Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ares in Detroit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Octopoid
I know you're reading this anyway, Waltermandias, you fink. For the rest of you, my players are heading to the Ares facility in Detroit tonight. I've got a full, fun session going for them, but I was curious what nasty tricks and traps you all could suggest and/or (for their benefit) what sorts of weaknesses a Detroit Ares facility might have.

And keep in mind, Ares' HQ is in Detroit.

-Moritori nolumus mori.
"Those of us about to die don't want to."
Brahm
QUOTE (Octopoid @ Mar 16 2006, 12:12 PM)
I know you're reading this anyway, Waltermandias, you fink.

rotfl.gif
For the rest of you, my players are heading to the Ares facility in Detroit tonight.  I've got a full, fun session going for them, but I was curious what nasty tricks and traps you all could suggest and/or (for their benefit) what sorts of weaknesses a Detroit Ares facility might have.

This might not match canon exactly, but usually I think of a AAA corp's HQ as more a sprawling campus than a single building. So you'll have shells of security, it is going to depend a lot on where they want to go. Some areas are going to be similar to public AAA zone, only even lower response times. It'll range from up to areas are going to be full out FAB/paracritter/super sensored/Fortress of Solitude areas that will be near suicide to try to penetrate.

Weaknessess? Air ducts. They always make them too damn big. wink.gif Seriously the biggest weakness, as always, are the people. They are going to have a lot of people around that are suppose to be there so hiding in the normal traffic should be a bit easier as long a they have suitable Fake ID to get them past checkpoints.
stevebugge
Well figure that ARES corporate HQ is going to have the top KE employees working there, I would probably increase the skills and mental attributes of the guards slightly to reflect them being the best and brightest. KE has been doing a fair amount of work on non-lethal containment (largely in pursuit of some Dunkie Prizes) which I would use as liscense to have some very creative systems deployed in some areas, other parts of physical security may be designed to herd the runners in to those areas to become unwilling field test participants. Rail Mounted Smart weapons platforms, all sorts of sensors, chemical systems, gas systems, but focusing on stun damage. Figure matrix security is going to be tough, Knight mastered the Nano-Second Buyout he is probably a cut above in the computer security field, and probably takes a bit more hands on role in his own office. If one is caught being interrogated by Knight himself could be a very intimidating experience for the Runners, and a lot of fun for players.

The weak points will probably be the rank and file personnel and some overonfidence and disbelief of initial security response, as in they probably have a lot of drills and not much actual contact.
emo samurai
Dude... Firewatch! Then again, I see them more as shock troops than security.
Brahm
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Mar 16 2006, 01:27 PM)
Dude... Firewatch! Then again, I see them more as shock troops than security.

High. Threat. Response.

That is probably what makes messing around the HQ so scary, screwing up bad enough that a Firewatch team got activated. This being HQ I expect them to have a full scale response option for security. If Octopoid is nice he'll have that team drawn up beforehand and sitting there handy. Because coming up with something like that on the fly it is easy to accidentally scorch the PCs worse than intended.
emo samurai
Why do you view it as a campus? Because Ares seems devoted to giving its departments more leeway than any of the other megacorps?
Brahm
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Why do you view it as a campus? Because Ares seems devoted to giving its departments more leeway than any of the other megacorps?

By campus I mean a collection of buildings located on a large plot of land, likely with an adjacent or nearby residential area for the lifers, execs, and execs' meatpuppets/mistresses/livestock. Like an arcology without the big walls. smile.gif
Geekkake
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Mar 16 2006, 01:35 PM)

By campus I mean a collection of buildings located on a large plot of land, likely with an adjacent or nearby residential area for the lifers, execs, and execs' meatpuppets/mistresses/livestock. Like an arcology without the big walls. smile.gif

I see this as being exactly right. After all, an HQ for a multinational megacorporation that towers above most others like a colossus is going to require huge resources at the corporate nerve center. Just imagine a large corp's current headquarters (look at the MS compound in Redmond), and multiply that by 1,000 for personnel, structures, security, etc.

Can it be infiltrated? Probably. By the best teams out there. A standard SR group? Doomed.
Octopoid
I like the replies I'm getting. I HAVE considered the Firewatch, and, as my runners have already dealt with them before, they're a serious possibility. More suggestions! Of course, I can't confirm or deny any ideas just yet, because my players read these forums, but I like the ideas! Keep 'em coming!
Brahm
QUOTE (Octopoid)
I like the replies I'm getting. I HAVE considered the Firewatch, and, as my runners have already dealt with them before, they're a serious possibility. More suggestions! Of course, I can't confirm or deny any ideas just yet, because my players read these forums, but I like the ideas! Keep 'em coming!

