Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberoptic Cameras / Probes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mmu1
One of the characters I play is B&E oriented, and having a camera with a flexible lead that could be stuck under doors, around corners, through holes - you name it - has repeatedly struck me as something that'd be extremely useful.

However, it seems to (unless I just don't have the right books) have been overlooked by the SR designers, so I figured I'd double check, and see what kind of ideas people had as far as making one yourself is concerned.

Now, a fairly basic one, you could presumably put together out of components available over the counter - a small camera, fitted with a fiberoptic probe, and a datajack of some sort, so you can feed it into your image link and don't need a display. Still, there's always the question of how much it'd cost... And how that price would change if you wanted to add low light and IR modes to it, for better performance. Should it be based on the prices of various imaging scopes? Cybereye enhancements?

Or better yet, what would it take to simply make a fiberoptic probe that'd optically allow you to see through it, thus using your already installed vision enhancements?
TinkerGnome
You can do it. There are rules for it... somewhere. Don't have all my books on me right now.

Nastily enough, mages can throw spells down fiber optic cables.
Shrike30
There's gear like this described in the SR4 main book... myomeric cable (cable that can do snake tricks) with fiber optics in the center and a lens on the end. Available with 10, 20, and 30 meter cables (hopefully small nyahnyah.gif ). While they were aimed at mages ("Magesight Goggles"), they'd work for anyone who wants to see places they can't necessarily get.
TinkerGnome
Well, I was getting at the fact that this stuff existed in SR3, as well. It's just not in the core book. I think it's hidden in either MitS or one of the SOTA books. However, I'll have to look.

I think it was originally in the Corporate Security Handbook back in SR2.
mmu1
Yeah, I need a SR3 solution...
Shrike30
Easiest solution might be to look up the cost of an endoscope (surgical tool that uses fiber optics) using Google, and then talk to your GM about modifying it for SR purposes. I don't specifically recall SR3 having a tool like this (although the tech would obviously be there, and is used for mages in building security), but that doesn't mean it's not around, just that I haven't looked at the right sourcebook.
langolas
I think rules for fiber optics was in Corporate Security Handbook. I've been looking through it for the same reason (drop a stun ball spell while looking through the fiber optic cable - and hopefully avoid getting shot to drek.

don't' know what page - but it should be in there.
Edward
It should be available, I don’t know how well it represents reality but a lot of Special Forces units on TV seem to have exactly what you want. and most stuff TV special forces get seems to be available in SR

Edward
eidolon
First one that came up. Much more expensive than I would have guessed.

http://www.cornerstonesecurityservices.com/st403.htm
TinkerGnome
I was half right, the security system was brought forward in SOTA 2063, but handheld units were not. Just ask your GM and let him set a price. The tech is around (as the magical system evidences), so you just have to find a way to use it.
Wounded Ronin
Just look up the price of one of those things they use to check you for colon cancer.
tisoz
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Just look up the price of one of those things they use to check you for colon cancer.

A rubber glove and vaseline?
eidolon
Rubber glove: $5 a box.
Vaseline: $5 a tub.
Having a cute nurse on annual checkup day?

...Priceless.

(I'm not there yet, but I can hope it's not a burly nurse named Boris when I am.)
Platinum
QUOTE (eidolon @ Mar 7 2006, 02:26 AM)
Rubber glove:  $5 a box.
Vaseline:  $5 a tub.

...Priceless.

That would not always be great. Thinking don't get a wood, or she will think I am gay and like this. There are times in your life when you do not want a cute girl around.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Platinum)
That would not always be great. Thinking don't get a wood, or she will think I am gay and like this. There are times in your life when you do not want a cute girl around.

Hmm... I'm not quite old enough to need that particular proceedure (which doesn't have anything to do with colon cancer, I don't think...), I'd have to say I'd be more nervous about popping wood with Boris around than the girl. At least with the girl it might have been her that caused it.

There is no reason to ever want a woman to give you the hernia test, though. Doctor's offices are cold.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Platinum)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Mar 7 2006, 02:26 AM)
Rubber glove:  $5 a box.
Vaseline:  $5 a tub.

...Priceless.

Eh, statistically I'll bet most nurses aren't cute. So you're always in danger.
Shrike30
You use a scope to check for colon cancer because you're checking for polyps along a significant length of colon, noticeably longer than your finger. Those polyps can also be small enough that you really wouldn't be able to feel them using the sit-n-spin method.
tisoz
QUOTE (Shrike30)
You use a scope to check for colon cancer because you're checking for polyps along a significant length of colon, noticeably longer than your finger. Those polyps can also be small enough that you really wouldn't be able to feel them using the sit-n-spin method.

But he told me he was checking for cancer!
Edward
There is some value in the finger testing for cancer, if you have piles then that explains the bloody stool that could have been cancer and the even less comfortable endoscope examination becomes low priority.

Edward
eidolon
QUOTE (Shrike30)

It's getting sos you can't even tell a joke 'round 'ere.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012