Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gaining new contacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Willis
I want to give my characters a mister johnson contact since none of them had one to start with. should I make them pay some of their karma to get this contact or just give it to them so they have a in for runs? any advice? I didn't see anything in the character advancement table about getting new contacts, so I assume they just get one.....

Willis
Oracle
Contacts are made through roleplaying. It's like in the real world, you know? You meet somebody, talk to him, he leaves his business card, you call him later...voilà: A new contact. I know, some fellow roleplayers aren't used to outgame social interaction... rotfl.gif

But possibly the contact you are looking for is more a fixer than a Mr. Johnson...
MK Ultra
In the past, I gave out new contacts based on the pc´s interaction of these npcs whithout any cost. Recently I started to chrge karma for new contacts. This was mainly, because I built an all-Karma-chargen system, where I needed KP-cost for contacts instead of bp cost. After I put together this system (well I haven´t really finished), I found, that it would be nice to charge Karma ingame as well, but give out extra Karma for good pc-npc interaction. This way, a player with less talent or interest in pc-npc interaction could compensate with regular good karma, to get decent new contacts to, or improve old ones. Another plus IMO is, that by charging (and giving out extra) karma for contacts, the number and ratings of contacts are represented in the pc´s street cred (you are who you know).

I charged 1 Karma per Rating point, so i.e. a C2/L3 contact would be worth 5 Karma, upgrading L to 4 later would cost 1 Karma.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Oracle @ Mar 23 2006, 03:00 AM)
Contacts are made through roleplaying. It's like in the real world, you know? You meet somebody, talk to him, he leaves his business card, you call him later...voilà: A new contact. I know, some fellow roleplayers aren't used to outgame social interaction...  rotfl.gif

Oh, this is how it works in RL eek.gif

I always thougt it works like this:
-go to lokal gaming store or surf lokal rpg forum
-post "looking for SR player/gm/group" on blackbord or forum
-wait for answer
-try out the new contact for 1-3 sessions
-decide on using contact further or discard and return to start

Now maybe, you´ve got a very distorted concept of RL!

RL is the time betweem SR-sessions, while you visit your gaming store, discuss SR on forums, prepaire adventures and build characters dead.gif
Kremlin KOA
what about the time you spend doing things not related to SR
Edward
Players rarely have mister Johnson contacts. They have fixer contacts that set up meetings with different Johnsons, the Johnson will do no favours at all for you. The relationship is even more business like than a loyalty one contact. Think about the relationship you have with a used car salesman when you walk onto his lot for the first time

You can’t buy contacts during play. You must role play to get them. A house rule allowing you to get them with karma would be acceptable but I would still allow good role playing.

Say I talk nicely and make friends with the Aries arms salesperson we just saved, convince him to come to my weakly poker game, latter to sell us anything he can sell (any Aries weapon, accessory, armour or combat drone) for the base sticker price, and likely in the next few poker games get him comfortable talking about work to us. I just gained a rating 2/4 contact, soon to become 3/4. That is 7 points of karma, probably more than I earned on the run (even if I did get one point for drama doing it) and I have no choice but to spend it. I have seen characters that pulled a stunt like every second session. You’re not leaving any karma to actually advance the character.

Edward
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

What is this time that you speak of?
Azralon
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Mar 23 2006, 07:52 AM)

What is this time that you speak of?

Probably that "sleep cycle" I hear that some people get to do.
Moon-Hawk
Yeah, sleep! I do that sometimes. It's that time when I dream about Shadowrun.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

Well, I don´t play other RPGs that often nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Moonhawk)
Yeah, sleep! I do that sometimes. It's that time when I dream about Shadowrun.

I do all my sleaping in character, that way you can gloss over it and do not waste precious gametime. Also, most of my characters get a sleap regulator, so the glossing over uses up only half the time as well. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012