Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intercepting Wireless Signals
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
In SR3 you needed fairly specific equipment to eavesdrop on radio communications, nowadays in SR4 anyone can do it, and it opens up to a lot of possibilities.

Intercepting Wireless Signals

Wireless traffic is broadcast through the air, so anyone within range of a signal can pick it up, whether they are connected to the transmitting party or not. Thus you can eavesdrop on the wireless connections of anyone whose Signal range reaches you. This makes it possible for you to even intercept traffic within a specific network—such as the PAN traffic between Mr.Johnson’s commlink and other devices on his network.

To perform an Intercept Wireless Signal action, make an
Electronic Warfare + Sniffer (3) Test. Once the signal is intercepted, you can monitor the traffic and even copy/record/forward it without making any more Intercept Wireless Signal actions. If you want to block out some parts of the traffic or add in your own, you must make an Edit action.
There is no way to detect interception of a wireless signal. Note that wireless communications are usually encrypted, so you’ll need to decrypt the signal before you can intercept or capture the traffic.

Want to listen in on a cops conversation? Just locate his wireless signal and sniff the connection with no chance of being detected. Wanna tap in on the police radion on a patrol car in the area? Just find the signal (decrypt it) and tap it.

Tap a Johnsons commlink (decrypt) and record anything during a meet. NOTE: Radio silence during a meet, the Johnson could pull the same trick on you (which probably mean that you can’t record that much from him).

When you have managed to tap the signal you can do a lot of fun editing the information passing between them.

-Give a patrol officer the wrong address
-Insert files for the Johnson giving him false information (If you are so inclined)
-Edit orders for a drone (without having to spoof command)

And lots more…
Just Pete
A few problems with this:

1) Intercepting a wireless signal does not mean that you have access to the devices that are transmitting or receiving that signal.

2) It also does not mean 'blocking' that signal.

3) Short of successfully spoofing your own signal, you will not be on the subscriber list for the officer's radio, the Johnson's PAN, or those drones you're trying to redirect.

Intercepting a signal is just, literally, eavesdropping.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Just Pete)
A few problems with this:

1) Intercepting a wireless signal does not mean that you have access to the devices that are transmitting or receiving that signal.

2) It also does not mean 'blocking' that signal.

3) Short of successfully spoofing your own signal, you will not be on the subscriber list for the officer's radio, the Johnson's PAN, or those drones you're trying to redirect.

Intercepting a signal is just, literally, eavesdropping.

No, you misunderstand. I tap the signal with a Hacking+Sniffer (3) test after finding it. I decrypt it and then I EDIT the information that is sent from (for example) a persona to its drone. It clearly states that I can edit the information between two sources (this would require a Hacking+Edit test). This means I can edit commands sent from a user to a drone and give it new orders since I basically feed it false information.

Themain difference between spoofing and tapping the signal is time. It takes longer to tap the signal than to brute force your way to get the drone to do your bidding.

1. FIND the signal
2. DECRYPT the signal
3. TAP the signal
4. EDIT the signal

Unlike spoofing:
1. Observe Persona
2. Spoof Command

The main difference is time and would probably not be possible in combat, nor would it work if you try it more than your signal strength can reach since you must then do it from a node, and that action can be traced/found/stopped.
inquisitor_bob
Even in RL today Wireless signals can be easily intercepted. The encryption algorithm currently is a 40-bit based system. This means wireless signals can be easily hacked.

Another trouble spot for wireless system today is that anyone can set up a WAP and hack into the network.

That's why you don't see many wireless network running all over the place.
mfb
If you want to block out some parts of the traffic or add in your own, you must make an Edit action.

anybody else think this is kinda odd? i mean, how the heck does that work? the way Matrix 2.0 works, the receiver is probably accepting signal from multiple sources by the time the message reaches him. are you somehow editing them all, simultaneously? and how are you supposed to change what someone's saying as they say it? i would, personally, only allow someone to make specific, pre-planned changes--"any use of the phrase '123 Sesame Street' will be changed to '224 Sesame Street'", for instance. sort of an on-the-fly global find-and-replace. but even that assumes you find a way to address the first issue i brought up.
hobgoblin
maybe you alter the timestamp of the transmission and put in a "forget the last transmission, this is your orders" kinda thing in there wink.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
maybe you alter the timestamp of the transmission and put in a "forget the last transmission, this is your orders" kinda thing in there wink.gif

You could also have a library of prepared commands for drones like…

Change subscription to (ID) commlink.
Unload program (name/all)
Open fire on everything coloured green
Hunt squirrels (with extreme prejudice) grinbig.gif

Etc…
mdynna
I agree with mfb. The amount of alterations you should be able to perform on a signal should be very limited. You have to alter the signal before it reaches its destination, and EM waves move pretty darn fast. I would say you have time for one edit operation, so you would be limited to the description of the Edit operation in the sort of changes you can make. Also, you should have to make a Spoof test every time you make a change. Fail (or glitch) even once and the faulty command will be detected.

