Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are there some many useless spells?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mardegun
I know this has been brought up before, but can people remind me of your opinions.

What is the use of the following spells?

Why take invisibly over improved invisibly?
Improved does what regular invisibly and more. The drain is not different enough to make taking invisibly worth it.

What would you ever to take Improve Reflexes +1 or +2 when you can have +3?
Am I missing something? I have thought about requiring a caster to know +1 and +2 before +3, but I don’t have the heart to force that on my players.

What should you ever take Stabilize when you can heal or treat instead?
This one is easy, because I am going to enforce in my game that a character at a deadly wound has to be stabilized BEFORE they can be healed. This is how first aid works, so why not do the same for the spell?

There are a LOT of other spells that have the same problems as the above ones? What are your people opinions?
Crusher Bob
Actually, there are plenty of uses for stabilize:

If you are looking at casting heal on someone who needs stabilization, you are looking at deadly drain, which you might not be able to take and still maintain the spell for the required amount of time.

If the person you need to heal is into overflow, and you can be sure you will be enough success to bring them back up, then you can stabilize them instead.
Mardegun
Ok, I see where you are going with that, but why not do first aid or a trama patch instead? True that the spell will work more often, but unless your caster is a dedicated healer, not spell the points?

I guess my point is that while many “pointless” spells have a creative use, they are not worth spelling spell points or karma on … unless you have a lot to spare, in which case it doesn’t really matter. The only other reason to buy these kinds of spells is if your character specializes in a particular area, like a healer for example.

All in all I think that drain isn't as important as the rules would hope in some cases; am I making sense?
tisoz
QUOTE (Mardegun)

I'll even combine this with a use for Mask as opposed to Physical Mask. wink.gif

Say the runners decide to create a bit of film footage. They cast Physical Mask on a PC to make hime look like a troll (or other disreputable, racist being), then cast Mask on the same PC to make them look like the mark. They cast Invisibilty and Improved Invisibility on the camera men.

They go meet the mark's wife for an amorous afternoon. It looks to the wife like she is with her husband. On camera, it looks like the wife is with a troll and depending on editing, like she was aware/unaware of the cameras recording the incident.

This one is a bit harder to rationalize other than drain considerations of having to recast while on a run every time an astral barrier is encountered.

Organlegging. You have all these Deadly damage bodies, Stabilize them until you get them to where you can properly organleg them. They are still at Deadly damage and incapacitated.

I had a group do this to the gang in Food Fight. They organlegged all but Zany and Wiley. Zany they sold as a meat puppet, Wiley they had conjure spirits that would go free so they could bind. So, I guess as a prelude to slavery, too.
Cain

In addition to Drain, it can help you confuse the issue dramatically. For example, you can cover a drone with Invisibility, and have it act as a decoy on one side of a compound. The automated systems will go after it, drawing off the live response teams-- but they won't be able to find it. In the meanwhile, you and your team have a clear field to enter.

None, other than Drain. It gets pretty crazy to cast Inc. Reflexes 3 in the middle of a run, repeatedly.

In addition to what CB said, you can Stabilize a mage who's taken physical Drain damage. Also, remember that these spells aren't just for PC's-- they're spells the PC's are likely to encounter. A DocWagon mage will probably have Stabilize at a reasonable force.

Another trick: if you've got multiple mages, or have access to NPC mages, you can Stabilize the character for later healing. Since you only get one successful attempt at magical healing, you'll get better results if you can use Ritual Sorcery to cast your Heal spell.

Ok, I see where you are going with that, but why not do first aid or a trama patch instead?

First Aid takes time, often more time than a Stabilize spell does. And a trauma patch only works when the first roll has failed, and carries a bunch of penalties all its own.

I guess my point is that while many “pointless” spells have a creative use, they are not worth spelling spell points or karma on … unless you have a lot to spare, in which case it doesn’t really matter. The only other reason to buy these kinds of spells is if your character specializes in a particular area, like a healer for example.

It does depend on your character concept, but you can get a lot of mileage out of "useless" spells. One character of mine was a mage/beautician, who had both Fashion and Makeover at force 6. She used them as instant disguises for the team, allowing them to totally alter their appearance within seconds. The best part was this: she didn't get hit with a sustaining penalty, and once she removed the astral signatures, there was no trace of magic whatsoever.
Crusher Bob
Fashion and makeover are both great spells in that they allow you to quickly change your appearance. With a few minutes of hiding (and a heal spell) you can go from a ganger with the glow-orange hair and clothes full of bullet holes to a frightened suit with a conservative haircut who hid when all the shooting started.
Paul
All of this assumes when you're recieving your education you have the option. Why take the "lesser" spell? Well maybe it's all you had. Not everything should be decided from a number crunching perspective.
Mardegun
Thanks for the responses guys.

Let me first say that the choice of the word “useless” was incorrect. A better word would be “redundant” or “lesser” version.

Let me address some major points that people have brought up.

… to recast (IR +3) while on a run every time an astral barrier is encountered

True, but is anyone really going to take IR +1 or +2 because of that? No, most people are just going to grin and bare it.

