Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The munchkin's guide to spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ankle Biter
.... It's how you use it.

If you have any of your own "let's make the GM cry" interpretations of spells, why not share? I am positive that many of these have been thought of before, as they seem kind of obvious, but in the hope of others being encouraged to greater originality, here is my guide to the more original uses of spells.

Turn to goo

leaves behind cyberware, and other non living materials, right? Sure you could use it to seriously screw over the cyberzombie comin at ya, but good luck beating their body... So what's it really for?

Why not use it to get rid of implanted RFID tags on the wussy scientist you are busy extracting... You don't even need to damage/deactivate the tags. A braver than average corp lackey swallowed the keys to the safe? Your drug mule got heat on his tail and you don't want to leave surgery scars? Turn to goo, your best and only non-surgical bullet removal system!

Physical mask

Does not say that the target has to be metahuman, or even living. If you beat the OR threshold nonliving systems cannot detect the change.

Oh did I mention cyberscanners are non living, so are MAD's, and chemsniffers. "Nooo, this ain't 12 pound of C12 in this nice moss-lined astral LOS blocking suitcase, it's a birthday cake for me dear gran."

Sure you can mimic the corp you are attacking but when your RFID tags don't match the enemy's IFF has you painted. Why not switch faces with the troll armour bunny, so the mage casts his mana spells at you and all the sniper bullets go flying at your tank?

Another thing you may not have thought of is that a lot of spirits are vaguely your shape, trade faces with your spirit of man - most corp secs are trained not to bother shooting at spirits, and to go for the mage...

Here's another... physical mask does not have to be placed on a willing target. If you can sneak up behind Johny Corp, touch him, and get 4+ successes, all his lovely kit will suddenly be convinced that some bugger with all the wrong biometrics has stolen it. This can be particularly funny in a building that packs auto turrets.

Sure it is a waste of an opportunity, but boy is it comedy when all his safeties lock on and his comlink won't even let him radio for back up. Though it will probably ring an alarm or two.. so all his mates will come and slot him for kidnapping their good mate Johnny.

Laugh as he tries to tell them in his thick Russian accent that he has no idea why he grew a moustash, a mohawk, and a slogan on his shirt saying "Зарежьте корпоративные свиней!" (thanks, Babel, hope I got that near right).

If you are feeling especially munchkin ask the GM if you can change red shirts to green shirts, and Hugo Boss to Eau de sewage overflow why can't you change "Why are you looking at me funny, guys?" to "Ha ha haaa! I Killed Johnny, what are you going to do about it corporate-whore pig-dogs?"

Final trick with physical mask, few mundanes are trained to shoot somebody who is dead already, a few bloody holes in the chest armor, no pulse (Affects multiple senses remember?) and a rapidly cooling corpse can get you a nice cool ride to the morgue. Use at your own risk, sometimes Joe Sixpack likes to make sure... By the way, biomonitors are non-living.

Stealth
Silence on a door means it don't matter if it bangs against the wall after being kicked in. It doesn't even cause the lock it's tearing open to make a sound. Silence on your victim is on occasion handier than silence on you. New meaning to "nobody can hear you scream."

Bung it on a helicopter. That and improved invis removes a lot of the stress from finding an entry point for your run.

Mob mind

A force 5 mob mind spell will take out a group of aggressors in close proximity, imo, more reliably than a combat spell, for less drain and with far less worries about collateral damage.

Mob puppetry allows free action for people not being commanded, but mob mind makes no mention of this, therefore as soon as the spell takes effect you can't do a thing the caster don't want you to. He has complete mental control.

Enemies roll willpower 6 if gm is being silly VS my spell pool of 9 if I am not even munchkining it. While you are practically forced to overcast kill spells to be sure of dropping somebody with them, you don't even have to worry much about threshold on this one. First command, mass broadcast to the mob, kill that enemy who managed to resist this spell.... and if the AOE caught a few of my chummers, so what?

Interesting thing is that from the description of AOE spells anybody leaving the area leaves the effect, anybody entering it enters the effect. You then have 5 rounds of shuffling chummers out of the AOE, then deciding how many mini grenades to feed the rest of them.

Note that mob mind uses the term "mental commands" and does not mention that the targets have to be human. Ever wonder what would happen if a mob-minded flock of 30-odd feral pidgeons was sicced on you? or a Africanised honeybee nest? Or a bucket of black mambas from that exotic pet shop you know? It's not even like if they managed to break out of the spell after x rounds of building up resistence successes that they would come after you, what with this screaming stampy fellow right next to them and all...

You can cast mob mind at a choke point and so long as you are sustaining it all the patrolling guards going through that door have a sudden urge to drink the tasty looking gator aid then take a nap just out of sight of the door.

