Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glow City?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gomez
Sorry I am a bit new to Shadowrun. I came across a mention of Glow City in a adventure that I was reading. What is Glow City? I need to know for a up coming game.
Backgammon
Glow City is in the Seattle barrens (do you know what those are?). It's an old nuclear plant that had a melt down, spewing radio active yukiness around it. But, some of the more desperate squatters figured "why let all that good land go to waste?" and moved in, creating a squatter community known as Glow City.

People over there, as you can imagine, suffer from radioactivity sicknesses and malformations. The Rust Stilletoes, an orc gang that doesn't look very healthy, claims the area as their turf.

Hope that helps!
Gomez
That helps a lot! Thanks!
emo samurai
Why do they call themselves the Rust Stilettoes? As opposed to normal ones? Rusty one's aren't really worse than normal ones except for the fact they give you lockjaw, and if they're living in Glow City, I'm pretty sure they aren't ones for long-term thinking.
Tanka
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Why do they call themselves the Rust Stilettoes? As opposed to normal ones? Rusty one's aren't really worse than normal ones except for the fact they give you lockjaw, and if they're living in Glow City, I'm pretty sure they aren't ones for long-term thinking.

It's all about the name. Calling yourself "The Stilettos" will get you laughed at. Calling yourself "The Rusty Stilettos" is somehow meaner and more fear-inducing.

(No, I don't see it either. Whatever.)
emo samurai
Why not the bloody stilletos? The big choppers? The angels of death? The puppy stranglers? They need to fire their marketing consultant.
DigitalSoul
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Mar 5 2006, 07:39 PM)
Why not the bloody stilletos? The big choppers? The angels of death? The puppy stranglers? They need to fire their marketing consultant.

They had a marketing consultant?

Well I would say rusty has that down-and-dirty kind of feel to it, fitting for a dirty place like Glow City (which is in Redmond).

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Glow City is in the Seattle barrens (do you know what those are?).

The Barrens would refer to the combined squalor of Redmond and Puyallup currently.
emo samurai
The joke is that they don't. As for "rusty," that can also be associated with "ineffective" and "dull."
hyzmarca
The gangs of Shadowrun are sort of like the theme gangs from The Warriors. The theme doesn't have to make sense. It simply provides a greater sense of unity and belonging to the gang's members.
DigitalSoul
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Mar 5 2006, 07:56 PM)
The joke is that they don't. As for "rusty," that can also be associated with "ineffective" and "dull."

They're a gang, they're not supposed to be that effective/organized anyway (of course Lord Togo might have something to say about that generalization).
emo samurai
Lord Togo?
DigitalSoul
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Lord Togo?

Leader of the Spikes, views himself as a warlord and that his gang is his private militia.
SL James
Lord Torgo is also the size of a small building, hates elves, and took over a gang after wiping out an elven go-gang singlehandedly.
Tanka
QUOTE (emo samurai)

Rust still kills. Just because it's rusty doesn't mean it's lost its value. In fact, I'd call rusty blades more valuable in gang warfare because of the lack of medicine and such in most gangs. Stab enough people with rusty blades and you end up winning by attrition.
emo samurai
But I don't visualize gangs as going for the long-term kill thing. They seem to abhor subtlety and the long view of things, and rust doesn't make a quick death.
Tanka
It doesn't make an immediate death, but it can be as short as 3 days later that the victim will die (depending on the wound, 'natch).

I dunno 'bout you, but loading a Street Sweeper (yes, yes, 3rd Ed., shut up) with rusty blades and such will suck hard for anyone getting hit with them.

Shoot that thing off, drop it, and attack everyone else that wasn't hit. Have enough gangers doing this, and the other gang is going to be hurting big time in a few days if they don't seek proper medical attention.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (emo samurai)
But I don't visualize gangs as going for the long-term kill thing. They seem to abhor subtlety and the long view of things, and rust doesn't make a quick death.

gangs are as varied as people. it all depends on what quality of leadership they have wink.gif
(hell, are there not a RL gang where there leaders lead from inside the prison?)

basicly, never underestimate your enemy...

hmm, i have some kind of movie quote in by head:
"hmm, a smart guard. didnt see that one coming"
PlatonicPimp
It's from Titan AE.
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (emo samurai)

How about the Hell's Satans, or the Christ Punchers?
JongWK
Have you actually seen the names of some Central American gangs nowadays?
Oracle
No. And I am happy about it.
The Jopp
QUOTE (JongWK)
Have you actually seen the names of some Central American gangs nowadays?

Wasn’t there some large gang in the US that was one of the largest/most criminal called the ”crisps” or something?

That’b a nice nickname after they’ve been hit by a few phosphor grenades. biggrin.gif
Oracle
Crisps??? Like the british word for potato-chips??? That offers nice possibilities for sponsoring.... rotfl.gif
Cang
well, keeping with the glow city thread cyber.gif , i just ran a mission in glow city. They ended up having a old fashion showdown with burning bones (the radiation shaman), a toxic fire spirit (radiation is the invisible fire) and a toxic hell hound. It was tons of fun. They almost got burning bones, but last second he vanished. My team thought he knew he had some sort of teleport spell. When i told them later that their isnt a teleport spell and he just went invisible, they were pretty ticked. haha.

Also my team sneaked into the current reactor in glow city and after the mission suffered some really bad radiation sickness. One of my characters mutated (well he wanted to surge so i figured this would work) and another spent 3 weeks in a hospital and flatlined twice. The little girl mage didn't even get a headache. nyahnyah.gif
Adam
QUOTE (The Jopp)
Wasn’t there some large gang in the US that was one of the largest/most criminal called the ”crisps” or something?

You're thinking of the Crips
Waltermandias
Lay off! It's better than their old name, The Dirty Shivs.
mintcar
QUOTE (emo samurai)

They follow a long tradition of gang names like "The Dead Rabbits", "Roach Guards", "Gypsy Jokers" and whatever. You're much cooler if you can have a name that's a joke, and still kick some poser gang called "Mighty Blades of Doom" to kingdom come.
Brahm
Just basing it on name alone I'd take more seriously Rusty Stilettos than Mighty Blades of Doom.

Slightly Soiled Shanks? Not so much. smile.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Mar 5 2006, 07:39 PM)

How about the Hell's Satans, or the Christ Punchers?

Thoses are Go-gang names not street gang names. If you give your street gang a Go-gang name everyone will laugh at you. Then you'll have to buy motorcycles and pay for Motorcyc;e B/R lessons for everyone in your gang.
tisoz
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Mar 5 2006, 06:44 PM)

It's all about the name. Calling yourself "The Stilettos" will get you laughed at. Calling yourself "The Rusty Stilettos" is somehow meaner and more fear-inducing.

(No, I don't see it either. Whatever.)

Stilletos are also referring to a type of shoe with a spiked high heal. Really gonna get laughed at for that, gangers running around in their high heals. So they needed an adjective that differentiated from foot wear. You don't really think of shoes as rusting, but metal rusts and oh yeah stilletos are knife like weapons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012