Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: para-animals attack shipping?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn2...20060327a5.html there are problems with high speed ferrys between Japan and korea hitting whales. BUT if you read the article, several people were injured when their boat was hit by a whale.

Japan is one of the few countries that openl;y supports whaling.
El_Machinae
I thought this would be a thread making fun of Snakes on a Plane!
PBTHHHHT
I just dare someone to make a small adventure session using snakes on a plane!

Of course there was that one adventure in amazonia where ye might pick up some paracritters that could get loose on yer flight back...
Tiralee
<Cough> Predator And Prey: Forbidden Fruit <Cough>
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
I just dare someone to make a small adventure session using snakes on a plane!

Snakes on a motherfucking plane.

~J
mfb
so, what's that about?
Crusher Bob
And I'll bet something like depressurizing the plane and putting all the passengers on O2 and waiting for the snakes to die would be too easy?
Backgammon
Snakes on a plane is only a bad movie because Chuck Norris isn't in it.
Kagetenshi
Chuck Norris is in it. Who do you think plays the snakes?

~J
ShadowDragon8685
But the snakes don't win, as I understand it. That clearly makes your statement a lie, Kage.
Kagetenshi
See, that's where you're wrong. Just think about it, would Chuck Norris and Samuel L. Jackson ever be on opposite sides? Clearly ridiculous. There is only one possible conclusion.

~J
eidolon
And that conclusion is that that is the single worst fucking excuse for a movie idea/plot/story/garbage that I've seen all year.
bclements
But you know that you're going to be there on opening night wink.gif

Motherfucking Snakes on a motherfucking plane.

T,FTFY*

*The first was more SLJ-esque, but the latter is probably what was added in the reshooting.
eidolon
I haven't been to an opening night for a movie in about a year and a half. Somehow I don't think this one's gonna break my streak. wink.gif

Seriously, what the effin crap is the deal? You have to have an IQ of 10 to enjoy movies these days. Plot holes so large you can drive trucks through them, acting that I regularly see my gaming group beat, pathetic excuses for stories and characters..... BAH!
/rant
El_Machinae
Jeeezzzz, somebody totally threadjacked the opening intent of this post ...
Shrapnel
QUOTE (eidolon)
I haven't been to an opening night for a movie in about a year and a half.  Somehow I don't think this one's gonna break my streak. wink.gif

Seriously, what the effin crap is the deal?  You have to have an IQ of 10 to enjoy movies these days.  Plot holes so large you can drive trucks CHUCK NORRIS could drive a semi through them, acting that I regularly see my gaming group beat, pathetic excuses for stories and characters..... BAH!
/rant

There, fixed it for ya... wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon)
And that conclusion is that that is the single worst fucking excuse for a movie idea/plot/story/garbage that I've seen all year.

No.

QUOTE (Me @ elsewhere)
Seriously, though, I don't think I can put into words how excited this movie makes me. The camp style has been neglected for far too long—it's turned into a derogatory label, for god's sake! I see this as an opportunity for camp to take back its name as a style that may be unsophisticated, may not have much depth, may not appeal to fundamental parts of humanity, but nevertheless is, at least for the generation it is created for, simply fun and unpretentious.

~J
Dranem
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
there are problems with high speed ferrys between Japan and korea hitting whales. BUT if you read the article, several people were injured when their boat was hit by a whale.

Japan is one of the few countries that openl;y supports whaling.

If I recall, the biggest problem with leviathans in the oceans is that they're liable to hit supertankers and cause a lot of corporate damage to shipping lanes.
hyzmarca
Where have Leviathans appeared? I know they're in the Earthdawn Dragons PDF and the SR4 core rules but other than that they are the most mysterious of all dragon races.
SL James
I think Dranem is referring to the carnivorous whales that show up here:

Paranormal Animals of North America, pp.100-101; Critters, p.35.

The Leviathan (SR4, pp.297-97) is a different creature (a dracoform).
Platinum
QUOTE (SL James @ Mar 30 2006, 11:26 AM)
I think Dranem is referring to the carnivorous whales that show up here:

Paranormal Animals of North America, pp.100-101; Critters, p.35.

The Leviathan (SR4, pp.297-97) is a different creature (a dracoform).

Leviathan is another moniker for crocodile. Just like Behemoth is a Hippo.

Old texts often refer to these beasts this way.

Of course mythology and games spin this into new creatures.
SL James
There is more information on Sea Dragons/Leviathans, btw, in DotSW on p.176.
emo samurai
Don't Leviathans have awesome maneuverability? Why the hell would they hit supertankers? They wouldn't do this out of environmental concern; that would just spill oil and stuff into the oceans. It doesn't make sense; and I'm sure even a dragon would appreciate the concept of live and let live under these circumstances.
SL James
No idea. There's nothing I've seen about either creature doing anything with supertankers.
PBTHHHHT
Depends on the creature.
Don't forget some creatures that can be territorial and attacking anything that comes into it's territory. For a leviathan, a supertanker is something large and intruding in its space, guess what it'll attack it. Especially if it's a predator, it won't be a fraid of many things if it's on top of the food chain.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (SL James)
No idea. There's nothing I've seen about either creature doing anything with supertankers.

Neither have I, but I did give some sort of reason out.

Other reason... maybe the leviathan is amorous and saw the supertanker as being the right size... nyahnyah.gif
SL James
Neither one is that big. That's like mistaking an elephant for a human.
PBTHHHHT
Heh, I stand corrected then... or am I? *insert ominous music*

edit: Just because if you were wondering I would suggest such a weird situation...
SL James
Well, the whale is 18-22m long, the dracoform is 25m.

The largest supertanker is 459m long.

Whereas a rhino and a car are at least within one or two magnitudes of each other in size/weight.

QUOTE (bclements)
Motherfucking Snakes on a motherfucking plane.

T,FTFY*

*The first was more SLJ-esque, but the latter is probably what was added in the reshooting.

You love me! DS really loves me!
emo samurai
Aren't leviathans, like, smart? Wouldn't they know that if they rammed open a tanker, oil would spill out and poison it?
PBTHHHHT
Maybe not the first time, but any survivors from the toxic fall out would learn...
hyzmarca
Never underesitmate the power of spite. Its why there are so many noseless people in the world.
mfb
hey, you have to teach your face somehow. it's gotta learn.
SL James
It learned already. Didn't you see the dislocation it got when it "fell down the stairs?"
nick012000
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Don't Leviathans have awesome maneuverability? Why the hell would they hit supertankers? They wouldn't do this out of environmental concern; that would just spill oil and stuff into the oceans. It doesn't make sense; and I'm sure even a dragon would appreciate the concept of live and let live under these circumstances.

It's a dragon. Its attacking of the ship was obviously part of a Machiavellian plot to take over the world.

First, the Oil Tankers.
Then, Saeder-Krupp.
Then, the WORLD!!!!
*thunderclap*
*evil laughter*
ShadowDragon8685
That, or it was really, really horny.
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
<snip>

TEHO.
Kagetenshi
The worst lie modern man has had to endure. There is only one Truth, and I am its humble distributor.

~J, too lazy to add a smiley.
eidolon
Bah. You give it away for free?

I take Paypal.
stevebugge
Aren't those awakenes sharks, Megalodons I think they are called, pretty big too? Obviously not likely to threaten even a tramp steamer much less a modern container ship or tanker, but big enough to be pretty pesky to things like fishing fleets or smaller barges.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012