Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn to Goo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
In SR4, the spell "Turn to Goo" (props to SR1!) mentions that the target's cyberware remains uneffected by the spell. Does that mean you can sort through the goo (yuck) and "dig out" someone's cyberware? I can see how using this spell to remove gear, foci and other "macro" items plausable, but what about the internal goodness? How hard is it to chop-up or seperate the goo and do all sorts of nasty things with it (to it)?

Not that I plan on or have runners who have suggested this, but it like to see what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

GTT
stevebugge
My take is that all the organic material becomes totally amorphus and indstiguishable, so you get an equivalent mass of homogenous goo, possibly with bits of cyber sticking out. So while this makes it a good spell for Cyber removal it's probably not possible to remove specific body parts by means of this spell. This also brings up the question of what happens if some of the goos is separated or removed? Could a carefully calculated removal of goo mass be the worlds fastest (but probably expensive) weight loss technique?
neko128
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
In SR4, the spell "Turn to Goo" (props to SR1!) mentions that the target's cyberware remains uneffected by the spell. Does that mean you can sort through the goo (yuck) and "dig out" someone's cyberware? I can see how using this spell to remove gear, foci and other "macro" items plausable, but what about the internal goodness? How hard is it to chop-up or seperate the goo and do all sorts of nasty things with it (to it)?

Not that I plan on or have runners who have suggested this, but it like to see what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

GTT

Funny, that's the second thing that came to my mind (using this spell to harvest cyberware). Horrific, horrific idea, but... Well, apparently effective.

I'm looking at this spell, and thinking more and more like it should have a higher drain.
Lagomorph
I had a plan make a used cyber goods doctor who would use the petrify spell to do the same thing, since it turns you into pure calcium carbonate, you can use a simple acid like vinegar or hydrocloric to dissolve the person, and keep all the cyber.

I believe also that the sr3 rules for petrify stated that if you took off a petrified persons leg, that it would be removed when the spell effect ended. So in turn to goo, you would probably remove some goo, and have it take a chunk out of some where.
hyzmarca
The gooified have a hefty barrier rating. It is simplier to use the goo form for transport and drop the spell when you want to remove the cyber.
Dashifen
I wonder if the goo is easily compressed into other shapes. For example, can you pour the good of a character into ... say ... a cooler which is then delivered to the target facility and taken inside similar to the Trojan Horse. Mage drops the spell, goo turns back to character (cooler probably destroyed), and now you've got an inside man. wobble.gif
mdynna
QUOTE (SR4 p. 204)
The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body +
net hits

This is the most important point that everyone seems to be missing about this spell. The "goo" is still "solid". You cannot simply "reach in" and extract the cyberware. I'm reading it that even cyberware on the "surface" (eyes for instance) is still "stuck" to the goo and cannot simply be pulled off (or out). Just like SR3 Petrify, any damage done to the Goo translates into damage done to the person. Thus, to remove that internal headware memory from the Goo you would need to cut into the Goo sufficiently deep enough to get it out, in the process, causing as much damage as if the poor slot was in his metahuman form. It is not an attack and "instant death" spell. Otherwise it would probably be in the Combat Spells section.

The real use of the spell, as I see it, is transportation, as Dashifen mentions. Have to do an extraction? Goo-ify your target then stuff him in a cooler or backpack or something and walk out with him. Or, Goo-ify your team's PhysAd then "flush" him into the target facility and then release the spell when he's on the other side.

I never saw you being able to simply rip someone apart with this spell.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Dashifen)
I wonder if the goo is easily compressed into other shapes. For example, can you pour the good of a character into ... say ... a cooler which is then delivered to the target facility and taken inside similar to the Trojan Horse. Mage drops the spell, goo turns back to character (cooler probably destroyed), and now you've got an inside man. wobble.gif

That'd be fun. Stuck inside a 55-galon drum while the truck passes through a ward...ewwww.
neko128
QUOTE (mdynna)
This is the most important point that everyone seems to be missing about this spell. The "goo" is still "solid". You cannot simply "reach in" and extract the cyberware.

I'm not missing the point. However, okay, Body + net hits for an average person is 4 - the barrier armor rating of a tree, or normal furniture. While that's certainly going to be difficult to pull apart by hand for another average person, a random troll or someone with a monosword should have little to no trouble.

Even your average street sam wouldn't be that much of an issue. Body 4-5 plus 1-2 net hits? Armor 6 is hardwood or a standard chain link. Again, people have been doing carpentry for years, and bolt-cutters are a nuyen a dozen...
Brahm
QUOTE (neko128 @ Mar 13 2006, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (mdynna @ Mar 13 2006, 05:17 PM)
This is the most important point that everyone seems to be missing about this spell.  The "goo" is still "solid".  You cannot simply "reach in" and extract the cyberware.

