Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the Run and Missions compatibility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bercilak
I just downloaded On the Run, but haven't had much chance to read it other than to notice that it's set in Seattle. And the Missions are based in Denver. Anybody have any initial thoughts on how to connect the two. I know that the Missions adventures seem pretty closely tied to their setting. Is On the Run that closely tied to Seattle, or could it be plunked into Denver with only some cosmetic changes? I'm new to Shadowrun (having not read the rules since 2nd ed) and I like the way On the Run seems to support new GMs and players, but ultimately, I'd like to use the Missions as my mainstay. (And I like the setting for Denver a bit more than Seattle.) Any thoughts or help?
Brahm
A simple solution is to have your runners take the bus to Seattle to visit their Cousin Vinnie. Have some of their Denver contacts know people in Seattle to set up some basic contact introductions so they aren't left high and dry that way. I haven't looked at On The Run yet, but at 56 pages it likely has a good number of sessions worth in there. The downside is the border checkpoints they'll cross might pose an issue for some of their implants, and they'll have to leave their BFG-2000 at home and pick up a rental in Seattle if they want one. But challenges are good, right? wink.gif
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Bercilak)
I just downloaded On the Run, but haven't had much chance to read it other than to notice that it's set in Seattle. And the Missions are based in Denver. Anybody have any initial thoughts on how to connect the two. I know that the Missions adventures seem pretty closely tied to their setting. Is On the Run that closely tied to Seattle, or could it be plunked into Denver with only some cosmetic changes? I'm new to Shadowrun (having not read the rules since 2nd ed) and I like the way On the Run seems to support new GMs and players, but ultimately, I'd like to use the Missions as my mainstay. (And I like the setting for Denver a bit more than Seattle.) Any thoughts or help?

On the Run is not tied to Seattle--in fact, there's even a note in there that says if you want to run somewhere else, feel free to change the location. There are a couple of things about the adventure where you'd have to do a bit of creative handwaving to make them fit (like, for example, explaining the rationale for the location of something in the final encounter), but even that isn't by any means a showstopper.

I wrote it to make use of Seattle as one of the Runner Havens locations, but there's no requirement that it be run there.
the_dunner
It's worth noting that Missions is a separate campaign. If you're just using them for home play, it's really not a problem at all. However, if you're playing them as part of the worldwide campaign, a character that plays (and earns Karma, Nuyen, and all that other good stuff) in a non-Missions event, will no longer be portable for convention and game day use.
Dashifen
On the Run is definately move-able. I moved everything to Atlanta while I was supposed to be working this morning smile.gif
MaxHunter
But... How do you like the adventure?
I haven't seen it yet and I am craving for some intel... smile.gif

Cheers,

Max
Dashifen
I quite like it. The one thing I do find interesting is much of the information and acting relies primarily on the curiosity of the players wanting to find out more. I don't want to give too much away, but the run is to retrieve stolen property for Mr. Johnson's employer. As the run progresses, it becomes clear that the item in question was not stolen from the Johnson's employer nor was it probably ever his/her property to begin with. However, if your players are focused on professionalism and impressing the Johnson, you might only end up running two or three of the scenes in the adventure.

One thing I quite like about the adventure is how it's presented to the GM as a series of scenes (about five or six) in the order by which it makes the most sense to present it to the players. But, the time line is a little fuzzy, allowing the GM to work this plot around within the time line that makes the most sense for the game. The scenes include all the standard SR information including a paragraph to (optionally) read to the players to set the mood, the GM's information, NPCs, maps (whoo!) and for the major NPCs, even artwork.

The story is excellent and provides a few opportunities for the players to make new contacts in areas from the music industry and popular culture to organized crime. Of course, the flip side is that there's an equal, if not greater, number of opportunities to make enemies of those people as well. The run itself, if the players get curious, ends up something of a catch-22 where the players will end up making someone mad at them, either the Johnson or a third-party that is also interested in the target item.

There's a lot of room to allow everyone to shine in the group. There's a lot of opportunity to hack and the opposition forces are often equipped with awakened/spirit support so your mages shouldn't be bored either. Honestly, the only two things I was disappointed with was the popular culture contacts that the beginning of the run assumes and that the karma seemed a little light at the end to me ... or maybe I just give out way to much of it under other circumstances.

All in all, a wonderful first adventure and one that I intend on running once my groups finished with their current run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012