Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative Dankwalther Deaths
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kremlin KOA
As I have said multiple times previously. I like that Dankwalther was killed, but dislike the cheesy way it was done

This is not a thread for complaining about:
*Dankwalther
*His Money
*His Death
*His vendetta against Villiers

This is a thread to create alternate scenarios for how he could have been offed.

One suggestion: Novatech sends Johnsons into Dante, Penumbra, Underworld 93 and ever other major runner haunt. The johnson holds up a set of certified credsticks and says
"Each of these sticks has nuyen.gif 100 000 on it. This credit will not be validated until Art Dankwalther is dead, only one per customer."
He then gives the Credsticks to, Shadowrunners, gangers, mafia, Yaks, or anyone tough enough to be able to threaten him and his bodyguard.

now the 'one per customer' limit means the teams will not be geeking each other for extra payment. This could cause the largest single shadowrunner collaboration in history, with the possible exception of the actions against the UB.

Now Novatech could make extra money on this by gifting sim recorders to everyone involved and having them record their runs for a reality TV show 'The Hunt for Red Dankwalther' Hell have the sim recorder attached to the stick...

Now some runners will want to sit on their hands and wait for someone else to succeed, then collect. But you will be hiding from every runner who missed out on getting a stick. And when they get whacked by those runners who missed out. The new runner slots the stick into his commlink and the recording continues.

Guys what do ya think?

Oh and Fanpro, remember if Art had a Saddam style Double, the real Dankwalther could still be out there for this run to happen with. Or find someone else like him, although I doubt it will be so easy to engineer another NPC with the same, Jar Jar Binks, level of hatedness amongst the fan community.
Kagetenshi
Suggestion:

Dankwalther takes his money from the DF. He spends it on the largest BTL binge imaginable, dying of dehydration a mere four days in.

~J
Lindt
Dude, they Thor shotted him. How much cooler can you get? Never mind that a prominint dumpshocker was involved in the shadowspeak for that part.... wasting him with a Thor shot indeed!
Grinder
Being on a DRop Bear hunt in Australia and met his fate there. It's similar to a Thor Shot (death from above) but much stranger. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Dude, isn't that just asking for someone to hack those credsticks?
Edward
Hack them if you can.

There is no cred on them. The cred will be uploaded the first time there slotted after his death has been confirmed.

Edward
Kremlin KOA
they only access blind accounts

and Lindt, if a GM had come up with that Thor shot idea, most players would be crying MUNCHKIN

nowlet's work on ideas for runs
Lets take this threat plot and make adventures based on it
ShadowDragon8685
Don't piss off Ares Macrotechnology or Saeder-Krupp too bad, or the Dragon, or else the Knight, might just thumbprint off on a thor shot into your hood.
Kremlin KOA
considering Knight hates villiers...
Kanada Ten
[ Spoiler ]

This is one I worked up where Yamatetsu helps track a Danthwalker agent in order to gain points or sway a vote with Novatech on the Corporate Court.

A pirate named Calypso, perhaps known to the runners, calls up one evening asking them to retrieve some stolen cargo for the standard payment. The thieves are making landfall in the runner’s home port that night aboard a vessel named The Transrapid, and its docking information can be sleazed from the Port Authority’s computer host or a contact. Calypso claims that just one, small box is vital to recovery and offers only a small bonus for the rest. He wants them to sit on the box until he can pick it up, and tells them to keep a low profile. This run can be overly, perhaps eerily easy or dangerous and deadly if the GM desires. The Vory thieves don’t know the full value of the box, but do know that it was the critical catch as they can keep the rest while the box is transported to their bosses back in the Motherland.

Once the runners have the box they can see it’s been damaged and the contents exposed. Inside is a stack of screamsheets and an optical data chip. Almost immediately after arriving at the safe house, the runners will get another call from a Yamatetsu Johnson. The Johnson will request that the runners bring the box and contents to the airport where he will pay them the original price along with releasing Calypso and crew (turning the phonecam to a very bruised pirate, who smiles weakly showing off his newly toothless grin). He will also apologize profusely for interfering with their business, even allowing them to negotiate the price upwards around ten percent.