They have met them before? How did they fare? Keep in mind this is likely the equivalent of Home Ground for a Firewatch team. Even Firewatch teams are going to vary in Skill somewhat, and this is the place you are likely to meet up with the most Skilled and motivated of the lot. They'll know the area well and should have ideal equipment for whatever particular part of the place they get called to, and have immediate access to excellent sensor intel.
Octopoid
Duly noted. Last time, the 'runners managed to face the Firewatch on the 'runners' terms, and even then, it was not an easy fight. This time, if they run into the Firewatch (and I'm hard pressed to figure out how they avoid it...), it'll be on Ares' terms. It won't go as well.

Also, a tip for all of you other 'runners and GMs out there: Flash packs + thermal smoke = serious penalties for everyone... but it's worse for the defenders.

Also, 'runners don't like tear gas...
stevebugge
Try this combo on for size:

Ceiling Track Mounted Smart Firing Platform set to traverse major corridors. Loaded with appropriate sensors and a good rating targeting and clearsight autosoft. Weapon Mount is an Ares Super Squirt loaded out with GammaScopalomine and a couple of Pepper Punch gas grenades. Works off of employee ID RFID Tags, no tag the platform notifies a security office, and opens fire at the beginning of the following combat round unless overridden by a security rigger.

EDIT: as an afterthought if you equipped it wuth Ultrasound or the proper frequency Radar it could be hidden above standard lightweight false ceiling and be set on hydraulics to deploy through it to engage a target, of course a different sensor set would be employed if used in this manner.
Geekkake
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Mar 16 2006, 05:13 PM)

Ceiling Track Mounted Smart Firing Platform set to traverse major corridors.  Loaded with appropriate sensors and a good rating targeting and clearsight autosoft.  Weapon Mount is an Ares Super Squirt loaded out with GammaScopalomine and a couple of Pepper Punch gas grenades.  Works off of employee ID RFID Tags, no tag the platform notifies a security office, and opens fire at the beginning of the following combat round unless overridden by a security rigger.

EDIT: as an afterthought if you equipped it wuth Ultrasound or the proper frequency Radar it could be hidden above standard lightweight false ceiling and be set on hydraulics to deploy through it to engage a target, of course a different sensor set would be employed if used in this manner.

Why bother with the expense of the Sentrygun? Just fill the corridor with CS or Gamma.

EDIT: Or better yet... Halon. Double-purpose, saves money, kills intruders. No canon stats, but really, it just sucks all the oxygen out of room.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Geekkake)

Ceiling Track Mounted Smart Firing Platform set to traverse major corridors.  Loaded with appropriate sensors and a good rating targeting and clearsight autosoft.  Weapon Mount is an Ares Super Squirt loaded out with GammaScopalomine and a couple of Pepper Punch gas grenades.  Works off of employee ID RFID Tags, no tag the platform notifies a security office, and opens fire at the beginning of the following combat round unless overridden by a security rigger.

Why bother with the expense of the Sentrygun? Just fill the corridor with CS or Gamma.

EDIT: Or better yet... Halon. Double-purpose, saves money, kills intruders. No canon stats, but really, it just sucks all the oxygen out of room.

There isn't a good value reason no. Mostly it would serve as ego gratification for KE executives or may have been deployed by R&D simply to show it could be done. These sorts of actions are frequently taken at Corporate Headquarters. Basically when in an earlier post I suggested getting creative with the deterents the reasoning behind it is that all sorts of budget blowing wacky stuff gets done at corporate HQ's because they have the rest of the company to support them and ego's run amok. Basically I would use it as an excuse to deploy security systems that don't make budget sense in other places to make taking on a Corp HQ a unique experience for the players, and give their characters something to talk about.
Geekkake
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Mar 16 2006, 03:01 PM)

There isn't a good value reason no. Mostly it would serve as ego gratification for KE executives or may have been deployed by R&D simply to show it could be done. These sorts of actions are frequently taken at Corporate Headquarters. Basically when in an earlier post I suggested getting creative with the deterents the reasoning behind it is that all sorts of budget blowing wacky stuff gets done at corporate HQ's because they have the rest of the company to support them and ego's run amok. Basically I would use it as an excuse to deploy security systems that don't make budget sense in other places to make taking on a Corp HQ a unique experience for the players, and give their characters something to talk about.

I agree with your assessment of the nature of HQ security. However, not to start an argument, Halon is, indeed, cheaper, in the sense that you can use it as a fire control system (as with modern day data centers) that doesn't damage electronics in the same work area.
stevebugge
Oh I wasn't saying that it wouldn't have a Halon Fire Supression system, just that if I were doing the design for this particular set up I would have the some of the exotic new/prototype systems lined up for security and the Fire Supression System be only a fire supression system.

Now for the much more budget conscious branches, especially places like auomated factories I would say it's not only possible but probably highly likely that the Fire Supression system pulls double duty. Also there is nothing preventing a desparate or clever security rigger from using the fire supression system to stop an intruder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012