This kind of spell is ideal for setting up ambushes as half the poor buggers through the door are surrendering before they even know they are under attack, and if you are a quick enough thinker you can get them to call all their mates into the trap for you, and the people who did resist do not know what is wrong until their pals simultaneously arm all the grenades they are carrying. biggrin.gif

Mob mind and quickening make things like that even more intersting. You enter my house and you my bitch even as you are kicking the door in. smokin.gif

Remeber also that anything includes getting their security rigger to hand control and protocols of the building and drones in it over to your rigger, the guards to transfer all of their cash into certified credsticks, and everybody to remove and disable their commlinks then say out loud a list of the cyber they have implanted and abilities they have. If you managed to catch a mage with this (lucky lucky) get them to dismiss all of their spirits, and hand over their foci and fetishes.

So what if it wears off after a few rounds? by that point they have had time to give you all of their cash, disarm themselves, and kneel patiently for a coup de grace from your street sam.
Dranem
From what I read of Mob Mind, is that you can only use it on Intelligent creatures. I don't think it'll work on critters.
30+coyote
QUOTE (Ankle Biter @ Apr 13 2006, 09:08 PM)
.... It's how you use it.

If you have any of your own "let's make the GM cry" interpretations of spells, why not share? I am positive that many of these have been thought of before, as they seem kind of obvious, but in the hope of others being encouraged to greater
originality, here is my guide to the more original uses of spells.

Turn to goo

leaves behind cyberware, and other non living materials, right?  Sure you could use it to seriously screw over the cyberzombie comin at ya, but good luck beating their body... So what's it really for?

Why not use it to get rid of implanted RFID tags on the wussy scientist you are busy extracting... You don't even need to damage/deactivate the tags. A braver than average corp lackey swallowed the keys to the safe? Your drug mule got heat on his tail and you don't want to leave surgery scars? Turn to goo, your best and only non-surgical bullet removal system!
(Actually this will not work. Turn to goo does not allow you to remove anything. In fact it makes it harder because you gain a barrier rating. This has been covered in other threads. )

Physical mask

Does not say that the target has to be metahuman, or even living. If you beat the OR threshold nonliving systems cannot detect the change.

(That’s like saying the book doesn’t specify that armor piercing rounds are ineffective against planets so you should be able to shoot the ground with your gun and do lethal damage to the entire planet. It may not specify every eventuality of the spell but if you have to stretch the wording of the spell this much then no, the spell doesn't do this. )

This entire post is just so wrong.. I feel bad for your GM.
Big D
Mind control spells in general are pretty munchy.

Mindslave the troll, have it turn around and geek the mage for you.

Mindslave half the enemy party (or most) and have them geek the other half, then themselves.

Unless the opfor has counterspelling active, they're pretty much hosed. Even a Force 1 or 2 Control Thoughts can destabilize the other side and all but wipe them out if coordinated with your team.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Big D)
Mind control spells in general are pretty munchy.

Mindslave the troll, have it turn around and geek the mage for you.

Mindslave half the enemy party (or most) and have them geek the other half, then themselves.

Unless the opfor has counterspelling active, they're pretty much hosed.  Even a Force 1 or 2 Control Thoughts can destabilize the other side and all but wipe them out if coordinated with your team.

Already been there

During the last session I ran, the team's Social Mystic Adept had the Red Vory soldiers basically taking each other out. (and she only had a MA of 3 applied to spells)

Worse than the firefight, was the fact that this character along another (who was a Seductress Shaman) teamed up on negotiation tests. The poor Johnsons never had a chance.

Did have a small victory though when the Mystic Adept attempted to influence the outcome of the Elite Eight game in Seattle. She bet on the spread & messed with a couple of the Duke players' heads. Unfortunately for her, I was determining the scoring by random dice rolls based on the odds. Duke still lost but the spread wasn't covered & she was out 10,000.

Ankle Biter
QUOTE (30+coyote)
This entire post is just so wrong.. I feel bad for your GM.

Naah, I tend to point exploits out like this to me GM beforehand cos then we can come up with a house rule to prevent munchkinism.

