Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is my rifle and this is my gun.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hyzmarca
When Gunnery Sergeant Matthew Allen Johnson steped on a land mine on some god forsaken island during the height of the war in the Pacific he knew that he was going to die. Unable to move and unable to feel anything - not even the blood spurting stump that was once his leg - his last hope of ever seeing his pregnant wife again slowedly faded away. But there was someone with him who would not let him give up. In the short moment before blood loss claimed his consciousness Sergeant Johnson saw an angel standinging over him. She whipsered gentle words of reassurance, telling him that he would live to see his family. And she gave him instructions.

Sergeant Johnson awoke to find that he was still alive and that his bloody stump was a leg once again. It was a mangled leg that would never be fully right again but it was functional enough to carry him to safety. He silently thanked God for this miracle and removed the bayonet from his rifle as he remembered what the angel had told him.

Confused, but grateful, Matthew brought the tip of the bayonet to the stock of his rifle and began to carve runes that he did not understand.

---

The Horn of Gabriel
Force:9 Homunculus

M1 Garand
Rifle
Conceal 3 (2 with bayonet)
Mode: Semi Automatic
Ammo:8[Infinite](m)
Damage 9S (10S)

As Club
Reach 1
STR M Stun

With Bayonet
Reach 2
(STR+2)M

Note - The Horn of Gabriel always has a fully magazine and cannot be reloaded. For this reason it cannot accept any ammunition except for its own unique cartridges. These bullets contain True Fire and can be used as alchemical radicals if retrieved. They add +1 to power and count as elemental (fire) weapons against creatures who are vulnerable to them.

-
The Horn of Gabriel is a vintage M1 Garand from WWII. At first glance it appears unremarkable except for countless scraches and gouges in the wood and the metal of the weapon. Closer inspection will reveal that the marks are some sort of writing but only those fluent in the language of Throal will be able to understand it.

The weapon was originally issued to a United States Marine named Matthew Johnson. When on the verge of death Johnson Awakened and had a vision of a Free Spirit on the astral plane. Following this spirit's instructions Sergeant Johnson enchanted the weapon as a homunculus that the astral bound spirit could use to interact with the material world.

As he hid from Japanese soldiers and tried to make his way back to his camp Sergeant Johnson found that he was protected by a higher power. Enemies who should have been him passed him by for no good reason. A falling tree crushed a sniper that had spoted him. When he did get into a firefight his weapon never ran out ammo and a bright glow seemed to deflect bullets away from him. Most spectaculary, destructive balls of fire and deadly bolts of lightening leap from his weapon on occasion.

When he finally reached safety he could not bear to give up the weapon and took great pains to missapropriate it when the Marine Corps discharged him due to his debilitating. Over the decades the weapon has been passed down within his family.

---

Suu
Free Lightning Elemental
Anima
Force 7
Spirit Energy 4

STR 6 (14)
BOD 8 (16)
QUI 9 (0)
WIL 8
INT 7
CHA 9
Essence 7

Powers: Materialization*, Inhabiting, Metahuman Form*, Immunity to Normal Weapons*, Concealment, Accident, Guard, Sorcery, Dispelling, Aura Masking, Wealth, Psychokenesis, Flame Aura, Influence, Astral Armor**.

Spells: Stun Touch*** 8, Stunbolt 6, Stunball 6, Lightening Bolt 7, Lightening Ball 7, Laser 6, Nova 6, Fireball 6, Spiritblast 6, Powerball 6, Manaball 6, Heal 5, Stabillize 5, Detect Enemies 4, Resist Pain 4, Increase Reflexes+3 4, Oxygenate 3, Enhance Aim 6, Nutrition 3, Deflect 6, Armor 6, Analyze Truth 6, Mindlink 3.

* Suu cannot use these powers/skills at the current mana level.
** Suu cannot use this power so long as she is bound to a homunculus.

