Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The great new conspiracy.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
The great new conspiracy.
Miracle shooter

Released buy Aries and already responsible for at least one death this AR shoot-em-up has got to be a conspiracy.

What we have is a training ground creating a generation of fighters with real skill and real abilities that will instantly translate to real guns. Unlike previous VR games that only gave the players skill with guns MS is forcing them to train there bodies as well. The best players will be good enough to be immediately indoctrinated into proactive security units, only requiring training in specific unit procedures.

Further the game provides easy access to send psychotropic programs into user’s brains. Thus ensuring that offers will not be refused.

Why is Aries doing this, what do they have planed? And have the manufacturers of the competing games soon to hit the market got similar ideas or are they only after game revenue.

Idea’s myself and my group came up with include,

Recruiting for knight errant
Recruiting for Special Forces
Uploading psychotropic programs to selected users (easy access)
Recruiting for bug spirit investment
All of the above

As I understand policy now that this has been posted on the internet it will not be part of the metta plot (although I would have no objection to it being used, even if it was not on the table before, you have my permission to use this even if it is my original idea no benefit to me)

Edward
NightHaunter
Many thanks bud.

Awesome idea, duely stolen with thanks.

The, all of them, option seems good.
Large Mike
Recruiting for bug spirit infestation? I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Good eye for evil, though.
fool
actually considering that ares was investing animals with bug spirits in its secret compound in the far north of canada (see T2) not that much of a stretch
yesman
I ran a Lonestar game a few years ago that had a hook involving a system like this. A corp was developing a sim based learning system that utilized skillsofts, hot sim, and electric stimulus to nerves and muscles while the learner was playing the sim games to develop actual skills.

One of the test subjects was an ex Wildcat with experimental alpha-ware wired reflexes and skillsofts. Those systems interacted poorly with the new sim-learning, and launched the former Wildcat into psychosis from which he began acting out the murders from the Sherlock Holmes books (Sherlock Holmes based detective games were used in the sim training).
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Edward)
As I understand policy now that this has been posted on the internet it will not be part of the metta plot

Huh?
Muskie
Apparently Fanpro won't take ANY Fan-produced stuff, no matter how good the idea into the SR Meta-Plot, unless it's submitted in Snail Mail to FP.. at least that's what I gather.

Muskie

(Coolest Sig Ever, Winterhawk, BTW)
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Muskie)
Apparently Fanpro won't take ANY Fan-produced stuff, no matter how good the idea into the SR Meta-Plot, unless it's submitted in Snail Mail to FP.. at least that's what I gather.

Well, if you mean they don't grab ideas off Dumpshock, you're right. But the metaplot is the metaplot, and it's planned out quite some time into the future. Just because FP might be planning to replace Lofwyr and the entire board of Aztechnology with mischievous shedim spirits (I keed! I keed!) doesn't mean that if someone managed to come up with the same idea and post it to Dumpshock, they'd suddenly abandon the plan.

Edward
I was told that they would cancel metaplot of somebody posted it online. I don’t know the truth of it but considering potential copyright issues I can see it being true.

The amount of attention miracle shooter has gotten is comparable to the first mention of the universal brotherhood. Just a thought.

Edward
FrankTrollman
I'm pretty sure it's more like:

For reasons of potential copywrite infringement, Rob goes out of his way to not read dumpshock threads. So if you post a really cool idea on DS and it gets a lot of traction, it won't end up in a sourcebook and you won't be paid $300 for it. However, if you then take that idea and send it to Fanpro as a book submission, they'll evaluate it and possibly take you on as a freelancer.

I am pretty sure that's how it works. So if you want to write up the segment about the Miracle Shooter Conspiracy, all you really have to do is send in a proposal to Rob and convince him that you should be the guy to do so. You'll want to make a proposal that is about 1000 words and you'll ultimately be writing a chapter that's about 10,000 words - including the in-character portion and the game information sections.

There's a whole separate thing where if you get that accepted, they'll want you to limit the number of hints you give out, so you'll probably have to stop updating your descriptions of the miracle shooter conspiracy once you're brought on board as a freelancer. But until that point you can speculate all you want.

Maybe Ares is attempting to make a more perfect soldier spirit that retains Ares Loyalty and the ability to wield firearms while gaining the hive mind-link and spiritual immunity to weaons?

Maybe Ares is just trying to make ghost hackable disposable assassins?

If you get hired on as a freelancer, all those questions and more could be answered by you. Of course, you'd have to get your work cleared past the other authors working on different chapters of the same book - and I hear some of them are pretty hard to work with. wink.gif

-Frank
Red
For anyone that has read Blackjack's page, I'm sure that many could see a synergy between Thrillkill, and Miracle Shooter. That would be quite the twist.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Edward)
I was told that they would cancel metaplot of somebody posted it online. I don’t know the truth of it but considering potential copyright issues I can see it being true.

No, I don't think it's true. That would be a nightmare--imagine the potential for abuse if it got out that FanPro would cancel any metaplot that got posted online. (In this case I'm talking about stuff posted by non-NDA'd folks--those who have signed NDAs are in for some legal troubles if they start posting FanPro secrets online, including sharing them with non NDA'd people who then turn around and post them--but even then, I doubt it would result in cancellation of that item).

Suppose, for example, that someone manages to read the signs and figure out where a metaplot point is going--and doesn't like it. What would stop that person from simply posting their ideas to Dumpshock and (if what you're suggesting is true) forcing FanPro to abandon that direction and take the plot down some other path?

That would be an awesome power put into the hands of Dumpshock, wouldn't it? biggrin.gif

To use another non-FanPro example, look at the Harry Potter books. The amount of effort HP fans put in to speculating about what's going to happen in the next one is staggering--and I can't believe that at least some of them haven't gotten a few of the details right. Would JK Rowling be in legal trouble if she wrote the book the way she intended to, and ended up using some if the ideas that fans posted on the web?

The only way I could see the issue being a problem is if someone posted a detailed and fairly unique idea to a public place (like Dumpshock) and then that idea appeared (in substantially similar form) in a sourcebook more than a year later. Even then, I don't know if it would be legally actionable (I'm not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV).

If you've got good ideas, submit them. If you can write them up in fiction, write a story about them and submit them to the SR Web Fiction page. If people like them, you could end up writing about them for the sourcebooks. Stranger things have happened.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
You'll want to make a proposal that is about 1000 words and you'll ultimately be writing a chapter that's about 10,000 words - including the in-character portion and the game information sections.

Well, not necessarily. I, for one, got my start freelancing by writing a couple of 1,000 word sections for SOTA:63, so don't be daunted by the prospect of necessarily having to churn out 10,000 words for your first assignment. If you have a good idea that fits into the plan for an upcoming book, you might be asked to write up just that section, which will be part of a larger chapter.

Of course, you might also be asked to write 40,000 words. biggrin.gif
Nidhogg
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Futuremen, v2.00.
emo samurai
Dude, they already do that with the "America's Army" game. They make the game as realistic as possible and take stats on how people behave. The best performers are tracked down. Of course, there's no insect spirit infestation or psychotrope in that game.
James McMurray
That we know about.
b1ffov3rfl0w
Wasn't that also the plot of The Last Starfighter? Not the specifics, of course.

emo samurai
Or the evil.
Dranem
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w)
Wasn't that also the plot of The Last Starfighter? Not the specifics, of course.

Yes it was, the game was sent around Earth to see if any humans had the potential to be Starfighter pilots.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (Nidhogg)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Apr 4 2006, 11:11 AM)

Futuremen, v2.00.

Oh yes this I like.
Now we're getting somewhere else, somewhere fun.
Time to implement methinks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012