Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SINnners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
bustedkarma
So the character in question is former UCAS Military. Not some Black OPS dude or a Ghost, just a former soldier. He was in a Light Infantry Outfit, and lost his lower leg in a training accident. He was deemed fit for duty, and became the Supply NCO in his unit until his enlistment was up. He gets out, and gets a job with a guy he served with, doing low-key weapons maintence for low-key Security Outfits. Not Knight Errant/Star Caliber shops, more like local operations, cleaning guns, installing optics and gas vents, things like. Subcontracted by the Subcontractors. His employer is also mildly connected, and handles some gun running for some of the local gangs. So theres your hook on why he runs the Shadows.

Anyway, long story short.

This guy is a Vet, and thus a SINner.
Initially, I was treating it as a Criminal Level SIN.
Now I'm kinda undecided.
Would you handle it the same way?
James McMurray
A military background != a criminal background, so he should have a normal SIN unless he did started without a SIN and then went out commiting crimes to get himself one.
stevebugge
If he was honorably discharged from duty he should have a clean UCA SIN. He might really be living a double life being a working productive member of society, maybe belongs to a veterans organization. Sounds like a prime candidate for a fake ID or 2 for doing "off the books" work.
Shrike30
I don't see ex-military SIN as being really any different than a normal SIN in 98% of cases. Every once in a while, it might even get him a break (cop runs his ID, sees he was ex-military, cop is ex-military, or had family member who was, etc, decides to just give him a warning instead of a ticket/checking of trunk where the body is hidden).

He's definitely gonna want some fake IDs tho smile.gif
bustedkarma
Oh yeah, the fakes are a must have.

So here's a question, more about SINner and Cop relations.

Not every crime in the sprawl is gonna get attention, obviously. But if something goes down in a relativley "civil" part of town, and bits and pieces end up being captured by drones/cameras, how is that gonna affect the Runner with a SIN?

My thoughts are the faces are gonna be run through Facial Rec software, and the SINs (if they were captured electronically) are gonna be reviewed. Burning a fake sucks, but what are your thoughts about this guys actual SIN getting pulled.

LONESTAR: The SIN we got on this guy says he's Charlie Brown...we have no real records on him.......but the facial rec pulled up as matching Erich Messerschmidt, who lives at.......... and is employed by.........

See what I'm saying?
Kanada Ten
I've always assumed that one would repress the SINs of all the IDs (fake or real) your not using just to eliminate false positives altogether. If you're living a double life, then one needs to corrupt some data in their real SIN registry - DNA, Facial Recognition, and so on, up to what they don't use everyday. Otherwise you need to fool the software.
Edward
Unfortunately assuming effective and efficient facial recognition software damages the game. As dose broad scale DNA matching.

SINS will be recorded and crosschecked. So use a fake, you don’t need to throw it away right after, just don’t use it for more than a day at a time, and watch it for high threat warrants, if there waiting for you to pop up you throw it in the bin and get another.

You can’t suppress your sin against a record search, not without hacking 500 nodes at once. SINs don’t need to have facial data associated, (if the back story doesn’t include and licenses that need photographic ID, the SIN was issued when you where a baby) but your real sin probably dose have a current picture. If your GM is saying that all SIN facial recognition searches are viable you should wear nano paste disguise on every active run.

DNA matching is going to come up less often but every SIN will have a DNA profile close enough to your own to cause a hit if your use a DNA identification check. The only solution to this is to not bleed, or at least splash disinfectant on any blood you are going to leave.

Edward
Kanada Ten
You can’t suppress your sin against a record search, not without hacking 500 nodes at once.

You only have to do it once. I've always said multiple SIN were suppressed and only activated when that SIN is called for, while hidden for broad searches and system consistency checks.
Nasrudith
Why a criminal one? Unless he did something like say shoot a drill sergant that wouldn't shut up he's normal.
neko128
Well, something very similar came up in my campaign.