***Stun Touch
Mana
Target: Willpower
Range: Touch
Drain: -1 (Damage Level -1)

Active Skills: Sorcery 7, Unarmed Combat 6*, Edged Weapons 6*, Edged Weapons B/R 4*, Etiquette 6/Dwarven Court 8, Negotiation 7, Leadership 5, Intimidation 5, Small Unit Tactics 7

Knowledge Skills: Fourth World History 4, Fourth World Politics 3, Swordsmithing 4, Fourth World Dragons 3, Fourth World Heros 2, Sixth World Politics 4, Sixth World Dragons 4, Spirit Politics 5, Magical Theory 4, Gunsmithing 3, Exotic Dance 8.

-
The Free Spirit currently known as Suu once had an epic love affair with a Dwarven nobelman during the Age of Legend. Their relationship produced several children and Suu worked behind the scenes to ensure that her decendants retained high standing within the court of Throal. Over time, the waning mana level forced her to retreat to the metaplanes. The the waning of magic the Age as Legend slipped from human memory and the ancient kingdoms were reduced to whispered myth.

As the mana level rose during the period leading up to the Awakening Suu ventured out into the world hoping to find that her decendants still prospered. When she tracked down her last blood realitive she found him dying on a South Pacific island and was powerless to help him because she could not materialize. Due to fortutious karma and the small temperory mana spike caused by the lightening elemental's presence the dying soldier awakened and percieved the Astral plane in the seconds before his death, giving Suu the opertunity she needed to stabillize him and treat his wounds. During his brief experience of Astral Perception Suu taught him how to enchant a homunculus for her to reside in untill the world's mana reached a point that coild sustain her matrial form. The soldier enchanted his rifle and Suu entered it, using her magic to protect her decendant and to ensure that the rifle would always be passed on to someone of her blood.

Suu's Wealth power ensures that her rifle will always be fully loaded but she detemines when it can fire. She will rarely allow anyone not of her blood to fire it and she will never allow it to harm her kin.
ChuckRozool
das pretty coo
Paul
I think people should be tasered for stuff like this. Movies, anime and comic books-I love them too, just not in my game.
hyzmarca
Anime? Movie? Comic books? I see none of that here. My intent was not to simulate any of these. My intent was to provide a unique artifact and a unique foil for a group of PCs.

All of it fits in with canon, including wealth power bullets and lightening elementals. Some of it stretches. Lightening elementals are never specificly mentioned but nonstandard elementals are canon. Lucifer from the Lucifer Deck and Artificer come to mind. It is possible that having the bullets defeat ItNW outright was a mistake and instead having them act as elemental weapons against it would have been better and I'll probably change that. But I don't see how this is animeish or comic bookish at all. At least no more so than any other thing in Shadowrun.
Paul
Sorry man, it's nothing personal. Now where'd I put my taser?

Seriously, for what its worth my opinion isn't the end all end all of opinions, it's just that: my opinion.
mfb
your opinion is stupid !!p

this gun is horrifyingly powerful. a team that goes up against this guy is going to have a hell of a fight on their hands.
Wounded Ronin
This is exactly the kind of thing which makes a Shadowrun campaign memorable and interesting. Vintage guns and excess. Hyzmarca is the ultimate master of Shadowrun!
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 16 2006, 07:00 AM)
your opinion is stupid !!p

this gun is horrifyingly powerful. a team that goes up against this guy is going to have a hell of a fight on their hands.

Or maybe he'll have a hell of a fight on his hands.