Basically, if you really want to mess with someone's network, you have to Hack in. As a final note, whenever one of my PC's starts to get out of hand with an idea like this (and how "awesome" and "unbeatable" it is) I usually (gently) remind him that enemy Hackers can do the same. Usually PC don't like the idea of their own techniques turned on them.
hobgoblin
i think its mostly used for dealing with stuff like devices on a persons PAN.

ie, editing the smartlink traffic so that the crosshair turn into a big black square or something similar. basicly its mostly prankster stuff.

want to take on drones and other stuff, break out the spoof program.
GrinderTheTroll
So in reality, when you sniff traffic (wired or wireless) it's not to make "on-the-fly" changes, but to capture and study to data for things like passwords or other juicy bits of data.

To perform "real-time" editing (even in 2070), i'd wager you'd need to have something on-hand to insert into the data stream since you aren't stopping the original signal but tagging onto it.

Without the ability intercept the original signal and "spoof" a new signal to the intended receiver and preventing them from indeed receiving the original message, I don't see how you could do more than insert new content or just tweak it after some amount of analysis.
hobgoblin
more or less. if you want to block a signal, you sniff its package number, and then forge a package that tells the system to disregard that other package.

in a mesh network you can have the experience that a older package arrive after a more recent one (you can allso do so on the internet, but its rare).
bustedkarma
The Drone:
Couldn't you just hack the drone outright? Assuming that the random security drone is operating on a network full of other drones, and there is a very bored spider in the control room, it's got some sort of scripted routine running.

Patrol between A and B.
Monitor IR and Lowlight Spectrums
If you see anything without the company tags, wake me up.

...at which point the sleepy spider takes the helm, and goes and checks it out.
Instead of pirating the signal between control and the drone, wouldn't it be more feasible to hack the drone, and rewrite it's script, or something like that?

Same thing with the Star calling HQ. Instead of editing his transmission, wouldn't it just be easier to subscribe his porky ass to a phantom network, or take him offline entirely.

Not to say your theory is unsound Jopp, because I think it makes sense. I just think you maybe able to get better results by sniffing the airwaves, and hitting the device direct, than trying to intercept and redirect the signal once it's "in the air".

PH3NOmenon
QUOTE (The Jopp)

Intercepting Wireless Signals

<snip>

If you want to block out some parts of the traffic or add in your own, you must make an Edit action.

Am I the only one who read that entirely different? I thought it'd just meant that if you didn't want to use the received data (whatever it is) "as is" you'd have to edit it using the edit action.

Meaning, if you intercept the transmission of an active drone, and you'd want to share it with your chummers, you either make an edit test to filter out everything BUT the video feed of its sensors (for example) or send them every imaginable piece of telemetry and data the drone is blurting out onto the wireless net...

Nowhere in my mind did that piece of RAW tell you you could use this as a discount spoof...

then again, my interpretation of the RAW changes more than my underwear does, so ymmv.
hobgoblin
hmm, your right. it can be read that way to. ouch...
bustedkarma
@PH3

I see what your saying.
If you wanna grab ahold of that drones signal, the signal that is meant for whoever is controlling it, WITHOUT making an attempt at filtering the data, your gonna get a stream of stuff you don't need.

You wanna see what his IR camera see's, not all that OTHER relativley useless stream of data thats packed around it.

Hence the edit check?

Am I reading you right?
PH3NOmenon
QUOTE (bustedkarma @ Apr 11 2006, 05:17 PM)
@PH3

You wanna see what his IR camera see's, not all that OTHER relativley useless stream of data thats packed around it.

Hence the edit check?

Am I reading you right?

you're reading me right, yup.

Whether or not we're reading the RAW right, that's a judgement call i suppose.

[edit]In game terms, you could handle it like this:

If you want to use the received data for anything, you need an edit test to see if you can filter out the data you want. If you just want to record the data for storage and later use, no edit check is needed, and you're golden with just the Warfare + Sniffer test, storage is unlimited anyways.[/edit]
mfb
that would make a lot more sense. i would suggest a clarification in the official rules that make it clear that you can't use it to spoof stuff.
Ranneko
The only way I could see editing the transmission on the fly working would be something like causing an error, and then beating the real sender on a resend.

But I prefer the edit check to filter out unrelated info.
mfb
given how fast the whole transmission process takes place, i'm not even sure i'd allow that. maybe a very specific setup where you set up a jammer and then send out falsified data--basically, breaking contact between sender and recipient completely, then making up what you want the recipient to hear. you'd have to make the faked data realistically patchy, to simulate data that has somehow managed to push through the jamming field intact. that's not really what the text describes, though.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PH3NOmenon)
Am I the only one who read that entirely different? I thought it'd just meant that if you didn't want to use the received data (whatever it is) "as is" you'd have to edit it using the edit action.

Seems you are - that's what Sniffer does. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012