The runners may want revenge, which is natural, but the security of the airport should discourage them. Either way, the Johnson is sitting in Gate X reading his pocket secretary, and right next to him is a grumpy looking Calypso. The gate is actually packed with Yamatetsu agents, including the tourist in floral beside the Johnson.

Whichever runner approaches the Johnson will be asked to sit in the only vacant seat across from the pirate. The J then hands him or her a certified credstick worth double the agreed upon price and holds out his hand for the box. If the runners try to hold out, Calypso will ask them to go through with it (Astral scanning will reveal no magical interference, though a few of the people about will be magical – and using full Spell Defense on the J). Once the box is in the Johnson’s hand, he’ll wave his left hand over it (internal bug scanner and bomb sniffer) before opening it and removing the chip, which he hands to the tourist beside him. The tourist takes the chip and places it in his mouth without looking up from the brochure in his other hand. The Johnson will make small talk with the runner(s) for a few minutes, discussing their tactics against the Vory or commenting on their cyberware. Then the tourist will remove the chip from his mouth and return it to the J who in turn places it back in the box and hands that back to Calypso; along with a second credstick. He’ll remind both the runner and the pirate that some things are best left unspoken.

Outside, Calypso asks the runners to help deliver the package to its final destination, using the credstick in his hand as payment. He explains that the Vory have instructions to steal the package (again) but he is to insure they fail, and - with half his crew in slings - a few extra hands could make all the difference. The package is on its way to some exotic local, and, with that extra cred, they could take a vacation once it’s safely out of their hands...

This run provides a chance for the runners to make some Vory enemies and gain a Yamatetsu contact along with maybe meeting a soon-to-be-declared-missing agent of Danthwalker. Perhaps before they finish their vacation one of the agent’s friends will ask for help finding the now missing person since they were among the last to see her alive... Was it gangs in a ransom scheme, insect spirits, runners, or did the Vory finally catch-up in a wildly out of control attempt to regain the package?

Bugs: The runners may replace the original chip in an attempt to fool the Johnson. The chip, if scanned, contained a huge encrypted file (rating 12) - just Danthwalker's instructions to this agent. If the runners replace it with a similar file, the Johnson will not know. The modification made by the tourist is an AOD tracking device with an unbelievable conceal of 24. If the runners drop it in the ocean or such, the Johnson will know that, however, and probably not use them again.
Kremlin KOA
[ Spoiler ]

Sweet run
this could be tuurned into an entire campaign
Ophis
The report memo, is from Sks main corp court rep to ol' golden snout, reporting on CC action. So the CC did it on Novatechs behalf.
Kremlin KOA
I want to know how they got that vote through...
consider that Mitsuhama, Ranraku and Ares are all run by people that WANT VILLIERS TO DIE
Crusher Bob
Both FDR and Chruchhill wanted Hitler's head on a stick, but they didn't want him dead enough to accomplish this by allowing the Red Army to march to the Bay of Biscay.
Kremlin KOA
um you might want to remember the red army and FDR and Churchill were ALLIES then, they didn't start distrusting each other until after the war....

admittedly they started the distrust mere weeks after the war
ShadowDragon8685
Actually, they distrusted each other long before the war's end.

But not as much as they all wanted Hitler dead.
Kremlin KOA
OTOH the RED army was more like a corp in that analogy than Art, Art is more like a fifth column in germany
Backgammon
I second Lindt, Thor shot is by far the coolest thing I've seen. I told my players about it and we all had a good laugh about how cool it was they killed him that way.

and Lindt, if a GM had come up with that Thor shot idea, most players would be crying MUNCHKIN

