Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: guns and other connected items
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fool
So do I need to load up my smart gun with tons of ice so that some sneaky tech type doesn't hack into it and make the clip fall out?
in other words in a world of connectivity how importnant is it to secure your gear with ice and firewalls?
mfb
no. all you have to do is set your gun to use skinlink only. that way, all you have to load up with IC is your commlink. if you'e got smartlink cyberware, you don't even need a skinlink.
mintcar
Also, the hacker would have to be sneaky in more than one way to pull this off if you have your smartgun wirelessly connected. The signal rating only has to allow for a range that facilitates the needs of the device. In the case of smartguns I'm guessing that's not very far.

It's also debatable if you even can hack a smartgun without going through the commlink if the device is subscribed, but that discussion is being (has been?) held elsewere.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (mintcar)
Also, the hacker would have to be sneaky in more than one way to pull this off if you have your smartgun wirelessly connected. The signal rating only has to allow for a range that facilitates the needs of the device. In the case of smartguns I'm guessing that's not very far.

It's also debatable if you even can hack a smartgun without going through the commlink if the device is subscribed, but that discussion is being (has been?) held elsewere.

Wouln't hacking a smartgun be just like hacking any other wireless device? Find the signal, decrypt the data and spoof commands to it?
Ravor
QUOTE (mfb)
no. all you have to do is set your gun to use skinlink only. that way, all you have to load up with IC is your commlink. if you'e got smartlink cyberware, you don't even need a skinlink.

Its my understanding that 4th Edition smartlinks no longer come with the sub-dermal pads, so I think you'd still need a skinlink or go wireless. (Personally my character puts skinlink on everything, although my group is one of those that allows skinlink to work through clothes, ect...)
Voran
After mulling over skin links, I was thinking it wouldn't be too much of a deal to make gloves that were acted as the old fashioned pads, but allowed transmission through skinlink. I mean if stuff is good enough in 2070 that you can even skinlink stuff, surely you can make shooter gloves that let you cover your hands and get the same benefit. Or do guys in security armor hardlink their guns?
mdynna
Skinlink doesn't have to be used.

Any device on your PAN can be configured to communicate only with your Commlink's Access ID. Therefore, forcing someone to Hack your Commlink and communicate "through" it in order to mess up your smartgun.

On that same vein, every Commlink in your group can be configured to use your team's Hacker/TM's Commlink as the "access point" or "router". This adds another layer as any intruding Hacker must first make it through that Commlink first.

IMO, all Skinlink gives you is immunity to electronic jamming.
mfb
odd. it doesn't actually say, in the equipment descriptions, how a smartgun communicates with its user. given the fact that smartlink cyberware is now an eye mod, i'd guess that you're correct. crazy.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (mfb)
odd. it doesn't actually say, in the equipment descriptions, how a smartgun communicates with its user. given the fact that smartlink cyberware is now an eye mod, i'd guess that you're correct. crazy.

Yeah I'm finding the general terms are confusing me at times about how the new stuff works since I've no prior versions to lean on. But SR4 does mention that all wireless things can talk to each other, and you can control who or what they talk to. Like slaving your smartgun to your commlink, or linking all your teammates comminks through the hacker's, etc.

I can see making all your devices talk only to your comlink, SR4 specifically mentions this a few times. But you can hack a signal and spoof commands to it right?
Halabis
Yes, even if the gun is subscribed to the comlink only a hacker can still spoof commands to it as if he were that comlink. The flaw with this is you have to be within its signal (0) range to do so.
neko128
QUOTE (mdynna)
Skinlink doesn't have to be used.

Any device on your PAN can be configured to communicate only with your Commlink's Access ID. Therefore, forcing someone to Hack your Commlink and communicate "through" it in order to mess up your smartgun.

On that same vein, every Commlink in your group can be configured to use your team's Hacker/TM's Commlink as the "access point" or "router". This adds another layer as any intruding Hacker must first make it through that Commlink first.

IMO, all Skinlink gives you is immunity to electronic jamming.

If it's wireless, it's subject to wireless spoofing and then hacking. Subscription lists (what you're talking about) don't matter.

Skinlink the way people ont his board recommend it, though, is massively over-powered. It's NEVER going to be that absurdly powerful in my campaigns.
Voran
I'm curious why you think skinlinks are too powerful? It just seems a more powerful version of the old fashioned pads to me. Kinda cheesy, but given the other jumps in tech for all the other stuff in SR4, it didn't seem too bad to me.
Butterblume
I allow my players to use the old subdermal pads. After all, why wouldn't they exist anymore? Oddly, none of my players actually has one.

In SR3, my char used a fiberoptic cable to connect the gun to the datajack.
Style over Substance cool.gif.
Edward
I don’t see skinlink hacking protection to be over powered.

Further if skin link cant do that then what is it good for.

Edward
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (Edward)
I don’t see skinlink hacking protection to be over powered.

Further if skin link cant do that then what is it good for.

Edward

I concur, however there are a few theoretically possible ways of getting around skin link. One example would be a signal booter with the skinlink mod ninjad onto an unsuspecting street sam's back by a stealthed up phys ad.

The comedy potetnial of this is too good for it not to work.

cool.gif GM: Ok, Make a perception + search roll, - 6 dice.

cyber.gif Street sam: err, 1 success

GM: fair enough, now make a computer + scan check

Street sam: err, scan? can I default?

GM: Sure

Street sam: errm, 1 success

GM: cool. About 30 seconds later a rather goofy looking kid followed by a couple of attack drones walks round the corner and requests your surrender.

Street sam: I shoot him

GM: sure, make a shoot him check

Street sam: heh heh, 7 successes

GM: Your gun makes an impressive clicking sound

Street sam: uh oh.

GM: It's the attack drones' turns

Street sam: I hide

GM: They find you...

...so do the other indirect firing drones..

...And the lone star cops your commlink has been spamming snuff movies to...

...And the samurai cats pizza place with your delivery of 12 extra large anchovy and pineapple pizzas...

cyber.gif frown.gif

cool.gif rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012