Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The speed of spirits.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Shouldn't spirits get faster as they grow in force? I'd be disappointed if air spirits were limited to moving around at around 70 MPH.
Jaid
their strength increases. therefore their "run" skill increases.

therefore, yes... higher force spirits go faster, when they are running.

also, i am not aware of any limitation that keeps them from using the movement power on themselves.

it should be noted, for the record, that all spirits can travel at approximately mach 1 iirc, by travelling on the astral.
emo samurai
So they're slower on the astral than projecting mages? And were spirits allowed to use their movement powers on themselves in earlier editions?
Thanee
There are a few oddities with astral attributes, anyways... especially initiative seems rather low on the astral, when you start mixing in dual-actives (i.e. perceiving mages).

Bye
Thanee
Jaid
wait, i thought astral forms traveled at mach 1 or thereabouts... might have gotten that wrong...
emo samurai
If they want to actually find things on the astral, they travel at mach 1; if they want to circle the globe for the sake of circling the globe, they can do it in under an hour.

Also, if they could use "movement" on themselves, why don't they use it all the time so that they go at OMFG 300 MPH?
Jaid
who says they don't use it on their own time?

when they're conjured/bound, they apparently aren't too happy about it (otherwise why would they resist?) so i would say they are more trying to make you use up a service by telling them to use movement on themselves.

i would also expect that they don't really care about how fast they move while manifested... it's going to be slow compared to Astral travel anyways, which is where they are most comfortable. the typical spirit will travel in the astral for much the same reasons you probably prefer a car to walking; it's more comfortable, and it's generally faster.
emo samurai
So the point of spirit affinity is for summoned and bound spirits to go the extra mile and do everything in their power to help rather than misinterpret your commands.
Thanee
Only spirits you have treated badly (and maybe those you have Spirit Bane for) will misinterprete your commands.

Spirit Affinity is more for spirits you did not summon yourself. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
emo samurai
Well, spirit affinity would still motivate your own spirits to do the best they can while using all the powers they can, won't they? For example, you could tell an earth spirit to simply use up one task to "help me escape" rather than need to tell the spirit to "crush those guards (one task), conceal me from those other guards, (second task) then Move the groups car (third task)." Does this seem plausible? And it seems as if you could get it for free by treating your spirits really well...
emo samurai
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANOTHER DOUBLE POST!!! My school's internet is so slow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012