallet.

That's true too. The sale price doesn't include the ongoing moorage costs. Maintenance of a Houseboat is a little more expensive than a regular house too, then there is all the usual costs of Water/Sewer/Garbage, phone, and electricity. Also the marinas they tend to be moored in are somewhat difficult for Fire Fighters to operate in. In short there are some special considerations for Runners who live in houseboats relating to things like parking and basic services. Also the marinas tht do allow houseboats moor houseboats together in pretty tight areas, so the rigger isn't likely to have his yacht tied up to his front deck, small boat maybe.
Shrike30
Houseboot moorage and large-boat moorage are two entirely seperate things. About the biggest thing I've ever seen tied up outside of a houseboat is a Boston Whaler.

I'm sure you could probably tie something larger up on the end of the dock that your houseboat is attached to, but your neighbors might complain about your 34-foot compensator blocking their view.

Given the water quality of Lake Union today (bad), I shudder to think what it might be like in 70 years, especially with the South Lake Union neighborhood's current mayor-driven push towards biotech industry.
stevebugge
Remember Blinky the 3 eyed fish?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
ok I've got the teravel channel on and by coincidence they are doing Seatle.

they are saying there are a limited number allowed now in Seattle, around 400 and they sell for between $300,000-$1,000,000 in 2006.

I've heard about barge cruises in France but this could be a whole other string of runs.

Meh, too easy. The fact that they're floating in the water just creates so many options for hiding and entry. And the temptation to slip on some SCUBA gear and totally cover the bottom of each house with C4 would be too strong for most players to resist. Like, even if there was no reason not to.

"Let's see how this GM's water splash explosion effects work. I also want to see how he handles debris patterns following explosions on the water."

"I'M NOT AN X-BOX, DAMMIT! START ROLL PLAYING AND STOP CARING ABOUT THE SEAMLESS IMMERSIVENESS OF MY GAME WORLD!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012