Keep in mind you have a very GOOD point, but your perspective is hardly ever appreciated in-game.

Also, remember that these spells aren't just for PC's-- they're spells the PC's are likely to encounter.

True, this is why I like to have NPCs with spells that PC don’t normally use.

First Aid takes time, often more time than a Stabilize spell does.

Yeah this is the main advantage, but again it is not something a PC would get unless they are a healer. No?

It does depend on your character concept, but you can get a lot of mileage out of "useless" spells.

Again my choice of the word “useless” was poor. My intent with this thread was only to talk about similar spells.

All of this assumes when you're receiving your education you have the option.

Very good point. The only thing is that this is a complete RP reasoning and lacks practicality. As a GM can you really tell a player “Sorry can’t have improved invisibility, because you went to a community college instead of a university” wink.gif

In any case I am all for role playing these kinds of aspects, but that is hardly how most people think. In other words since the BBB doesn’t even hint at this aspect of the game, it is left up to the reader to come up with.

Not everything should be decided from a number crunching perspective.

While I bet you were not trying to be disrespectful with this comment, please show some more class. Don’t oversimplify the thread by implying I or anyone else here is single or simple minded.

As I mentioned above it is very natural to conclude that some spells are redundant or “useless”. Again I am only talking about spells that share the same function, for example invisibility vs. improved or mask vs., physical mask.

If the book described the spells in a way to explain why a person would take one over the other, that would have been good … not very practical to spend words on this, but it would have helped.

For example take a real world example I told a player once. I had a player once ask me “Why would anyone use anything other than a predator? All the other guns do far less damage.”

Now is my player being an evil number cruncher or is he plain stupid? Of course he is neither one of these. He is simply seeing the situation how it is presented. When I asked him to think of it in real life terms it made more sense. I asked him, why doesn’t everyone walk around with 45 caliber pistol?

Well because there is a culture important to welding a weapon of that much power. Someone see you carrying that weapon and they assume you are a certain kind of person. Is it worth the hassle of carrying that weapon? Once a person understands this it makes more sense to carry a lighter weapon.

Is this a practical game play element to use in a game? It is hard to get this point across to PCs.

In any case you could say the same thing about spells, however the legality is even less clear with spells. All that matter in regards to the law the force, which isn’t an accurate way to think of spells.

The bottom line is that this topic is not about number crunching. In fact I am trying to find a logical reason to NOT do simple number crunching. All in all I wish the BBB would have describe the culture important … I know I am dreaming. Lol

Make sense now Paul?
Wounded Ronin
They're just there in case you ran out of points with which to purchase spells but had enough to get a lesser version.

Besides, John Mullins wouldn't need the +3. nyahnyah.gif
BookWyrm
Some spells are quicker to learn than others. Stabilize buys you a quick fix so you can get out of a sticky situation fast, where as Heal takes time & a LOT of power. Improved Reflexes +1 or +2 cost less, but don't overbalance the game. Invisibility, instead of Improved Invisibility, can help you better when you just need to get in & out.
brennanhawkwood
Most of my characters that took the 'lesser' versions of various spells did it for in character reasons. I once had a player describe taking Stabilize on a character that was anything but a healer simply because he looked at it as the magical equivelent to knowing CPR. In the case of that specific character's background the school he learned magic at considered it a 'required' to learn spell. Of course...not all sources of magical training would have such an attitude.
tisoz
A shapeshifter growing up out in the wild might never encounter technological devices, so there would be no reason to learn, nor maybe way to learn the physical version of a spell.

In picking the mana versions, I'd think of instances where fooling the meat is desired but fooling tech is either not needed or not wanted.
Mardegun
So it seems the only reason to take some spells are for character reasons huh?
Taran
QUOTE (tisoz)
I'll even combine this with a use for Mask as opposed to Physical Mask. wink.gif

Say the runners decide to create a bit of film footage.  They cast Physical Mask on a PC to make hime look like a troll (or other disreputable, racist being), then cast Mask on the same PC to make them look like the mark.  They cast Invisibilty and Improved Invisibility on the camera men.

They go meet the mark's wife for an amorous afternoon.  It looks to the wife like she is with her husband.  On camera, it looks like the wife is with a troll and depending on editing, like she was aware/unaware of the cameras recording the incident.

That is a veeery nice trick. Getting physical and technical observers to register two different versions of reality? Eee-yep, that one's going in the notebook.
Cain
Yeah this is the main advantage, but again it is not something a PC would get unless they are a healer. No?

It depends. Most SR mages are going to be doing *some* healing, which is why Treat and Heal are such popular choices. Many mages will back that up with a good Biotech/First Aid skill, and might even add a few extras, such as Stabilize or Detox. A support mage would be more inclined towards these spells, as opposed to a front-line combat mage.

Even if your mage isn't a dedicated healer, odds are that your mage will be doing some healing. So, it's not just for dedicated healers. I *will* say that low-utility spells are better candidates to take with the Exclusive and/or Fetish limitation, to reduce the cost-- you get a bit more for your money, that way.

