Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: opinion on running the game in the CSA
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sadistic fixer
I was wonder would this be a good idea I mean I know the area better than I know any of the USCA. has anyone set there games there and what changes would need to be made to this. thanks and I'm sorry if this has been on here before.
arcady
There is at least one guide to North America out there - very old, but out there, and I'm sure another must have come out since that one. Whatever is the newest of such, get it.

The only real problem would probably be player expectations. You and your players have certain assumptions about what is where and who is who where you live, and when you change it, or when you miss a detail one of your players knows, you always risk upsetting their sense of involvment. That concern exists any time you do a game of any genre set somewhere you or your players know very well.

Some things to consider is that given the map of 2050, it is likely much of your chosen region is more hispanic than anglo - and probably double or triple the present real world number of people have Spanish as the native language regardless of their race or ethnicity. This would be not only a continuation of what is happening today, but sped up by the nature of Aztlan and the back and forth of territories in North America resulting in refugee influx.
Valentinew
That's a great idea! Especially if that's the area you live now. I agree with arcady, you'll want to at least look at the Sourcebooks that have come out on North America. IIRC, you want to look at The Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America & Shadows of North America.

Where are you running out of? I could look up stuff in my books & let you know if either of these books will help you much.

Alternatively, you could just update your hometown yourself (see Kansas City 2070 for example).
fool
Shadows of north america has a pretty comlete description of the cas.
Two difficulties I would foresee with it is that the cas is rather racist against metahumans certainly not as bad as japan or alot of other places and not as bad as it was against black people in the early part of the 20 century but still a LOT less racially tolerant than seattle. They especially don't like orcs and trolls (2 of my favorite meta types.)
The second is that magic is more striuctly controlled... of course shadow runners are hardened criminals so they don't care about licenses and the such. but locals are going to freak out about magic more.
sadistic fixer
the state its going to be in is Georgia and thanks for the information
Grinder
Threats 2 iirc has a nice chapter about a conpiracy to restore the old USA. These group is very strong in CAS, so maybe you check the book too.
fool
threats one has nice info on human nation and other racist groups as does loose alliances
Waltermandias
Two words on why a CSA game could be really cool: Confederate Disneyworld. We just had a run there and hearing the straight laced Johnson say "We're sending your team to the Happiest Place on Earth" just made my day.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Waltermandias)
Two words on why a CSA game could be really cool:  Confederate Disneyworld.  We just had a run there and hearing the straight laced Johnson say "We're sending your team to the Happiest Place on Earth" just made my day.

...I can see it now

the Dukes of Hazzard AR Experience. ".Yes you too can perform death defying stunts in the General Lee while out running ol Boss Hogg and Enos with sweet Daisy at your side"

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012