I just tend to think sideways to most people, like the time my team needed to get 4ish floors underground into a Lone Star Morgue and rather than digging down, we had a couple earth spirits dig us accross from the nearest Sewage Pipe, on either side of the building, leaving just the external walls, then blew out one wall, legged it through to the morgue, grabbed the corpse we were sent to retrieve, and then blew out the other wall and straight back into the sewers, collapsing the tunnel behind us while the guards were still running for the first hole. Whole run took about 30 seconds biggrin.gif
fool
Actually6 we had the seductress shaman and the ex D.A. both assisting int he negotiation tests, and even rolling ungodly dice (asfter the assists about 19) we still only got two to five hits, while the johnson got his one or two so our pay was only increased by 10-15 percent.
I'm thinking of changing my signature to "guns I don't need guns; I just have my enemies shoot each other."
BTW I like the using of earth elementals to dig out a tunnel for you; I tried to get a thread regarding what legitimate uses of spirit physical services are, but about the only response I got was having hearth spirits (no longer in existence) to open locked doors. One idea I had for throwing off pursuit was to have the earth elemental dig a trench across the road directly behind my fleeing car. And of course don';t forget having your air spirit fly you around.
Azralon
QUOTE (Ankle Biter @ Apr 13 2006, 10:08 PM)
Turn to goo

leaves behind cyberware, and other non living materials, right?

I invoke the ancient spirits of The Legion of Posts Which Have Come Before to denounce this falsehood.

Away, heathen! I command ye to Search!
Ophis
Ankle Biter has never found any exploits that really bother me. I can nix the physcical mask thing by pointing out that in SR3 there was a vehicle mask spell, which is enoiugh confirmation to me that shaping an object is harder than a person. Cyberscanners would still spot cyber in the target as The spell mentions nothing about altering cyber. Turn to Goo does change cyber that essence has payed for in my eyes, it just doesn't transform all the cyber limbs you keep in your pack for extra phys hits. smile.gif

I am fine with Mob Mind being used on lots of creatures. I'll have to read up to work out a screw over on that one.
Lurker69
I have been looking at these spells myself. I have to write these ideas down so I can try and use them on my GM.
ronin3338
I hate not having my BBB at work...

IIRC, Turn to Goo gives the body a barrier rating, so fishing out a tag may not be that easy.
Also, I don't think Physical Mask changes what something is, only what it looks like, so C-12 may look like Granny's homemade Bundt cake, but to a chemsniffer, it smells like plastic explosive (which may also smell like Granny's cake, depending on how many hits she got on her Intuition+Baking test)
For Stealth, you can use it on a chopper, but that would give it a pretty high threshold for being such a highly processed object.
GuyofDoom
Yeah after reading that I would have to say I don't think most of that would work unless you had a push-over for a GM. There's creativity and then there's playing lawyer with the spell wording.
sandchigger
They brought back Turn to Goo? Did they resurrect Turn to Tree as well? That was always a nice one...
Dranem
Note that in the spell description it says that Turn to Goo has to be cast on a 'willing target', it doesn't work that well as an offensive spell.

[edit]
Nix that, I was reading Shapechange... my mistake.
Shrike30
I've got a player in my group with Mind Control. He's used it once, ordered the enemy mage to drop a maxed-overcast lightning bolt on the guy standing next to him.

At the next session, one of my players said to him "Uh, maybe we should talk to Mike about control spells and stuff in the game... because it really sucks when your character gets mind controlled, and anything we're using is free game to come back at us."

This was the same session the party ate a F5+5 stunball while on an open-decked boat. They're learning nyahnyah.gif
Cold-Dragon
True, regular folk are ganked, and they are when you point an automatic at the same crowd.

Part of your problem is the enemies ran into the wrong enemy at the wrong(?) time. If they had a mage who was counterspelling, they'd have a fairer chance. Just like a guy that packed on the body armor, there are protections against both, you just need to get the materials.

This is what happens when magic suddenly appears from nowhere and is only, at best, a century into it. Adequate defenses aren't developed - there are few mundane protections, etc, etc. It's a classic DnD problem:

Wizard Vs Fighter: Whoever gets Initiative first will most likely win.

Wizard fireballs you or death spells you
fighter cuts the wizard into several pieces.

What people should start using is a smoke screen, then a vision that can see through it. Just a thought.
Kyoto Kid
Need to come up with Anti Magic

As I recall, there was some kind of special archetype back in SR1 or SR2 who was kind of like the "Anti Mage". I'll have to hit the archives on this.
Shrike30
Bio-fiber body armor. Think of it as being "chemical seal" or "fire resistance" except it gives you dice against things like direct combat spells. Not sure how to work something like control magics, but it'd slow down the stunballs somewhat, at least.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Bio-fiber body armor.  Think of it as being "chemical seal" or "fire resistance" except it gives you dice against things like direct combat spells.  Not sure how to work something like control magics, but it'd slow down the stunballs somewhat, at least.

...I like it.

Now I only have to figure out how to make it for my PCs.

...of course in my campaign, the UCAS "Department of Agriculture" will already be way ahead of the game as would be Princess Kam's Aeon Technologies.