What if they are using teamwork!?!?

and *gasp* tactics!?!???

grinbig.gif

edit: wait, I went back and reread that. Okay, even the most hardcore application of teamwork is gonna have trouble with that.
ShadowDragon8685
I say this wins simply because he chose the best rifle ever designed for the base. smile.gif

Of course, since the ammo is infinate, you lose out on the "Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung-ka-CHING!" sound. smile.gif
Platinum
Although it does seem a little high powered you are right that it would make a good artifact for an enemy. I see two problems, 1 the true fire bullets seem over the top, and 2 after the physad drives his weapon focus through the guy's gut, now the characters have access to such a weapon. (maybe someone can contract them to retrieve it for them.)
Moon-Hawk
Ah, but it has a built-in mechanic for refusing to function for anyone the GM doesn't want it too.
Which will make the players feel very, VERY cheated.
hyzmarca
1) I originally thought of making the weapon a vampire hunting gun that could fire wood, silver, or iron bullets but I thought that was just too cliche. The True Fire bullets provide a good reason for the runners to go after the weapon, either on their own or at the behest of a Johnson and give the weapon some benefits to offset the fact that it can't accept other ammo types. Infinite bullets sounds nice but not at the expense of APDS and EX-EX.

2)The a PC drives a sword into this guy's gut they'd never have access to the weapon. Why? Because Free Spirits don't take drain. So soon as she gets LOS to or physical contact with any of the SOBs who killed her great-to-the-nth-power grandkid she will be throwing out deadly combat spells like pez.

The best they ccould hope to do is destroy the homunculus which should be easy with a sniper rifle (APDS ammo would be needed if she had an armor spell on her) or better. Of course, that would let her come back in a month without the ability to materialize but with 7 points of Astral Armor. In this event careless mages will die.

Incidently, a Garand's en-bloc clip can be ejected manually so you can have the sound even with infinite ammo. You just won't have the M1 thumb.
Backgammon
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
I say this wins simply because he chose the best rifle ever designed for the base. smile.gif

Of course, since the ammo is infinate, you lose out on the "Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung!-Chung-ka-CHING!" sound. smile.gif

I love the CHING sound. I used to play BF1942 and would empty my rifle just to hear that noise!
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 16 2006, 05:41 AM)

I love the CHING sound. I used to play BF1942 and would empty my rifle just to hear that noise!

You poor deprived soul...

I actually have an uncle who owns one. smile.gif

It makes just a very tiny kick when it tosses the en-bloc. Nothing like actual recoil, just a tiny vibration.

Also, it throws it in a very predictable path. If you're firing from the bench and not the right end of the bench, and firing right-handed, you're likely to get a lapful of en-bloc, at least before it falls onto the ground. (This happened to me and both of my uncles, and we're all of fairly different statures, with every-time regularity.)
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 16 2006, 05:41 AM)

slightly off topic but hehe, yeah, BF1942 was an awesome game. Too bad the standard game itself really didn't have garand as the main weapon of choice for the troops for most of the troops.

ok, back to topic, I like this weapon as a foil to runners. Just the look on their face that they're facing a guy with a vintage ww2 rifle alone will be priceless. Hmmm... I hope my player doesn't read this post, you know who you are! nyahnyah.gif
Lindt
If you where to cut the power level down by 1/3 or so, it would still be a pretty badass rifle to have in a game.

Not something id ever want my PCs to get their hands on though.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)

ok, back to topic, I like this weapon as a foil to runners. Just the look on their face that they're facing a guy with a vintage ww2 rifle alone will be priceless. Hmmm... I hope my player doesn't read this post, you know who you are! nyahnyah.gif

Vintage weapons always make an ordinary campaign absolutely badass. I try to sprinkle a few in myself whenever I can. It can be something as simple as a 1911; 9M with a 7 round magazine.
hyzmarca
It would be fairly simple to drop the spirit angle and use M1s as regular weapons. Make it a simple action and a quickness (5) test to reload. Failure represents not moving your hand out of the way fast enough and forces you to resist 2L damage with only body due to the dreaded M1 thumb.
Wounded Ronin
That's a really good way to implement M1 thumb. It's these little specific details that I wish could be more frequently implemented by Shadowrun just because vintage guns are so much fun. I'd rather have a Walther P38 with all its specific historical characteristics than an imaginary light pistol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012