Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you play a rigger from south east Asia running
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
Can you play a rigger from south east Asia running in Seattle.

What I am seeing is a rigger/hacker that subscribes to the theory “never shit in your own back yard” connect to the matrix with a dedicated sat link and the closest any trace program should be able to get to you is some wear in south east Asia, Indonesia or Australia, you have a mechanic contact in Seattle (or wherever the campaign is set) that looks after your drones for you, attend all meats virtually and never tell anybody where you live and you can use VR to go on the run “in spirit”.

Is there anything stopping this concept or making it unduly a bad idea.

Edward
Geekkake
Not only is this completely doable, I've played such a character to great effect.

The primary issue, the way I see it, is payment. Consider: Most Johnsons, at least in my games, could give a shit how a motley band of runners divide up their payment. They just drop a big lump of cred all at once on them. It wouldn't be difficult for the runners to keep your share of a particularly lucrative score.

Sure, you could get your revenge. I'm just saying. There's something about having a physical presence that makes things smoother in your group. You're less a dial-a-decker and more a member of the team.
Edward
True they could rip me off, but they could do that if I was a non combat hacker anyway, what am I going to do in my meat against a Sammy and a mage.

As to being part of the team, threw AR and VR I can be walking along beside them, provided they have visual senses to pick up AR objects, and as a rigger I do contribute to combat. So I’m not worried about that aspect.

Edward
Brahm
Because SR continues mostly to ignore the potential for lag time this is a potential PC. There are static and dead zones to deal with that a physically present hacker can deal with better using a high Signal commlink. To fill that gap in the remote hacker would need a satelite uplink rigged up to a repeater commlink. It is kind of up to the GM how much mobility the satelite uplink would have while operating.

EDIT The hacker would also have difficulties getting access to systems set up inside wireless blocking walls. The team would have to run an optical line outside to a repeater or satelite uplink.
Kremlin KOA
nah just a drone with a high signal repeater commlink, sattelite optional
Geekkake
QUOTE (Edward)
True they could rip me off, but they could do that if I was a non combat hacker anyway, what am I going to do in my meat against a Sammy and a mage.

As to being part of the team, threw AR and VR I can be walking along beside them, provided they have visual senses to pick up AR objects, and as a rigger I do contribute to combat. So I’m not worried about that aspect.

Edward

I see what you're saying, though I was referring to the psychological side effect of not being physically present, ever. It makes the person seem less real to others, I'd imagine. I could be wrong, and really, the issue only exists for hardcore roleplay games, so it may not impact your game at all.
Shrike30
I have this image of the Doberman rolling along up front, couple of runners flanking it on either side, when the door at the end of the hallway opens up and a couple of security guards are suddenly in the hallway. They stare at the team, the team stares back, then the team dives for what cover they can find as the security guards start spraying lead down the hallway.

The Doberman eats a couple of mags of ammunition and essentially disintegrates before the guards are put down with a couple of well-aimed bursts of gel ammo, and then the team gets to chuckle and shake their heads as the lower left corner of their vision scrolls the message "omg wtf lag kill"...
SL James
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Edward @ Mar 16 2006, 12:13 PM)

Edward

I see what you're saying, though I was referring to the psychological side effect of not being physically present, ever. It makes the person seem less real to others, I'd imagine. I could be wrong, and really, the issue only exists for hardcore roleplay games, so it may not impact your game at all.

You don't think there are people who play riggers who make it a point to never meet in the flesh unless absolutely necessary? Heh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012