Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Analyse Device
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
UndeadPoet
Hi there, ladies and gentlemen.

I recently found out about the Analyse Device spell.
Long story short, it grants you bonus die equal to the spell's net successes for skill tests involving certain devices.
Now, what is a device? Is a spear a device? It makes life easier, hunting animals for food and hated humans for vengeance. Should be a device, then.
Is a car a device? Should be, as well.
Is a firearm a device? Most obviously.
Easy way for a mage to get some boni for non-magic tasks, since many skills do involve devices.

Not that I would not expect that spell from the third edition which lowered your target number for ranged attacks(When trenslating the german wording, it should be something like Targetfinder) return in the Streetmagic book, which surely will now provide you with bonus die, as well.
But should Analyse Device not only work for devices which you are totally unfamiliar with?

Nothing hinders Karl Combatmage from summoning a force 6 spirit of men, binding it to him and then ordering him to use Increased Attribute(Dexterity) and Analyse Device on him(both possible by the Innate Spell ability).
Throwing some edge in, he gets his agility to 9(+ if he is an elf) and up to +8 bonus die for every skill test involving devices.
That alone is 17 die for firearms(he does not get penalty for defaulting smile.gif). Maybe he has never seen one in his life before, picks it up, and hits the targets better than Sammy Samurai, who has spent half his life training his skills on the gun.

Well, that's it. Hell, what is a device?
fool
In sr 3 they specifically said that guns and weapons in generaly were not included.
Query.. doesn't innate spell mean that the critter has a specific innate spell, usually though not often an elemental combat spell?
BaronSameday
Have you not got over come the basic resistance of the object....

So guns etc would be 2-3 dice.

Still leaves you a good pile of dice.
James McMurray
If it doesn't have a device rating, I would think twice about allowing analyze device to help with it.
mintcar
I would call any systematic use of this spell abusive. I think it's supposed to help mages use devices they are not familiar with.
UndeadPoet
In sr 3 they specifically said that guns and weapons in generaly were not included.

That's some good news.
Query.. doesn't innate spell mean that the critter has a specific innate spell, usually though not often an elemental combat spell?

In case of critters, yes. In case of spirits, they can "learn" any spell their summoner knows, one per 3 force points they have.

Have you not got over come the basic resistance of the object....

So guns etc would be 2-3 dice.

I did. Binding a force 6 spirit which casts analyse device on force 12 isn't the problem, and with use of edge it might go up to 12 successes(that is why I wrote up to +8, -4 for basic resistance).

If it doesn't have a device rating, I would think twice about allowing analyze device to help with it.

Good point.

I would call any systematic use of this spell abusive. I think it's supposed to help mages use devices they are not familiar with.

Systematic use? Letting a bound spirit sustain the spell on you for your whole life is the least systematic it can get. spin.gif
mdynna
QUOTE (fool @ Apr 10 2006, 04:08 PM)

They've actually changed and clarified the whole "Innate Spell" system for critters and such. Critters with an innate ability no longer have the Innate Spell Power. Specifically, in the case of an attack, the Power is now called "Elemental Attack". See the Hellhound, for an example. Even the Spirit of Fire doesn't have Innate Spell: Flamethrower (like in SR3) it has Elemental Attack.

What Innate Spell means now is "this critter actually casts this spell." Elemental Attacks (true "innate powers) cannot be Counterspelled, but Innate Spells can. The Hellhound is not "casting" Flamethrower it is simply "breathing fire."

(Side note): I haven't seen it mentioned much but I think one of the best improvements in SR4 was the clarification of Critters and the Critter combat system. In SR3 I could never remember how it worked (they attack with Quickness I think... no wait, this is a power so you they use.... Essense?). Things are much now that they have just given Critters "skills".
tisoz
QUOTE (fool)

proof.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012