Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking outside targets signal range
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Hacking outside opponents signal range.

This just popped into my mind. Am I invincible from being attacked in the matrix if the targets signal is too short to reach any kind of matrix connection so that they can leapfrog through nodes to attack my connection?

Example:

HaXXoR is having a signal range of 1000M and his target has 100 meter. He knows the Matrix ID of his target and all relevant information about his icon. He can see the ICON information from the target since his signal can pick up the information. His target can NOT see HaXXoR’s icon or persona since his signal is too weak to pick it up.

HaXXoR use attack programs against the target but the target does not have sufficient signal strength to send another attack back at him.

In order for BOTH of them to be able to have a fair matrix fight they must both be within 100 meters since that is the lowest signal.

Would this mean that you could theoretically be immune to IC and Agents as long as you send information and does not receive?

Have I missed something with the signal strength description in the SR4 book?

Ranneko
Actually it would be the reverse, HaXXoR would be able to have his traffic (if he is sending it to the upper limit of the range) by his target, were his target to look for it.

It would of course, be unviable to perform any actions between them as it is almost impossible to do anything without some form of feedback.

I can send data at you all day long, but if I get no response I have no idea if the data is arriving, or is irretrevable corrupted and I should send it again.

On the other hand, yes you would be immune to attack if you don't receive data.

I'd just say that you can't viably attack them either.
Crusher Bob
Removing all other wireless re-transmitters (we'll say bot the hacker and the target are out in the wilderness).

Target has a signal range of 100M

Hacker has a signal range of 1000M

At 1001 meters
Neither can see anything.

At 1000 meters
Target may be able to detect Hacker's signal with Radio direction finding equipment (actually the signal detection range is usually longer, but we'll keep things simpler).

Hacker can send messages to Target, but nothing 'interactive'. Hacker can still send the 2070 equivalent of email bombs, viruses, etc, but Hacker can get no information back from Targets commlink.

Target canot send messages back to Hacker.

At 100M
Both Hacker and Target's comm-links can be fully interactive:
Hacking, interactive communication, etc.

-------

So notice that having a low signal strength offers minor protection against hacking (not as good as having no wireless capability at all, of course).

However, in the city, full of wireless re-transmission points, the signal strenths are almost irrelevant. If Target is within 100M of a retrans point and Hacker is within 1000M of a retrans point anywhere else in the world, then Hacker can hack Target's commlink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012