I don't think you know what munchkin means. Canon events cannot be "munchkin", "overpowered" or "min-maxed". It's a freakin plot story. Are you gonna say that the VITAS plagues were munchkin cause thye killed lots of people??
emo samurai
Why would Ares or Mitsuhama hate Villiers so much? I would have thought that the seething hatred would have been limited to his former partners, Yamana and Nakatomi, who run Shiawase and Renraku.
Kremlin KOA
whoops mistake, replace mitsuhama with shiawase

and on the ares thing
Damien Knight = David Gavilan

David Gavilan headed the Echo Mirage Platoon
Those people were his platoon for the entire duration of the war against the crash virus

Look up the term 'Brothersin Arms' to get a hint of how tight knit such a team's survivors would be

And then some pencil necked corporate dick goes and has two of your Brothers in arms murdered and takes their stuff

any questions?
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Backgammon)
I second Lindt, Thor shot is by far the coolest thing I've seen. I told my players about it and we all had a good laugh about how cool it was they killed him that way.

I don't think you know what munchkin means. Canon events cannot be "munchkin", "overpowered" or "min-maxed". It's a freakin plot story. Are you gonna say that the VITAS plagues were munchkin cause thye killed lots of people??

Actually 'Munchkin' in it's original RPG based usage was a reference to immaturity and a play style that led to a GM vs Player approach.

Canon events can easily be Munchkin, all it takes is the same kind of Immature "Wow this idea is sooooo Kewl lololololololol, let's use it even if it makes sense that something else would happen instead" mentality that many are accusing Emo samurai of atm.

The 'KSAF was kept away' bit was worse. SInce a thor shot looks like a freaking FALLING STAR you would be able to see it happen from most of North America. and from some distance be able to see the impact.

Then you get the people like Orbital Bandit seeing the whole thing from space and retransmitting it to shadowland.

COnsidering we have a Corp unfriendly new president. She will b y now have the data on corporate forces using WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION against CIVILIAN TARGETS. That would be all the new revolution needs to make an excuse for a North American Alliance and war on the corporate court.

you asked why it was silly and munchkin... the reason is because these issues are created by the option chosen... and are forseeable by me. Then there is no way Lofwyr wouldn't see them.

But enough about this rant, let's go bac to making alternatives that could be used for runs and adventures.
Kanada Ten
[ Spoiler ]

I cast invisibility on the Thor Shot.
Kremlin KOA
[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: Oh and court members don't pay taxes so No the CC is a Money DRAIN on the UCAS
Kanada Ten
[ Spoiler ]

I'm just keeping this alive until I can work up another one. Didn't Novatech have the CC presidency (or whatever that's called), where they determined what measures were brought before the Court, which is why they went after Art and the IPO in the same period?
Kremlin KOA
[ Spoiler ]
Kanada Ten
[ Spoiler ]
Paul
I had no idea he was dead until this thread came along, and had no spoiler tags at all on it.
Kremlin KOA
sorry
but this isn't the first he is dead thread
they had a lot when System failure came out
Kanada Ten
Novatech learns of a former Fuchi office (now under Renraku's control) where Dankwalther once had a physical examination. The recovered records are sketchy, but it looks like the office was part of a Fuchi security program that took material samples of employees after their first contract renewal. The records don't say what happened to these samples, but the (runner acquired) building plans indicate a basement refrigerator unit large enough to hold several thousand samples. While attempts to use symbolic linking against Art failed, perhaps actual physical samples would work. With the Omega Order, Villiers could just ask Renraku for them, but he suspects Nakatomi is hiding the information to spite him. If he asks and is refused, Renraku will be on alert and might even destroy the prize, denying them the chance altogether.

Runners need to break into the office and make their way to the basement vault to determine if the samples exist and steal them if they do. Renraku does in fact know of the samples, but also that a group of runners came and destroyed them all some time ago. When information about Art's activities reached them, Nakatomi stocked the fridge full with legitimate looking samples, and placed one serious nano trace inside the test tube labeled A.Dankwalther. Renraku wants to catch Novatech red-handed, and will be disappointed when the runners look at the sample and leave empty handed. It seems that after sitting on the shelf in the cold for two years the nanites decided to burn oxygen to stay warm, leaving a blackened tube.