I'm not missing the point. However, okay, Body + net hits for an average person is 4 - the barrier armor rating of a tree, or normal furniture. While that's certainly going to be difficult to pull apart by hand for another average person, a random troll or someone with a monosword should have little to no trouble.

Roughly the same trouble as dismembering a regular corpse. If the mage can safely sustain till they get the victim to a chopshop why bother risk damaging the equipment? If not kill him and cut off the interesting bits as per normal. Turn To Goo doesn't really change that, and is more risky than Stun Bolt because not only do you have to sustain it but you also have to correctly guess the Body of the victim before you cast.
neko128
QUOTE (Brahm)
This is the most important point that everyone seems to be missing about this spell.  The "goo" is still "solid".  You cannot simply "reach in" and extract the cyberware.

Roughly the same trouble as dismembering a regular corpse. If the mage can safely sustain till they get the victim to a chopshop why bother risk damaging the equipment? If not kill him and cut off the interesting bits as per normal. Turn To Goo doesn't really change that, and is more risky than Stun Bolt because not only do you have to sustain it but you also have to correctly guess the Body of the victim before you cast.

Or Assense. smile.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 13 2006, 07:44 PM)

This is actually an old topic. Whip up an applicable spirit and use a Search service.

Note that the barrier rating of the goo is equivalent to the barrier rating created by Turn to Stone for sake of comparison. That is to say, it's just as hard to chip it out of rock as it would be to pull it out of supersticky gunk.

Brahm is wise here; TtG doesn't make your victim into pliable Jell-O with cyberware floating around in it to be plucked out as easily as decorative fruit. Just save yourself the drain and use the Impromptu Troll Uninstallation method if you really want that guy's cyberarm.
GrinderTheTroll
Brahm is wise here; TtG doesn't make your victim into pliable Jell-O with cyberware floating around in it to be plucked out as easily as decorative fruit.  Just save yourself the drain and use the Impromptu Troll Uninstallation method if you really want that guy's cyberarm.

ROFLLMAO rotfl.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (neko128 @ Mar 13 2006, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 13 2006, 06:44 PM)

Or Assense. smile.gif

Determining Body or other Physical Attributes isn't on the Assensing table, but slotting it at Theshold 4 to know the exact number, and Threshold 3 to know roughly isn't that bad an idea I suppose. You might also let they try a Medicine Test, but few runners are going to have that.
neko128
QUOTE (Brahm)
Determining Body or other Physical Attributes isn't on the Assensing table, but slotting it at Theshold 4 to know the exact number, and Threshold 3 to know roughly isn't that bad an idea I suppose. You might also let they try a Medicine Test, but few runners are going to have that.

Huh. I admit I didn't look it up, but I said that because I thought I specifically remembered 3 or 4 successes having "exact physical attributes" mentioned.
Brahm
QUOTE (neko128 @ Mar 14 2006, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Mar 14 2006, 04:28 AM)
Determining Body or other Physical Attributes isn't on the Assensing table, but slotting it at Theshold 4 to know the exact number, and Threshold 3 to know roughly isn't that bad an idea I suppose.  You might also let they try a Medicine Test, but few runners are going to have that.

Huh. I admit I didn't look it up, but I said that because I thought I specifically remembered 3 or 4 successes having "exact physical attributes" mentioned.

What it does have for Threshold 4 is Th e exact Essence, Magic and Force of the subject. Threshold 3 gives you a higher/lower indication of the same. For spirits you can work out the Physical Attributes from that, but leaves you in the dark on everyone else and I don't expect Turn to Goo to work that well on a spirit. Though I guess I never really considered it before.
Azralon
QUOTE (Brahm)
I don't expect Turn to Goo to work that well on a spirit. Though I guess I never really considered it before.

I'd be okay with it.
Moon-Hawk
So couldn't it just unmanifest? I guess goo isn't conscious, so wouldn't unconsciousness disrupt or unmanifest it? Or would it be turned into goo on the astral plane. WTF is astral goo?
Azralon
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 14 2006, 12:54 PM)
So couldn't it just unmanifest?  I guess goo isn't conscious, so wouldn't unconsciousness disrupt or unmanifest it?  Or would it be turned into goo on the astral plane.  WTF is astral goo?

I don't believe that unconsciousness disrupts a spirit; it actually needs to be "killed" to be disrupted. At least, that's why my mage prefers to KO patrol spirits since it nullifies them without alerting their summoners.

