Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much recording?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shadowbod
As computer memory is no longer an issue, can cyber eyes, ears etc record all-day-every-day to be used in case the runners missed anything important during an encounter?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rotbart van Dainig
As even standard cyberware has a Response of 3 (increasing with grade), yeah, pretty much.
Just make sure they keep in mind that everyone else can, too. wink.gif
mdynna
I would say no, that's getting a little ridiculous. Storage space is not a problem for "most" purposes (can I fit this file on my Commlink?). But that sort of thing, I think, is not in the spirit of the rules.

I would rule that a Commlink can hold 1 day's worth of Audio and Visual recordings. At the end of each day the PC would have to move it another Commlink or some kind of "hard" storage device. The "space doesn't matter" rule was intended to remove the tedious micromanagement of Storage Memory and Active Memory management (I/O speeds as well) that was Decking previously.

Additionally I would also rule that some single files just don't fit on 1 Commlink. The entire Research Archive of Renraku Computer Systems, for example. That sort of thing is "munching" the rules, in my opinion.

(As a side note) Come on people. Here the nice people at WizKids are trying to speed things up for us so that we don't have to manage all this tedious number-crunching and now people are thinking up all these evil ways to exploit this "streamlining". The creeds of SR4 have now become:
1) "Is that reasonable, logically?"
and
2) "GM's discretion"
calypso
I would agree that you would have to routinely dump to a secondary storage. I'd go so far as to say you'd have to do it every 2-3 hours.

Keep in mind, however, that your data can be compromised and hackers can get ahold of video of EVERYTHING you do. That's dangerous.

Calypso
shadowbod
QUOTE (mdynna)
I would rule that a Commlink can hold 1 day's worth of Audio and Visual recordings. At the end of each day the PC would have to move it another Commlink or some kind of "hard" storage device.

So, at the end of the day, when they've moved the data-via the wireless network to another device, what's to stop them accessing all the previous data they've upload before? Which goes back to the situation of being able to access everything they've ever seen or heard (or felt, with a skinlink?, etc) from anywhere with a wireless link!

I really like that there's been an attempt to streamline the rules, but I know that my players are going to want to take advantage of this, and to be fair, why shouldn't they?
calypso
QUOTE (shadowbod)
So, at the end of the day, when they've moved the data-via the wireless network to another device, what's to stop them accessing all the previous data they've upload before?

Nothing.

What's to stop someone else from accessing all the previous data they've uploaded? A flimsy firewall (ie, nothing.)

And honestly, I don't see the huge advantage afforded by doing this. So what if they can go back and analyze that which they've already seen. Sure they might pick up something they missed. And it will probably be too late to do anything about it.

Calypso
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (shadowbod)
I really like that there's been an attempt to streamline the rules, but I know that my players are going to want to take advantage of this, and to be fair, why shouldn't they?

That's the point - offline storage memory is cheap, btw.

It is still about finding what you need.

If you didn't notice it at the time of recording, it still takes Perception Tests - and what exactly the recording covers is up to the GM.
mdynna
I don't have a problem with it if they use another device to store their "archive". Call it splitting hairs, but I think its an important difference. Also, see calypso's comment above. If my players did this, I would have at least one run where some malicious Hacker used this data to their advantage.
GrinderTheTroll
It's not a game breaker recording everything but make it a potential "pain" as in, they have to dump the data somewhere which in the wrong (right?) hands is evidence against the runner(s).

Now fleeing a safehouse on short notice leaving behind all your goods can get you on the 10-most-wanted list.

If its useful to the runners, then I am sure someone else would like it too, especially the Company that gets wind some runner who hit them has it all on file somewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012