The runners may catch onto the game if they watch the office long enough (no one uses the vaults below), or just beyond the shiny vault door lies a dusty floor and stale, conditioned air. "It's more like a tomb than a vault." The door opening will trigger a previously inactive Slave and a Vanishing Access Node that contacts Renrku's local Samurai (a decker inside the building's security host may notice this; giving the runners a few minutes to escape the trap). The Slave is a pressure switch in the holder for A.Dankwalther. If the runners take the vial before the (already dispatched) Samurai arrive, then the switch will inform the force, who will then stand down. If the runners leave the vial (or if the decker fools the Slave), the Samurai have instructions to capture the easiest target (usually using a stealth drone and tailing them until the team splits up).

The original plan was to allow the runner to escape with the fake A.Dankwalther sample (by taunting him or her with it during interrogation and then putting it within reach of the manufactured escape route). However, with the sample destroyed so, Renraku decides the plan is bust and changes gears. They accuse the runner of working for Art and thus falling into their trap ("we circulated in the shadows information about this office and knew that on of his minions would bite"). But, after interrogating him or her for a period (using mostly experimental psycotrophic techniques - two birds and all that), they release the runner with a reminder to buy Renraku.
Kremlin KOA
I Likee

Keep them coming

I wanna see if we can get mofre runs out of this than were in survival of the fittest
Kanada Ten
A couple of execs at Aztechnology had the brilliant idea of using Art to their own ends by either taking direct control of him or his network (should Novatech kill him). They have to act quickly or the other two faced corps might find him first. They use Reverse Symbolic Tracking, not to find Art, but to find a material sample. With that, they can use Ritual Sorcery to plant suggestions in Dankwalther’s subconscious. They hire runners to steal the Symbolic Link Novatech has been using in attempts to find Dankwalther’s location. They happen to know the Link is being transported to the PCC where NAN shamans will use an “ancient” power site in their own attempt to find him. If the runners can steal the Link before the Pueblos find Dankwalther, they’ll get a big bonus, but (of course) the Azzies only know the code name of the power site (BRICKHOUSE) and that the site will reach full potential on the Summer Solstice. They also don’t know what the Link really is, but think it should be rather obvious (“Like a book, or maybe a teddy dragon, something like that –“ “Maybe it’s his ex-wife?” “Nah, they tried that.”).

The runners will need to troll the PCC conspiracy boards and do a lot of fact checking to narrow the suspect locations. If they get too nosy, someone will hear and tighten security, but that’s only if they ask legit sources or get caught nosing around. If they are persistent, either quite or not, they will narrow the list of possible power sites to two (mostly because the others have public rituals being performed on the Solstice): Chaco Canyon, which is under the thumb of Pueblo Security essentially off limits, and the Canyon De Chelly, which, while in the Ute, is supposedly where the PCC performs the more secret rituals (like “competitive weather manipulation” and “city spanning emotion controlling spells”).

The rumor goes that the Kachina “rent” the site from the Ute in exchange for military hardware. They claim that the magic is aspected to Kachina shamanism anyway, so the Ute lose nothing and gain some high tech toys, while the PCC gains a deniable power site. There isn’t any evidence to discredit the theory besides public denials, and kidnapping a Kachina shaman to ask might bring more danger (though the runners could certainly do just that). If the runners scope the site or check satellite imagery, they will see the site being prepared for a ritual of some kind – and then they’ll also see the Link brought in. Rumbling into the canyon is an oversized lorry trailing a vast yacht covered in an armored tarp and anchored spells.

It seems Art was very fond of the old boat, and it stands as a symbol of his resolve to destroy Novatech. All the runners need to do now, is steal it from under the Pueblo shamans, sneak it out of the Ute Nation, and deliver it to a warehouse back in Seattle... They may want to negotiate the price a little higher. Following the yacht after the ritual maybe a safer option, but the bonus should be just enough to make them go for it.
Kremlin KOA
man Kanada, you and I might have to compile there intoa proposal to FanPro

that would mean the thor shot missed

I am gonna have a riverboat sequal made up tomorrow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012