Mage players, be warned...
Cain
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Need to come up with Anti Magic

As I recall, there was some kind of special archetype back in SR1 or SR2 who was kind of like the "Anti Mage". I'll have to hit the archives on this.

In the first book of the original trilogy, Sam Verner mentions "Nega-Mages", people who have innate spell defense. He makes this claim when he's told he's got magic, because he was able to resist a spell. I haven't seen any further mention of nega mages anywhere else, but you might be able to approximate one with a character who posesses enough natural spell resistance. There might have been a web enhancement for nega-mages, but I'm positive there's nothing more in canon on them.
nick012000
Adepts with Spell Resistance (or mundanes with Spell Resistance, for that matter).
fool
just go with the age old adage- geek the mage first... he's probably at the back so he can keep all his budies in los for counterspelling. Use a bfg on narrow burst, or a grenade launcher (isn't the mlg now a sa) or go with two handed mlg firing if you want to get really nasty.
Azralon
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Bio-fiber body armor.

Why not have biofiber melee weapons? Where are the biofiber-core bullets?

QUOTE (SR4r p256)
Biofiber is a form of bio-engineered plant life similar to wood, grown in large, flat sheets. Biofiber is naturally dual natured, existing on the astral and physical planes simultaneously. So long as the biofiber is kept alive (using complex nutrients), it functions as a barrier against astral forms, just like a physical wall. The biofiber has a Force rating like any other astral barrier and functions in the same manner (see p. 185). Biofiber sheets are placed inside the walls of high-security areas, provided with nutrients and carefully monitored. Destroying the astral barrier kills the biofiber. Biofiber is notoriously sensitive and difficult to maintain. It is available in a maximum Force Rating of 10.

I suspect these things haven't been done because it's so inconvenient to keep the stuff alive. The text implies that you basically need a dedicated life-support system to accomplish that, or your astrally-active quarterstaff dies.

Biofiber body armor is probably live for a disappointingly short period of time before you find yourself wearing little else than wood paneling. Also, you'd need to cover yourself head to toe anyway so no bits of your aura would be leaking out.

I'm actually in the process of entertaining the bullet question in my current story arc; the players just recovered a weapon that fires astrally-active rounds. I'll put my annoyingly hokey technical explanation in a spoiler tag below for those interested.

[ Spoiler ]
Shrike30
I suspect these things haven't been done because it's so inconvenient to keep the stuff alive.  The text implies that you basically need a dedicated life-support system to accomplish that, or your astrally-active quarterstaff dies.

Biofiber body armor is probably live for a disappointingly short period of time before you find yourself wearing little else than wood paneling.

And who says you can't build a life support system into a suit of body armor? We're not trying to make it concealable or "comfortable" to wear for more than a couple of hours... we're trying to provide mundanes with resistance to combat spells. Get them a nutrient solution bottle and a pump on their hip or back, run a circulatory system through the armor to supply the "plates" of bio-fiber, and you've got what you need to keep the bio-fiber alive. When the vest isn't being worn, you disconnect the bottle and hook up a larger, probably centralized supply. Kinda bulky and obvious, and it could be damaged by bullet or knife impacts, but that's what the kevlar and ceramic plates are meant to deal with.

Also, you'd need to cover yourself head to toe anyway so no bits of your aura would be leaking out.

Not true. Casters of direct combat spells (like manabolt) take penalties for the target having cover. The "cover" in this case is another aura... that of the biofiber in the armor. My idea of having it add dice for the resistance test (rather than count as cover for the target) was intended to keep it in-line with the functioning of the rest of the armor upgrades, and to avoid possible conflicts with the existing cover rules.

I'm actually in the process of entertaining the bullet question in my current story arc; the players just recovered a weapon that fires astrally-active rounds.  I'll put my annoyingly hokey technical explanation in a spoiler tag below for those interested.

Hey, if handheld railgun pistols firing astrally active ammo work in your game, having a hydroponics system built into an armored vest doesn't sound that out there to me smokin.gif

EDIT: working off of the theory that this armor is providing you astral "cover," it might make sense to limit the maximum rating of the upgrade based on body coverage. Loosely working from the "cover" modifiers, this might end up being vest = max 2, jacket/FFBA = max 3, full body armor (no helmet) = max 5, helmet (with anything) = max +1, getting you a maximum of 6 dice against incoming direct combat spells, to duplicate the -6 that "complete cover" provides, on the theory that there's a few places the aura peeks out just due to ergonomics. Having a suit that made you completely immune to aura-targeted effects would just be rude short of something like full-on powered armor.
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Bio-fiber body armor. Think of it as being "chemical seal" or "fire resistance" except it gives you dice against things like direct combat spells. Not sure how to work something like control magics, but it'd slow down the stunballs somewhat, at least.

