Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: places for adventures
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
schmitzzy
what are some citys in North Americaa that might be a good place to put my adventures into and where can i find like streetmaps of there places
Would Chicago do? but i still want some sugjestions
mdynna
Seattle is the "default" location for Shadowrun adventures. The New Seattle sourcebook is (of course) great for that, but considering its impending replacement by Runner Havens I would wait to purchase it. Denver is still a good location for runners, as is Boston. You can find information on both in Target:UCAS (an old book) and Shadows of North America (more recent).

Alternate locations include Hong Kong (Shadows of Asia is good for this), and London (Shadows of Europe).
SL James
I don't know. If they never rebuilt the Shattergraves in Chicago, what the hell is the chance they're going to rebuild and restore order to the rest of the Containment Zone?

"None" is my answer. Otherwise, CP already had some interesting ideas for what they did after destroying Chicago in that game.
schmitzzy
ok i think i will use seattle for my first campaining and where can i find maps of 2070 seattle and other info like gangs in seattle and hot spots and a few premade runs that fallow a very short arc(like 3-4 sessions) or 3-4 runs that are 1 session each so if my players drop out i wont plan the 10 session arc and my palyrs dont like the game and drop out 2-3 sessions in the arc and when is runners heven coming out i know that will have some info would seattle sourcebook help?
mdynna
The New Seattle soucebook has dozens of small "plot hooks", they aren't full adventures but they should be enough to get you started. New Seattle also has some not-so-detailed maps of the various areas. I woudn't get too hung up on the little details ("How many blocks to 8th avenue?"). General descriptions should be good enough.

Also, the recently published adventure On the Run takes place in Seattle and "plugs in" to some of the pre-made locations from the sourcebook. The advantage there is it's a completely written adventure. Plus, if you buy the PDF its only $9.00!
stevebugge
I would suggest using your hometown to start, it's familiar and all you have to do is dirty it up a little, drop a big corporate presence in somewhere and go. Of course this probably means you have to adjust any premade adventures you buy and try to run but it's not that hard since all you have to change are locations.
SL James
QUOTE (mdynna)
Also, the recently published adventure On the Run takes place in Seattle and "plugs in" to some of the pre-made locations from the sourcebook. The advantage there is it's a completely written adventure. Plus, if you buy the PDF its only $9.00!

Oh, god. Did someone do the world a favor and burn Dante's to the ground already?
Geekkake
Ohio. Definitely Ohio.

God, I hate that place. If there was ever a dystopia in America today, that's it.
Geekkake
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (mdynna @ Apr 6 2006, 05:03 PM)
Also, the recently published adventure On the Run takes place in Seattle and "plugs in" to some of the pre-made locations from the sourcebook.  The advantage there is it's a completely written adventure.  Plus, if you buy the PDF its only $9.00!

Oh, god. Did someone do the world a favor and burn Dante's to the ground already?

Working on it.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Geekkake)
Ohio. Definitely Ohio.

God, I hate that place. If there was ever a dystopia in America today, that's it.

Are you an escapee? I just spent a week in Dayton visiting my fiancee's family. Dayton disn't seem that bad, but I'm not moving from Seattle that's for sure.
FanGirl
Oh please please pleeease set your campaign in Chicago!

It's my hometown, so I will always push for a campaign set there. Yeah, the Loop's a pile of wreckage, but you can still find the dregs of society living in that wreckage, in addition to a whole slew of bug spirits to make things interesting. Besides, there's more to Chicago than the Loop, and I'd imagine that the peripheral neighborhoods and suburbs have swelled considerably since the Sears Tower collapse. You could have your PCs living relatively safely in one of these peripheral areas and dashing in and out of the Loop whenever the job requires it. For example, my brand new technomancer grew up in Evanston, Illinois--just a stone's throw away from the Containment Zone, mind you--and was never in any real danger while living there. In fact, the only really major events in her otherwise sheltered childhood were 1) getting trapped in the Crash of '64 at age 13 and 2) leaving home at age 16 because her parents just didn't understand! Oh, the pain! The angst! The PAINFUL ANGST!!!!!
...But I digress. biggrin.gif

Anyway, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainry than the Seattle sprawl, but everyone and his brother sets their campaign there. I urge you, O my brothers, to have some guts and pick the City That Works for your campaign. I would, but I'm new to the shadows and couldn't possibly GM effectively...yet.
SL James
Oh, dear god...

There was also the matter of the CZ.

Plus, Evanston is a AAA-rated armed, walled camp completely run by Northwestern.
mintcar
Welcome to Dumpshock Fangirl smile.gif
SL James
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
FanGirl
QUOTE (SL James @ Apr 8 2006, 03:00 AM)
Oh, dear god...

There was also the matter of the CZ.

Plus, Evanston is a AAA-rated armed, walled camp completely run by Northwestern.

I did not know that, but I don't think I can be entirely blamed for my ignorance. I know Emo Samurai IRL and am actually joining the campaign he's planning. Because he's using information from the Bug City sourcebook, he won't let me look at said sourcebook, and therefore I must remain in the dark about exactly what state my hometown is in.

Speaking of Emo Samurai's campaign plans, I've promised myself that I won't look at his Dedicated Threads, so almost all of what I know about what's in store for me and my chummers is what he's told me in person. I wonder if I should start a diary on this forum, to chronicle my thoughts and experiences as Emo's plans unfold before me. You've already been privy to the rantings of a madman, so why not gain the perspective of one of his willing guinea pigs?

EDIT: Just to clarify: I did know about the CZ, and you can tell because I mentioned it in my first post. I did not know about Evanston. Perhaps I shall relocate my character to Rockford, the second largest city in Illinois, which is located a convenient two hours away from Chicago. My character's still in the tweaking phase, so I can afford to do make changes like that.
mintcar
Schmitzzy: There's a free alternative that I never tried out myself, but that's bound to be a damn good choice if you don't already have a bunch of adventure and sourcebooks: SR Missions. It's a campaign that's fully supported by Fanpro that they run on conventions and stuff like that, I gather. They've alreay rewritten it for SR4 and made a couple of adventures specificly for the new edition. It's set in Denver, and you can get all the info you need for free from different sources on the net.

Look here, for some general info, here for some adventures to download and here you download the Commando Quarterly issue that has the "Welcome to Denver!" article in it.

But as I said, I don't know anything about this other than that it exists, and that it may be worth checking out.
fistandantilus4.0
Welcome, here is your dikoted ally spirit (don't ask) and your complementary Drop Bear.

Please , take a "Bonecrown for President" button as well.

QUOTE (Fangirl)
wonder if I should start a diary on this forum, to chronicle my thoughts and experiences as Emo's plans unfold before me.

Yes please. If for no other reason than to see exactly where sanity ends and emo takes over. smile.gif
NightHaunter
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

QUOTE (Fangirl)
wonder if I should start a diary on this forum, to chronicle my thoughts and experiences as Emo's plans unfold before me.

Yes please. If for no other reason than to see exactly where sanity ends and emo takes over. smile.gif

Seconded.
Grinder
I suggest running a game in Miami - it is a hotspot for smugglers from the CL to CAS/ UCAS, as well as a major traffic hub (large ports and airports). And always good weather smile.gif
Bullet Raven
QUOTE (NightHaunter)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 8 2006, 09:49 AM)

QUOTE (Fangirl)

Seconded.

Thirded
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012