Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside Man
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Anythingforenoughnuyen
I don't know if someone mentioned this is a post recently, but in the movie Inside Man Jodie Foster plays a character that is just about the perfect example of a high powerd fixer. There are some other cools Shadowrun elements in the movie, but, for the Shadowrun fan, Mrs. White is definitely worth checking out the movie.

Some time ago a new player in my group who had never played Shadowrun asked what a Fixer was, and we [me, the GM, and the rest of the players] were trying to think of movies with characters that were fixers. In that spirit, does anyone out there know of any other movies that also have very cool fixer characters in them?
Crusher Bob
Movies with fixers:

The Killer
Heat
Pulf Fiction (Wolfe?)
Strange Days (Lenny)
Get Shorty + Be Cool (Travolta's character)
child of insanity
any prison movie. in 'the longest yard' chris rock's character was a fixer.
umm... there's lots out there, i just can't remember their names.
oh, in 'the replacement killers' there's a low level fixer. what's his name... Jackie?
Birdy
Indy Jones 1 and 3 has the arabian contact (played IIRC by Rhys-Davis) that is basically a fixer. IIRC Quatermain II has a Fixer in the "fitting out" scene

DS9 has Quark the space(ing) worthy Ferengi who is a classical Fixer

Not a movie but Walter Jon Williams "Hardwired" has the classical fixer archetypes (The Middleman). And Efflinger "When Gravity Fails" has another one (The protagonists "sponsor")

And who can forget the ultimate fixer. The one you should have payed respect before. The one you are now asking for a favor - The GodFather.
bustedkarma
Danny Aiello (sp?) in The Professional.
Gabriel Byrne in The Point of No Return...although he's more of A Handler than anything.

Wiz In Red
The IRA guy in Boondock Saints was a good example of a fixer geared specifically towards weapons.
Prospero
A handler is sort of a company man fixer, really anyway.

Another thought - that cockney guy in Firefly. There are a few in Firefly, actually, but he's the recurring one.
JonathanC
In Snatch, the main character is a small-time fixer of sorts. And in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, I forget the guy's name....the one who was like "If you dont' want to be counting the fingers you haven't got, you will get those shotguns." He was a little aggressive as a fixer, but he was basically the go-between for a client and the people who would actually be doing the job.
yesman
Jean Reno's character from Ronin
There were a couple in The Usual Suspects, Redfoot was one, I forget the other.
bustedkarma
QUOTE (yesman)
Jean Reno's character from Ronin
There were a couple in The Usual Suspects, Redfoot was one, I forget the other.

I was thinking about Ronin when I was at lunch.
Great flick.
bustedkarma
QUOTE (JonathanC)
In Snatch, the main character is a small-time fixer of sorts. And in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, I forget the guy's name....the one who was like "If you dont' want to be counting the fingers you haven't got, you will get those shotguns." He was a little aggressive as a fixer, but he was basically the go-between for a client and the people who would actually be doing the job.

Sorry for Double Post.

Snatch was Turkish
Lock, Stock was Barry the Baptist.
Moon-Hawk
I know we're all thinking it.
All bashing aside, Johnny Mnemonic has Ralfi, played by Udo Kier (who is just sweet), as a cyberpunk fixer.
BlacKat
For recent films there is Nicholas Cage's character from Lord of War.

A specilist in the field definatly but still a fixer.

BlacKat
SL James
I believe most people call them "arms dealers."
Birdy
QUOTE (SL James)
I believe most people call them "arms dealers."

Well, a Fixer is for me that thing in the corner getting himself high on Heroin or other injected drugs and a Dealer is the slimeball that sells him the stuff.

So I doubt there will be "Fixers" and "Dealers" running around in SR, they'll go by other names.

And don't get me started on the associations that "Decker" has...
SL James
Well, the thing is that there are RL fixers.
emo samurai
They call themselves fixers?
bustedkarma
QUOTE (emo samurai)
They call themselves fixers?

Headhunters for the most part....if they are independent.
Kremlin KOA
actually the term fixer was taken from RL, there are RL fixers... One over here keeps getting his face on the news as they constantly try to get him put away
fistandantilus4.0
A good example I found as a fixer/Johnson type was the guy from Elektra, McNab or something like that.
tisoz
Just watched a video of Dirty Pretty Things. Mr. Juan might be seen as a Fixer. The video also showed SINless, organlegging and Street Docs, or at least ideas for those types.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012