Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few Magical Questions (4th Edition)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ravor
I have a few questions,

From the viewpoint of being the most effective, when targetting non-living Objects, what are the opinions on being better off dealing with the Threshold to hit a Drone with a Direct Spell, or dealing with the two Resistance Tests of an Indirect Spell? ( Powerbolt vs Flamethrower without counting the Secondary Elemental Effects.)

Also, I would assume that an Indirect Area Spell would be able affect targets that you couldn't actually see, but I can't seem to actually find that in the book. (Why couldn't the flames from my Fireball burn someone hiding just around the corner and out of my sight? I understand Powerball not working as I have nothing to 'Ground' my magic to, but with an Indirect Spell doesn't the actual Magic end at the Point of Origin for the Area Blast?)

What are Changlings? (I quit buying 3rd Edition books before Year of the Comet came out.)

Thank you for your time.

{Edit} Also, I assume that even though Mana Barriers do not keep their Creator from passing through, they still affect any spells that he may cast, right? (Otherwise what is to keep a Security Mage from setting up a Mana Barrier behind a transparent barrier and blasting at any intruders they see?(
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Ravor)
What are Changlings? (I quit buying 3rd Edition books before Year of the Comet came out.)

SURGEd people. It's in Year of the Comet.
Dashifen
I've always prefered the threshold of direct spells against objects. The object resistence of your average electronics is 3 and your vehicles and drones are listed 4+. I'd hesitate to go beyond 4 with too much, maybe an airplane and military vehicles. Plus, the lower drain code of the direct combat spells means that if the first one doesn't work, you can probably throw a second one as necessary.

As for indirect spells reaching targets you can't see, that's a resounding yes in my book. That's an upside to fireball that, say, stunball doesn't have. If you can't see the target, you can't hit them with a stunball. But, if the target is around the corner, you can drop a fireball in the corner and watch the previously covered enemies go out extra crispy style. Also works on people shooting from cover. Don't target them, target the space three meters behind them with a fireball smile.gif Plays hell with the GM (I know, I am the GM) but it's a great mage tactic.

Changelings, as TinkerGnome said, are those who have SURGEd. SURGE is Sudden, Unexpected Recessive Genetic Expression, if I remember correctly. Essentially, it was another little round of goblinization where people developed all sorts of quirky things like feathers, talks, and bone spikes.

And, for your edit:

Mana Barrier creates an invisible barrier of magical energy with a Force equal to the net hits scored. Th is barrier does not restrict living beings or physical objects, but it does impede spirits, foci, dual beings, and spells. If cast on the astral plane, it also impedes astral forms and restricts visibility. Any target of a spell that is on the other side of the Mana Barrier receives a bonus to its spell resistance dice pool equal to the barrier’s Force. See p. 185 for more information on mana barriers.

Yes, any spells cast through it are more easily resisted by the target of the spell, even the caster's spells. Great way too provide "counterspelling" dice. Also a good way to hold watchers in place since they probably don't win when trying to force through the barrier smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012