Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEW GM matrix Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
schmitzzy
What is the matrix what does it look like in VR and in AR. This i really want to know because i A. visualize everything and B. i might want to make a Shadowrun animation with my friends. This is the one thing i have wanted to know since i read about the wireless world section in SR4. Just try to give a lot of details in your answer i LOVE lots of details.

and for all who will answer thanks! biggrin.gif
stevebugge
If you can get hold of the original Seattle Sourcebook, there is an actual color illustration of a Seattle Matrix tour. Lots of older (first and second edition) books have series of color illustration pages in them. Virtual Realities and Target Matrix have good descriptions too. Generally the matrix looks like whatever the host's programmers want it to, though it will be a digital rendering (though a highend host could be very lifelike). In lower budget hosts they may still use the old Uniform Matrix Construct symbology: Processing Cores are Hexagonal Prisms, Data Stores are Cubes, Devices are Pyramids, etc. A persona can look like just about anything the programmer wants, and IC likewise.
Brahm
For $5 or less you should be able to find a paperback of Neuromancer, a book by William Gibson written in 1986 I think. It has been reprinted a number of times so if your big chain store doesn't have a copy they should be able to order in really quick.

That is what a lot of the Shadowrun is originally rippe--, er based on. Including the bizzaro Flechette ammo rules. Keep in mind though that that VR vision was concieved 20 years ago, and by a man of dubious technological pedigree. So it wouldn't be unreasonable to have a bit more detail show up in the look of Matrix objects beyond just basic geometric solids of homogeneous color. Also go down to your FLGS and look at the cover of System Failure. That picture there is something you see inside the Matrix. Specifically the trading floor of the Boston stock exchange as all digital hell is breaking loose and people, and the Matrix itself, are dying right before your eyes.

You can also skin your VR view with your own selected metaphor. That is what the Reality Filter does. This changes how matrix objects appear to you based on, roughly speaking, what it matches up to in the Reality Filter template.

AR is a simple overlay HUD. Check out the cover in front of the pygmy B-Baller for one artists rendition of what you'd see if you could see what the user sees.
captainwhizz
I kind of imagine AR appearing in a Runner's eyes/ glasses/ goggles as a HUD-version of Windows. Little boxes and icons popping up; as has been said, interface icons, styles, etc. can be defined by the individual, but other things will be pop up ads for stuff the runner's walking past, like a shop.
James McMurray
That's my vision of AR as well, but without a reality filter your icons could be pretty freaky. For instance, in On The Run there is a hacker bar decorated in ancient tech and the AR aspect of it has lots of eyeballs on stalks.
schmitzzy
OK i got an idea of what AR is and kinda was VR is what to know is are the "streets" in the Matrix is it "3D" and if you can give me an example of 1 or two things that you have done in a gae you have been part of if goy may
James McMurray
There probably aren't a lot of streets in the amtrix, at least not between nodes, since you rarely ever actually walk anywhere (although that might be a decent theme for a search engine website's "find a random site" link).

The matrix is most definitely 3D. Given the capabilties of graphics engines today, it's probably safe to assume it's incredibly realistic as well, at least in those nodes where realism is desired. for true to life realism you have to go to a majorly cutting edge node though (ultraviolet level maybe?).
schmitzzy
a node is like its own small world on itself and it can be designed anyway the person wants basically and you just "jump" from node to node so to say so if i had a node that was a store front type of place i could make it look like a store front as the visuals if i wanted and what does a "link" look like is it a door something i can just imagen my store front node right now
FanGirl
Man, schmidtzzy, your posts are really hard to read! You might want to consider using Spell Check, or at least using more punctutation.