It couldn't be turned to goo on the astral plane, as TtG is a Physical spell so wouldn't work on purely astral targets.
mdynna
QUOTE (Azralon)
I don't believe that unconsciousness disrupts a spirit; it actually needs to be "killed" to be disrupted. At least, that's why my mage prefers to KO patrol spirits since it nullifies them without alerting their summoners.

How do you KO a spirit? Does it have to be Manifested so you can do Stun damage?

Oh wait, I think I remember reading that in Astral Combat a Magician can choose to do Stun damage, so I suppose that could be done. Very interesting.
Azralon
For the record:

QUOTE (SR4 p177)
If all of the boxes on a spirit’s Condition Monitor Track are filled in, that spirit is disrupted and forced back to its home metaplane.

The wording unfortunately suggests that there's just one Condition Monitor Track. This is not the case (unless spirits don't have separate CMTs, but I haven't seen anything to that effect), so some assumptions have to be made.

We assumed that the wording meant to say "a spirit's Physical Condition Monitor Track." That would mean you could KO a spirit by filling up its Stun Track. The spirit won't actually go away until it's "killed." This is how we've been playing.

It could be just as likely that the wording meant to say "either of a spirit's Condition Monitor Tracks" or "on one of a spirit's Condition Monitor Tracks" or even "a spirit’s Physical or Stun Condition Monitor Track." Those would be bigger alterations to the printed text, so we assumed they weren't the case. It could be, mind you, but we're assuming not.

Personally I'd be happier if all spirits had just one generic damage track (equal to 8+half Force), as it would make the damn things more vulnerable. I'd also be conceptually okay with the idea that spirits don't differientiate between Stun and Physical damage and both go into the same track.

But anyway, that's where I'm at.
Brahm
QUOTE (Azralon)
Personally I'd be happier if all spirits had just one generic damage track (equal to 8+half Force), as it would make the damn things more vulnerable. I'd also be conceptually okay with the idea that spirits don't differientiate between Stun and Physical damage and both go into the same track.

Just use the NPC Grunt rule on them to give them a single track. Unconcious or disrupted they are bye-bye for that combat. To make it easier just use 8+Force/2 to determine the size of the track since their Body is only there sometimes.

As for Turn To Goo disrupting, the spell doesn't really say it fills up the condition track. Even if the track changes length, which can happen via a buff/debuff spell, the spirit can't pop back up so it isn't really doing boxes of damage.
Azralon
QUOTE (Brahm)
Just use the NPC Grunt rule on them to give them a single track. Unconcious or disrupted they are bye-bye for that combat.

Right, and that'd be an elegant solution in most cases. However, if you're trying to bypass a spirit without its summoner knowing about it, there'd still need to be a distinction between "unconscious" and "disrupted." If spirits aren't supposed to make that distinction then there's no problem.

I do like treating them as grunts, though. I wish we could extend that paradigm and deny them their own bucket of Edge.

QUOTE (Brahm)
As for Turn To Goo disrupting, the spell doesn't really say it fills up the condition track.

Aye, it says the subject is unconscious. Which brings us back to "can spirits go unconscious" and "if spirits go unconscious, are they disrupted?"