As I mentioned above it is very natural to conclude that some spells are redundant or “useless”. Again I am only talking about spells that share the same function, for example invisibility vs. improved or mask vs., physical mask.

There are other reasons to take the mana version. I'm reminded of something I think was in the CLUE files: a runner team wanted to try and convince a corp suit that he was going insane. So, they cast an illusion of a pink elephant dancing on his desk. The problem was, the mage only had Trid Phantasm; so when the mark panicked, he ran back the security tape and saw the elephant on it. Security immediately figured out that there was a hostile mage nearby, and the team got into a lot of trouble.

Moral of the story: sometimes you *don't* want machines to see the illusions.

For example take a real world example I told a player once. I had a player once ask me “Why would anyone use anything other than a predator? All the other guns do far less damage.”

Now is my player being an evil number cruncher or is he plain stupid? 

He's none of the above, but he's still wrong. Straight-up damage isn't the only element to a gun. If you're not cybered, a Manhunter with an integral laser sight might be a better choice than a useless smartgun link. If you need a hidden piece, a Streetline packing EX-EX can be a nice backup. The Roomsweeper can load the special shotgun ammo, giving you a wider array of options. The Viper Slivergun also packs a lot of nastiness into a small package, particularily if you dikote it and put an oversexed ally spirit into it. wink.gif
So it seems the only reason to take some spells are for character reasons huh?

That's the only reason to take *any* spell. I've had mages without any of the holy trinity of magic: manabolt, stunball, and heal/treat. These three are some of the most commonly used spells in the game, but you can make a very functional character without any of them.

If you merge your "character reasons" with tactical choices, you can come up with some very powerful combinations. The mage beautician I mentioned earlier had a bonus to Manipulation spells, so her Fashion/Makeover trick was super-easy for her. She also got a lot of mileage out of Magic Fingers (who needs Throwing Weapons, when you can gently place grenades under their crotch? biggrin.gif) and Physical Barrier (you won't believe what kind of damage ensues when a team of go-gangers crashes into a set of multi-cast Barriers).
Landicine
My first mage took Improved Reflexes 2 rather than 3 simply because of the drain concerns and the fact that I'd seen mages lose spell after spell walking through wards and astral barriers. For newer players who don't know all the tricks, drain can be problematic.

For spells where the drain difference is less painful like invisibity and improved invisibility, it does seem redundant. However, from the clever uses of these spells demonstrated here, there ways to use the mana versions of these spells.

I think the same goes for a lot of things in Shadowrun. Sure if you get in a firefight you want the biggest baddest gun around, but no one wants to be picked up by Lone Star on the way to that firefight. Concealed weapons generally aren't the biggest weapons.

I also think that the availability can become useful if GMs want to try a lower level game. I reduced the availability of my game to 5. Suddenly some of the most popular cyberware and gear wasn't available, and the players had to figure out creative alternatives, just like random runners living in the Shadowrun local of your choice.
Mr. Unpronounceable
About the stabilize spell:

IIRC, something to keep in mind is that, for another mage, getting a deadly wound + a trauma patch = 2 chances of magic loss, but getting a stabilize spell instead lowers that back to 1 chance.
Psykoguy
For the most part, it may seem that things may be redundant, however, remember that each spell is just a tool. The right tool for the right job. Limitations can actually be used as an asset in some cases, such as the physical mask blackmail trick.
shadowfire
no spell is truely useless, its depends on the player to find a creative way to use it.
Mardegun
For spells where the drain difference is less painful like invisibity and improved invisibility, it does seem redundant. However, from the clever uses of these spells demonstrated here, there ways to use the mana versions of these spells.

This is EXACTLY what I am trying to say.

I don't argue that creative people can make something that seems redundant into something useful … my point is WHY design it that way? Why not make the drain relative to the usefulness of the spell? Is it simply a mistake?

Every time I look at the these kinds of spells it looks wrong. You shouldn't have to be an experienced player to understand things like this.

I guess the best way to describe it is to say that RL isn’t perfect, so why should a game?
Cain
I don't argue that creative people can make something that seems redundant into something useful … my point is WHY design it that way? Why not make the drain relative to the usefulness of the spell? Is it simply a mistake?

Not exactly a mistake. Playtesters cannot cover every possibility that might ever come up in play; so once a game's been released, players are likely to find a bundle of things the playtesters never even thought about. It's also possible that the playtesters found an abusive loophole, and altered the rules to compensate for it. Now, we can't see what originally made the spell so powerful.
The-Mighty-Buddha
Speaking of this i just have to mention the PC ive got who only goes for physical skills when possible or things that deceive technology.

Invis superior, physical mask, a bunch of others.

Im pondering letting him become a physad of the magical way (or whatever its called). Anyone else allowed mages to get physad powers or vice versa if they havent chosen a specific way at char gen?
tisoz
I was just thinking about using Invisibility so the detector will open the door for you. If you used Improved Invisibilty, the door would never notice you. Now just come up with the situation wherethis is beneficial.

OK, still lame...
ShadowDragon8685
Bhudda, the term you are looking for is "Magician's Way Adept" or "Mystic Adept"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012