There's something about the Matrix that I've been wondering about for a little while: specifically, the Crash 2.0. What was it like for the people trapped in the Matrix during the Crash? The most I can find about the Crash is what SR4 has to say about it:
All over the world, thousands of people found their consciousnesses trapped within the Matrix at the height of the Crash, some of them surviving there for hours or even days.  Many died from lethal biofeedback stress, but many others survived ... only realizing later that their minds were fundamentally changed.
--SR4E, p. 232

It doesn't describe the actual experience that these people had. I'd imagine that you'd see and hear many strange things in a crashed Matrix, and that these things would have a major impact on the way you looked at the world from then on, but nobody seems to mention them. Is that because the event was so traumatic that they have no memory of it, or what?
nick012000
If memory serves, the answer to that question is "Yes". wink.gif
FanGirl
So, basically all you'd remember is that one minute you were surfing along contentedly, and then realized all of a sudden your deck wasn't working, you had a splitting headache, and your loved ones were standing around you saying "You're alive!" Am I correct? I'm playing a TM, so this is extremely important for backstory purposes.
Ophis
Thats the basic I would suggest. If you want to have had a weird virtual out of body experience I'd go for it, maybe you met the Llama who guided you back to your body...
FanGirl
No, I think I'll go for plain old lost time. I think that's actually even scarier than any of the bizarre or horrid things I could think up: you can't make sense of what happened to you if you don't remember it happening.
schmitzzy
well that was a fun conversation and i liked it a lot but could anyone give me a little more info about the looks and movement throughout the matrix would be nice i am so intrigued by it.

-- again sorry for the lack of puncuation(i have no idea how to spell this spell check didn't work like . ? ! ect.) i never type with puncuation that makes it hard for me to write school papers but anyway sorry if it is hard for you to read and i don't use capital letters much in my typing
FanGirl
You could try typing your posts out in a Word document and set Spellcheck to check grammar; that should help with your punctuation problems. Anyway, this is a picture from the 4th edition sourcebook that shows an example of the AR interface (EDIT: imagine it without the green border). Also, this is what the sourcebook has to say about VR perception:
In VR, you become your persona icon [avatar]. . . . you "exist" wherever your persona is within the Matrix.  You'll start off in the virtual representation of your own commlink/terminal and from there "move" to other nodes.  Physical distance is meaningless within the Matrix--it's all a matter of commline connections, available memory, switching systems, and transmission rates, not actual meters and kilometers.  Getting to a node on the other side of the world is an instantaneous affair.
The simsense signal from the sim module translates the complex code structures of the actual Matrix into graphical icons and other sensory data (including emotions).  Every object you see in full VR is an icon.  These icons represent programs, devices, systems, and other users.  Everything experienced in full VR is a symbolic representation. . . .
The virtual landscape can be anything the programmer wants it to be.  While certain systems usually have their iconography based on a specific metaphor (a medieval castle, for example, where background programs appear as serfs, IC appears as guardian knights, and the email server is represented by a falconer whose raptors send and recieve messages), it is also possibly [sic] for the user to establish his own "reality filter" and to experience the data in whatever way he sees fit.
--Shadowrun Fourth Edition, p. 229

To sum, moving through the VR Matrix is like moving your character through a computer game, only you are your character.
James McMurray
You'll likely find that using punctuation and capitalization is more likely to get you responses. People tend to stop reading things they can't comprehend.
nick012000
That, and poorly written posts make you look stupid.
FanGirl
I bet he's a visual thinker: it's probably easier for him to express himself through pictures than through text. That's why I posted the AR picture. However, VR can literally look like anything, so there's no truly representative picture that I could post.
James McMurray
I tried to avoid that particular line of thought, but it's true. smile.gif

Also, if someone tells you that your post is hard to read and your response is "too bad, I don't do that," you're likely to turn a bunch of otherwise really helpful people away.
Dranem
QUOTE (FanGirl)
So, basically all you'd remember is that one minute you were surfing along contentedly, and then realized all of a sudden your deck wasn't working, you had a splitting headache, and your loved ones were standing around you saying "You're alive!" Am I correct? I'm playing a TM, so this is extremely important for backstory purposes.

I play a Technomancer that used to be Otaku. When the Matrix Crashed she got lost in a black void. There was nothing in the void, no soud, no light, no icons, no datapaths, just... nothing.

That alone is scarry, even more so to a kid!
FanGirl
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 11 2006, 09:36 PM)
Also, if someone tells you that your post is hard to read and your response is "too bad, I don't do that," you're likely to turn a bunch of otherwise really helpful people away.

Quoted for emphasis. People on Internet message boards won't usually hate you for making one little typo in an otherwise flawless post, but you should at least show that you're trying. No matter how smart and thorough you really are, people will see you as lazy and stupid if you don't make an effort to write something readable.