Are you sure you want to be essentially dual-natured as a mundane?

Suppose a mage full astral decides to "earth" a fireball through your armour?

(actually I'm not sure it that still works in SR4 but in SR3 out mage usually stayed astral, and really loved to meet dual natured beasties...)
James McMurray
There is no grounding in SR4.
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (James McMurray)
There is no grounding in SR4.

Awww frown.gif

Guess that makes going on a run in full astral that much less useful.
Shrike30
Thank god. nyahnyah.gif I *hated* telecommuting mages.

The bio-fiber is astrally present, yes, but what's the worst thing that happens? A mage starts fragging your armor, you call magical HRT and look for cover. All he's done is given away his presense to someone who didn't even know he was there a minute ago.
Azralon
QUOTE (Shrike30)
And who says you can't build a life support system into a suit of body armor?

Not me. I was just offering a possible reason why it hasn't been (openly) done yet.
Azralon
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Apr 17 2006, 04:03 PM)
Also, you'd need to cover yourself head to toe anyway so no bits of your aura would be leaking out.

Not true. Casters of direct combat spells (like manabolt) take penalties for the target having cover. The "cover" in this case is another aura... that of the biofiber in the armor.

It sounds like it'd be less trouble to just carry around a big ol' opaque riot shield than to get some limited-duration high-maintenence crazy wood+ceramic armor.

Everyone should be firing from cover anyway. smile.gif
Shrike30
Technically, though, riot shields are "armor," and don't provide a cover save (that I know of... I might have missed something in the rules).

Besides, given the chance to advertise "better, more cover-providing riot shields for your security forces to hide behind when attacked by magicians" or "astrally-active body armor that actively interferes with the ability of a mage to target your security forces," which do you think would have the larger profit margin?
Azralon
Aw, c'mon, Shrike, roleplayed marketing campaigns as proof of concept for a game mechanic is like a lie on top of a fairy tale. smile.gif

But yeah, mixing cover rules and armor rules is tricky. It's best if we try to keep them entirely separate.
Kleaner
I can't stand it when a player says, "Well the rules doesn't say I can't do that!"

The rules don't say I can't beat you about the head and neck either, but that wouldn't be fair now would it?
Egon
Looks like I put this in the wrong place, so forgive my double post.

I don't know if I would say they are unbalance but mages are the hardest to deal with from a gm's point of view.

As a gm I can just geek a dumb pc mage that is not the problem, pcs do it to npc mages all the time. It just makes me feel dirty. What can I say don't like beating on the retarded kid everyday ether.

On the other hand a smart pc mage will drive me nuts because they will tend spend hours pouring over the ill written magic sections looking or the next rules hack to spring on me in the middle of the game. I hate the line "but its magic". Since the laws of physics don't apply they seem to think common sense shouldn't ether. I wish the magic rules were written like computer programs with clear inturperations. I wish mages wouldn't come up with crap and try to spring it on me in the middle of a run.

If something sounds to good to be true could you at least run it past the gm and get his ruling on it. I know, I know you must hord you new found toy, or the npcs could prepare for it since they know what the gm knows. But think about it do you want your gm to have to tell you are wrong during a combat where you could die or out of game where it wont effect the game.

The gm and the pc should always be on the same page. That is the first step to a good game. If you play a mage do you and your campaign a favor and play smart. Remember you a soft and popable your first action would be better spent finding cover, even if that cover is a street sam, then casting your biggest aoe spell before other pcs get into your line of sight just because you want to feel effective. Second talk with your gm and get on the same page for spelleffects and spirt powers.

just my rant
Shrike30
I'll agree... the things that cause the most surprising turnarounds in how or where a game is going are usually stunts one of my casters pull.

As for managing crazy stunts they pull, though... if I think what they're doing violates (or bends) a rule severely, I'll ask them to explain why they can do whatever they just did. If it's illegal, I'll let them know it. If it's a rule hole, I'll say "ok, it works this time, but we'll talk about it after the game." If it's something that's clearly legal (and just annoying), that becomes a schtick with the character, I just remember that the door swings both ways. Someone else in the wide world of shadowrunning may have figured out the same trick, or if nothing else, the character might find himself on the recieving end of the tried and true First Rule of Shadowrun Combat... geek the mage. Nothing draws fire faster than casting a force 6 or higher spell, and your teammates standing nearby *hate* it when the corpsec team they're engaged with decide to stop worrying about damaging the facility they're in and just use grenades, because there's a fraggin' mage over there...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012