It gets further complicated because the text says spirits are disrupted when a/the condition monitor fills up. As you pointed out, Turn to Goo doesn't touch the damage track, so that suggests the spirit wouldn't disrupt.

~~~~~

I feel like a rules lawyer even talking about this, but it's not so much that I'm looking for a loophole as desperately seeking the absence of one. nyahnyah.gif
brennanhawkwood
What I've been wondering regarding the Turn to Goo spell is this...

Given that it is a Physical spell and appears to basically be a 'specialized' variant of the Shapechange spell.

Given that it appears to be commonly held that spending essense on something makes it a part of you as far as magic is concerned (for example, the idea that cyberware stays with you when shapechanged (regardless of whether it can be used) because you've paid essense for it)

Why does cyberware, that you have paid essense for, not gooify along with the rest of you when affected by this spell? It seems an odd and un-needed variant from an otherwise reasonable rule of thumb.
Moon-Hawk
I agree. It seems inconsistent with the rest of SRs magic system.
mfb
hm. good point. if you can't specifically target cyberware with spells, why should be be able to specifically not target them?
SL James
Agreed. I like the rule in SR3 which said that because you paid essence for it, cyberware transforms wih the target when using the Transform or Shapechange spells. Why that isn't the case in SR4 makes no sense.
Moon-Hawk
Turn to Goo is establishing a dangerous precident. I very much hope it gets errata'd back into sanity.
Azralon
Maybe the spell (re)designer didn't want people to temporarily nullify cortex bombs with Petrify/TtG. Maybe they wanted to be able to hack someone's cybercomm after rendering the owner inert. Maybe they didn't want someone with bodyware to be able to get flushed.

In any case, I too dislike the spells excluding cyber from transformation.
Moon-Hawk
Well, if that's the case then I guess I just disagree with the (re)designers. I agree with you, but with one tiny nitpick.
Unless this has changed in SR4, cortex bombs aren't paid for with essence.
Brahm
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 16 2006, 10:36 AM)
Well, if that's the case then I guess I just disagree with the (re)designers.  I agree with you, but with one tiny nitpick.

I thought they were, it was just that they paid zero essense because it was a Plot Device. silly.gif
GrinderTheTroll
Based on how hard it's going to be to "chop-up" the goo, I don't forsee subjecting some goo'd goon to a giant sieve in hopes of filtering-out all the cyberware.

Despite treating the cyber differently than it has been historically, I don't see this upsetting or unbalancing anything. I'm hoping when custom spells rules surface, the act of similar transformation will give them similar armor ratings making more of a non-issue IMO.

- GTT
Azralon
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 16 2006, 11:36 AM)

Right, because if a cortex bomb cost Essence then it'd be more noticeable. Players of mages would get all upset because they're down a Magic point, and players of vatjobs would get all upset because they have less room to cram in the chrome.

However, we can't say that cortex bombs would transform into goo/stone just because they don't cost Essence (and therefore aren't considered a metaphysical part of the implantee). The spell specifically says that cyber doesn't transform, and c-bombs are indeed cyber.
Mistwalker
Hmm, anyone know what color the goo is, or if it is transparent?
I always thought of it as vile green semi-transparent jello like sustance

The reason I am asking, if to know if it can be used to find out if someone has a cortex bomb or Security RFID or.....

I think that I am leaning towards making it jello like for transparency. This will allow runners to know about cortex bombs, RFIDs, etc.... but force them to deal with them using other methods.
laughingowl
QUOTE (brennanhawkwood)
What I've been wondering regarding the Turn to Goo spell is this...

Given that it is a Physical spell and appears to basically be a 'specialized' variant of the Shapechange spell.

Given that it appears to be commonly held that spending essense on something makes it a part of you as far as magic is concerned (for example, the idea that cyberware stays with you when shapechanged (regardless of whether it can be used) because you've paid essense for it)

Why does cyberware, that you have paid essense for, not gooify along with the rest of you when affected by this spell? It seems an odd and un-needed variant from an otherwise reasonable rule of thumb.

Cyberware is 'affected' by the spell. Sine it is your aura that is affected.

however, the effect as you have mentioned is a specialized form of shapechange to change your 'organic matter' to goo.

Much like you could (atleast in my games) 'shapechange' to a meta-human that appears exactly like you but with bright blue hair..

Turn to goo shape-changes you into something that looks like you with all of your 'organic' parts turned to go.

The cyberware is still intransicately a part of you as before... instead of being surronded by flesh, blood, bone, tissue, etc it is now surronded by 'goo'.
Jaid
i personally assume that the goo is green. just because no self respecting goo is any other color =P or at least, i always assumed it was opaque... i mean, being transparent would seem to be a rather odd change to me...

on another note.... AAAAGHHH!!!! ZOMBIE THREAD! *runs away*
eidolon
A flesh-colored translucent blob with dark splotches where cyber is close to the surface would look cool.
The Jopp
Don't forget that it is "Sticky and Gluelike" so you could just cram in the Gooified subject in any cramped space and he'll stick there.
Thanee
The spell surely does not extract cyberware from a living being... just because that would be completely ridiculous. eek.gif

Anything beyond this, how it works specifically, is up to you, as long as this basic requirement is fulfilled. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Shrike30
I always imagined the goo to be pretty much like lime pudding (pale green and sticky), and incredibly stretchy without actually being easy to break.

Digging cyber out of goo in any sort of resellable condition is nearly impossible. Goo is TOUGH.
eidolon
I think it's really funny that so many people make/have made the "goo is green" assumption. biggrin.gif

(Not poking fun or anything, I can see it. It's just amusing. Sorry for the lame disclaimer, but I don't feel like having to come back and calm people down for thinking I'm making fun of them when I'm not.)
Casper
I know its a nod to the previous editions but why for the love of god would they bring this spell back I just don't know.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (eidolon)
I think it's really funny that so many people make/have made the "goo is green" assumption. biggrin.gif

(Not poking fun or anything, I can see it. It's just amusing. Sorry for the lame disclaimer, but I don't feel like having to come back and calm people down for thinking I'm making fun of them when I'm not.)

I think it's AD&D "Green Slime" conditioning or maybe for the younger set too much "Double Dare". wink.gif
Lagomorph
I had always imagined it being like clear gelatin, kind of a translucent off skin tone color.

man, this is some serious threadomancy grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012