EDIT: If you still don't think you should try to fix your punctuation, then please read this essay.
Azralon
QUOTE (schmitzzy)
What is the matrix

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.

(Had to be said.)
Aaron
Y'know, I'm unconvinced that the Matrix, outside of a node, looks like it did before the Crash 2.0. Back then, everything was hardwired, and so the Renraku Pyramid was always next to, say, Bernie's Foot-Long Dragon Sauce Hot Dog Stand. In 2070, this isn't always true any more, since all of the data paths are dynamic. Any device can act as a router, and most of those devices are mobile. You kinda lose any sense of geography without a static topology. Likely as not, the landscape in VR looks like a huge sea of nodes and icons, moving and swirling about, with a few "islands" in the motion.
James McMurray
Just because the pyramid was next to the hot dog stand online doesn't mean you ever saw the hot dog stand when you went to the pyramid (unless the guy paid Renraku to advertise).
Azralon
For whatever technical reason, each Matrix node (directly or indirectly) keeps track of its GPS coordinates. This is evidenced by the use of the Track action in the Matrix. It probably has to do with efficient mesh traffic routing.

So I assume that the "geography" of the Matrix is spatially coterminous (it overlaps) with the real world. That is to say, I can physically walk over to the soda machine to see its Signal 0 node in AR because my comm and the soda machine recognize that we're right next to each other. Each node is aware of its real-world XYZ coordinates so can use that data to create a Matrix geography.

However, I can likewise call up a remote window to the enmeshed soda machine from a block away. At that point, I suppose a copy of my persona appears "next" to the soda machine without me having to physically be there. If I'm fully VR, I'm guessing the same thing happens. Copies of my persona exist everywhere that I'm currently accessing, and my point of view can "instantly" shift between those telelocations.

Anyway, the upshot of that is AR ends up being more like astral perception and VR like astral projection. Only, you can effectively be in multiple places at once.
James McMurray
QUOTE (FanGirl)
EDIT: If you still don't think you should try to fix your punctuation, then please read this essay.

Thanks for the link! I've been laughing all afternoon and I think I'm in love. But I won't email that to her, because she'll probably post it online and call me ignorant. wink.gif
schmitzzy
Thanks i think i am understanding how the matrix works and looks like. If you still have examples feel free to post some more. I am trying to to use punctuation and capitalization now. Tell me if it is easier to read. I read that essay and it did enlighten me to use correct grammar. Thanks for the tip. biggrin.gif
bustedkarma
QUOTE (Azralon)
Copies of my persona exist everywhere that I'm currently accessing, and my point of view can "instantly" shift between those telelocations.

They talk about multiple personas in SR4. Basically, you can access as many nodes (simultaneously) as your.....Systemx2 maybe? Anyway, the blurb implies that you can
alt-tab between nodes as you like, but every open "window" has your persona in it. It also goes on to talk about the evils of being attacked while your alt-tabbed, and even the possibility of having multiple personas attacked at the same time.

Imagine hacking the hell outta some data node, trying to pirate exam answers off WSU.EDU network, downloading the pr0n all at the sametime. Then, out of nowhere, the ICE starts to fall, what do you do?

WHAT DO YOU DO!?!?

The choices the hacker has to make....mind blowing.
Moon-Hawk
Thanks schmitzzy; much easier to read. I think you'll see a favorable response from Dumpshock.
James McMurray
As a thank you for the newfound writing style... wink.gif

Every company should have an idea of what it's "website" will look like. For dumpshock it would probably involve something shadowrun related. You could slink down the hallways looking for a run somebody already wrote, then when you find the one you want, you manabolt it to signal it's ready for download. What you've actually done was run a browse program provided by DS and then double clicked the icon.

Basically it's all in the presentation. and don't be afraid to have some truly horrifc places out there. I'm thinking of a mom and pop butcher store who can't afford a web designer, but their son is taking a class and thought it would be funny to have the "slaughter house" be an actual slaughterhouse, where the customers can go and watch their cows get ground up.
FanGirl
Thanks much, schimtzzy! I feel like we've made a positive difference. biggrin.gif
schmitzzy
And i would agree with you too thanks FanGirl you helped change me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012