Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's on an onboard computer?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stevebugge
So the issue of car theft by hacking has spawned a couple of semi related questions, but snce they don't directly apply to the act of stealing a car I'm starting a new thread.

I think it has been fairly well established that the car's pilot can physically control the vehicle but does it also store some useful data?

For example does it act like a black box recording vehicle performance indicators, repair logs, crashes, and warranty information?

Does it log vehicle movement for a short period?

Can you program and store favorite locations?

Are vehicle Sensor logs stored for a short period?

Are there other built in for your convenience features that could provide paydata to a car hacker?

Keep in mind some of this could go for other devices too, you could get a sense of a marks daily routine by hacking his appliances (his coffemaker auto starts at 5:30am mon-fri for example, giving you an idea when he wakes up)

Thoughts?
neko128
I would say that ALL of those are possible, and - more to the point - that all of those except sensor logs are default behavior.

Examples of paydata I'd say are stored on a vehicle includes building passcodes (to get through locked gates and into parking garages), account numbers (for toll booths and similar pay-road type situations), GridGuide login info, user information (for identifying the owner and recovery when stolen), a number of "contacts" and locations (home, office, favorite restaurants), usage statistics and previous route information...

All SORTS of good stuff!
stevebugge
Kind of makes you want to invest in a firewall upgrade for your ride doesn't it
kigmatzomat
My brother has a Prius, one of the hybrids with an integrated computer system that has a wireless key as well as voice control over the GPS navigation system, stereo, and interfaces with his phone to be the "hands free" kit so I've got some empirical knowledge of what current consumer grade automotive tech is moving towards. Once you add On-Star, FastPass, an autopilot, and HUD you have something like the 2070s car.

The car will have all your presets (radio, temperature, seat, mirrors, steering column, pedals, etc) and recognize you based on your comm so when you and the wife swap seats you don't need to make any adjustments. All your common routes will be preprogrammed and it will communicate with GridLink to get traffic data to optimize drive time. Any tolls are paid automatically. If there is an accident it registers it with GridLink and contacts LoneStar. Telephone calls are routed to the interior speakers/mic or to other wireless devices. The Vehicle's sensor data is projected on the HUD or via AR (low light, thermo, ultrasound, MAD, etc) so that you are never driving blind.

There will be various configurations regarding the storage of sensor data but 99.9% of vehicles will be in factory default, which is probably set to ~10 minutes of storage excluding any accidents. If the sensors record an accident it will probably store the 10 minutes before and the 10 minutes after the accident by default.

Why will people leave those default setting? Insurance. As in "their car insurance policy will require it." Only people who can afford to buy a strange policy or who are illegal will do anything that could invalidate their policy.
stevebugge
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
My brother has a Prius, one of the hybrids with an integrated computer system that has a wireless key as well as voice control over the GPS navigation system, stereo, and interfaces with his phone to be the "hands free" kit so I've got some empirical knowledge of what current consumer grade automotive tech is moving towards. Once you add On-Star, FastPass, an autopilot, and HUD you have something like the 2070s car.

The car will have all your presets (radio, temperature, seat, mirrors, steering column, pedals, etc) and recognize you based on your comm so when you and the wife swap seats you don't need to make any adjustments. All your common routes will be preprogrammed and it will communicate with GridLink to get traffic data to optimize drive time. Any tolls are paid automatically. If there is an accident it registers it with GridLink and contacts LoneStar. Telephone calls are routed to the interior speakers/mic or to other wireless devices. The Vehicle's sensor data is projected on the HUD or via AR (low light, thermo, ultrasound, MAD, etc) so that you are never driving blind.

There will be various configurations regarding the storage of sensor data but 99.9% of vehicles will be in factory default, which is probably set to ~10 minutes of storage excluding any accidents. If the sensors record an accident it will probably store the 10 minutes before and the 10 minutes after the accident by default.

Why will people leave those default setting? Insurance. As in "their car insurance policy will require it." Only people who can afford to buy a strange policy or who are illegal will do anything that could invalidate their policy.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Cars would be a real treasure trove of information on their owners or primary drivers. If you can find and hack say an ectraction target's car you can get a lot of useful information that may make your operation a lot easier (maybe your mark hits a dive bar 2-3 times a week that has much less security than his office or home). I'm guessing from some of the descriptions in the "Wireless World" chapter that lots of everyday devices (autocooks, cars, entertainment centers, coffee machines, closet organizers, etc) are smart and wireless enabled and may containe information that runners could find useful. Granted lots of them probably have very little actual processing power and little or no memory, but some middle and higher order devices may have useful tidbits (the autocook may have favorite recipies stored for example or the closet organizer may be able to tell you what a target is wearing that day or what laundry service he uses). How long information is stored is probably a settings issue now, because the new rules basically say storage memory size isn't an issue any more.

So from what Kingmatzomat has stated is on his brother's Prius you could deduce the rough Height and Weight of it's owner, his homw and work addresses and the addresses of some of his favorite destinations, the security code at his parking garage(s), his preferred routes, his favorite bands and radio stations, possibly his bank routing number, how many people of driving age are in his family, and his comm number.

While that isn't everything you may want to know as a runner, it's a pretty good start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012