Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Familiar Tree
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Friggas Ring
I was reading Steve Kenson's article of variations of Ally Spirits when I thought, "I wonder why no one has through of having an Ally inhabit a great tree."

Let's say, sitting in my shaman's backyard is his Shamanic Lodge, and smack in the middle of the lodge is a huge oak tree taller than the closest house. It may not move, but it can see for miles. And just how many times do you worry about the trees when your team breaks into someone's house? It could still fight in astral space using its sorcery skill. It wouldn't have any quickness, but its body should be through the roof. Sure, it can't come with you on a Shadowrun, but it can guard your stuff while you're away or asleep or just not paying attention to that small team of hitmen sneaking toward your kitchen ready to unleash Hell on you hoop because of that hit on Renraku you pulled last week.

If anyone's tried anything like this before, let me know how it's worked out. Also, if you foresee any problems with an ally inhabiting a tree, let me know. I may bug my GM to let me do this in the near future and I'd like to address any issues beforehand.

-fr
mfb
well, i guess you could do that. i mean, it's an interesting idea but it is--to me--too limited to be something i'd want to play.
Zan
couldn't you just spend the karma to give the spirit a tree form? Or am I thinking of something else?
Kagetenshi
"Why are we stopped?"
"Um... sir, I'm not sure how to tell you this."
"What?"
"We hit a tree."
"Who the hell was driving? Are they drunk?"
"No. We... um... hit a tree in the middle of the highway."

~J
Friggas Ring
Yeah, it is super limited. The reason why my character would even think about it is that my GM has a habit of sending crack squads of goons to my house to teach me a lesson (it hasn't happened so far with this character, but that may change) also, my shaman has a 10 year old dependant and these damn babysitters are bleeding him dry!

As fas as, why don't I just give him the form of a tree, I thought the size of spirits depending on their force. A force 4 ally spirit would be what? 8 feet tall, 8 feet wide max? I mean, if you could just pick how big an ally is, why not just give him the form of Godzilla? Sure, his stats are fixed, but Godzilla has like a reach of 30. But then, that's just how I see it. I may be totally wrong.

Chances are, I'll just go with an Ally spirit that looks like a young griffin anyway.

-fr
snowRaven
well... here's an idea - get two ally spirits - one griffin, and one tree. Sure, it'll cost you a drekload of karma, and two magic points, but... may very well be worth it. Oh, and be sure to make one as your ordeal for initiation.
Drain Brain
No... make your Ally spirit's form look like an Ent - Lord of teh Rings Stylee...

Sure, it would be slow, but as you said above it would kick ass and be scary as hell... specially with an appropriately demonic visage!
Rev
I think its a cool idea for a magician in shadowrun (especially a druid or something), but an incredibly bad idea for a shadowrunner. You think this will somehow protect your home from "crack squads of goons"? All it means is that your ally gets banished and your tree burned down or whatever along with whatever else they do to mess with you.
Kanada Ten
Why not have the ally inhabit the house.

Talk about a haunted house...
Friggas Ring
QUOTE (Rev)
All it means is that your ally gets banished and your tree burned down or whatever along with whatever else they do to mess with you.

Yeah, I think that's more or less half the reason I'm not going to do it. (The other half is that I like the benefits of having an ally spirit accompanying me on missions)
All very very interesting ::continues to re-read Magic in the Shadows:: ::smiles:: "I know I know, I read it so LONG ago I forgot everything."
snowRaven
I wonder what it would cost to build houses that are Homunculus Foci...

Gives a new meaning to using Feng Shui and Geomancers as help in planning your work.
Chaos
I had an idea similar to this one a while back(it involved the Ally spirit having the form, homuculos(?) or other wise though) my insperation was drawn from Devil May cry 2 When Dante Fights the demon Building.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

That's an awesome idea -- finally a true use for the poltergeist spell!!

-- Dash --
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

As soon as I started reading this thread I thought of a huanted house, I think I will bring it up at our next game. smile.gif
Munchkinslayer
What about an ally in a sword, ala Stormbringer? Or a taco that craps icecream?
Crusher Bob
There was a thread earlier about an alternate ally that was a weapon focus rather than a power focus, anyone remember it any better?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012