What we decided is that the primary difference between a regular SIN and a criminal SIN (for those who have completed their jail term, at least) is that criminal SINs have more data about the person in the database. We also decided that a military SIN is similar - it has more in-depth data about the person stored in the database, just not linked to a criminal record, and thus is very similar. To balance it at the point penalty for a regular SIN, I said that some of his blatantly illegal cyberware was licensed as a veteran, and thus not actually illegal for him, as long as he's using his regular SIN.

stevebugge
QUOTE (bustedkarma)
Oh yeah, the fakes are a must have.

So here's a question, more about SINner and Cop relations.

Not every crime in the sprawl is gonna get attention, obviously. But if something goes down in a relativley "civil" part of town, and bits and pieces end up being captured by drones/cameras, how is that gonna affect the Runner with a SIN?

My thoughts are the faces are gonna be run through Facial Rec software, and the SINs (if they were captured electronically) are gonna be reviewed. Burning a fake sucks, but what are your thoughts about this guys actual SIN getting pulled.

LONESTAR: The SIN we got on this guy says he's Charlie Brown...we have no real records on him.......but the facial rec pulled up as matching Erich Messerschmidt, who lives at.......... and is employed by.........

See what I'm saying?

In this case if the runner has an alibi (which could be planted by a hacker) he's off the hook. SO if say there is a record of Erich Messerchmidt bying a bottle of Buzz Cola at a vending machine in another part of town, as long as it holds up the Star has no option but to pursue the other leads. What a regular SIN gets you is legal protection. You exist, you have what civil rights are left in 2070, you are entitled to trials, lawyers, phone calls, and mostly protected from the brutal and invasive investigative tactics Lonestar can employ against the SINless.
bustedkarma
Thanks for the input gang.

I'll make sure to pack a couple of quality fake ID's, and make sure I have a Hacker contact, just in case a data trail needs to be formulated.

Good times
Aaron
QUOTE (bustedkarma)
I'll make sure to pack a couple of quality fake ID's, and make sure I have a Hacker contact, just in case a data trail needs to be formulated.

You don't even need one of those. Fake SINs are available on the black market for the low-low Availability of (Rating x 3).
BishopMcQ
"Service guarantees citizenship"

I would treat it as a regular SIN, but I always remind my players that anyone with a legitimate SIN (regular or criminal) always needs to double and triple check that they left no records. Otherwise a few days or weeks later depending on the crime, a Lonestar detective will be knocking on their door. Obviously depending on what evidence was left laying around, this could be anywhere from a visit to eliminate possible suspects to the full SWAT team coming in to arrest the runner.
bustedkarma
In your games, whats the heat like after you flatline a cop?
stevebugge
QUOTE (bustedkarma)
In your games, whats the heat like after you flatline a cop?

Pretty heavy in my games. While it isn't company policy, the Star will expend extra resources to avenge their own. Rules get bent a bit (sometimes a lot) and the runner will need to do a good job covering his tracks and lay low to avoid retribution, and the Star will have a long memory on these crimes. Contacts with a low loyalty can be a big liability in this situation.
James McMurray
Never kill a cop. Nowadays it's bad enough, but SR cops are better armed, better supported, and beter funded.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (James McMurray)
SR cops are better armed, better supported, and beter funded.

rotfl.gif

Hardly - security in SR is usually provided by the lowest bidder. wink.gif
James McMurray
Police these days don't have bidders at all.

Letting people get away with killing your police force is bad business. It costs a lot less to hunt down and eradicate a cop killer than it does to pay off more cops' families because random lowlifes start to get the idea that they can get away with it.
Rotbart van Dainig
Obviously, you didn't get the joke. wink.gif

In canon, LoneStar is described as notoriously underfinanced and thus underequipped, both hardware and manpower wise.

Most of the time, hunting down a cop-killer isn't even an option, because it would require to withdraw rescources from investigations that are of pay... errr public interest.
To compensate, it's official policy to shoot first and ask questions later.

Of course, that does not mean it's wise to go on a killing spree, but a dead cop now and then is just business as usual in the sixth world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012