Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers and AR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Protagonist
Hi everyone! (first post eek.gif )

Anyway, I recently picked up a copy of SR4, and was curious how Technomancers interacted with AR (I couldn't find it in the corebook; if it's there and I missed it, please point me in the right direction smile.gif )

Can they interact with it like everyone else as if they had the full equipment to do so? (e.x. like someone with a commlink, AR gloves, etc.).

Also, how do technomancers work with subscriber lists? Do they need a commlink to do so, or can they create a sort of mental link with the program?
Cold-Dragon
Technomancers wold be aware of the existance of AR stuff methinks, but without a commlink at the very least, they couldn't interact with it so much (I think). I was fuzzier on that part of the book. I would suspect you could use your Innate programs to interact to some extent....

wait for a better Technomancer. -_-
nick012000
Yes, technomancers can interact with AR. For all intents and purposes, count them as having a commlink with a HotSim modified sim module.
Dranem
The biggest differences that technomancers have over your average computer user is that:
1) They don't have a commcode - you can't just call your friendly technomancer. Most technomancers would keep MatrixMail (webmail) accounts for messages and mine lurks on a couple of chat sites for interactive conversation.
2) They're persona and their meat share the same damage boxes, so technomancers are exceptionally prone to IC attacks.
3) Technomancers don't need control rigs to access drones, they feel the wireless dataflow, see machine interfaces (as long as they're wireless), and can find nodes be merely thinking of them.
4) Technomancers have no form of physical storage. You can't hack a techno's memory, they don't have a signal that's easy to track to hack their PAN, and anything they want to download needs to be put to an external device - hence some technomancers might carry around commlinks for ease of storage, else they need to copy the data to chips or drones they control.

Think that covers the big factors...
Protagonist
QUOTE (Dranem)
The biggest differences that technomancers have over your average computer user is that:
1) They don't have a commcode - you can't just call your friendly technomancer. Most technomancers would keep MatrixMail (webmail) accounts for messages and mine lurks on a couple of chat sites for interactive conversation.
2) They're persona and their meat share the same damage boxes, so technomancers are exceptionally prone to IC attacks.
3) Technomancers don't need control rigs to access drones, they feel the wireless dataflow, see machine interfaces (as long as they're wireless), and can find nodes be merely thinking of them.
4) Technomancers have no form of physical storage. You can't hack a techno's memory, they don't have a signal that's easy to track to hack their PAN, and anything they want to download needs to be put to an external device - hence some technomancers might carry around commlinks for ease of storage, else they need to copy the data to chips or drones they control.

Think that covers the big factors...

Yeah, most of that is in the text wink.gif

Yes, technomancers can interact with AR. For all intents and purposes, count them as having a commlink with a HotSim modified sim module.

Ok. So how then do they then interact with subscriber lists? Can they only add themselves on temporarily while they're within signal range unless they have a commlink they can route it through?
Glayvin34
It is kinda wierd that TMs have no commcodes but they can be part of subscriber lists, and have their own, for that matter. We decided that for our game purposes, the Living Persona is either spoofing a commcode or making one up that it uses to talk to that node. It affords TMs a high degree of security automatically, but that's nothing a normal Hacker can't pull off with a few hardware and/or software tests.
Does that make any sense?
Azralon
QUOTE (Dranem @ Apr 12 2006, 11:32 PM)
1) They don't have a commcode - you can't just call your friendly technomancer.

Could I get a page reference for that? It would be a key point.
Dashifen
I run TMs as if they are a commlink, commcode and all. The only difference is that the commcode is considered spoofed. As for how do they interact with AR, I'd say that AR is their world, they interact within regardles of the technological crap that people say you need (i.e. AR Gloves) but that's because I love TMs and think everyone should play them. I'll go sit in my corner now.
Protagonist
QUOTE ("Azralon")

QUOTE ("Dranem")
1) They don't have a commcode - you can't just call your friendly technomancer.
Could I get a page reference for that? It would be a key point.

Commcodes are provided by Service Providers, aren't they? (or at least registered with them) So if the technomancer doesn't have one, he'd have to spoof one. But if the living persona somehow has one built in, would you have to get it registered for legal matrix access? I can't find a page number saying they have one or not . . .

QUOTE (Glayvin34)
but they can be part of subscriber lists, and have their own, for that matter.

The only part of subscriber lists I can find is in the Living Persona referencing back to the normal persona. Wouldn't they only be able to be a part of a subscriber list while actively spoofing a commcode (assuming they don't have their own), primarly because since they have no actual memory storage, the list wouldn't be able to find them as soon soon as they stopped?
Glayvin34

We tried not to overthink the Matrix too much and just took for granted that everything works like it's supposed to. The where the book talks about spoofing the datatrail on page 224, it's clear that you can supply a bogus commcode through software or hardware, and most nodes won't talk to an device without ID. So we assumed that TMs all have several commcodes that they use, just like regular commlinks. All the commcodes that a TM uses are basically hardware driven, so there's no need for Hacking or the Spoof Complex Form.

QUOTE (Protagonist)
Commcodes are provided by Service Providers, aren't they? (or at least registered with them)  So if the technomancer doesn't have one, he'd have to spoof one.  But if the living persona somehow has one built in, would you have to get it registered for legal matrix access?  I can't find a page number saying they have one or not . . .

I don't think that there is an easy commcode registry somewhere where you can go and find out which service providers provide which commcodes. It seems like commcodes have enough unique info so that anybody can effectively make one up without having to worry about it looking fake.

QUOTE (Protagonist)
The only part of subscriber lists I can find is in the Living Persona referencing back to the normal persona.  Wouldn't they only be able to be a part of a subscriber list while actively spoofing a commcode (assuming they don't have their own), primarly because since they have no actual memory storage, the list wouldn't be able to find them as soon soon as they stopped?

That sounds about right. There's no requirement for the actual Spoof Complex Form if you're not trying to spoof a command. If the TM is just talking to the pizza delivery, he's making up a commcode but not trying to duplicate someone else's and impersonate their device.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012