Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Datajacks and the Matrix?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nightshade-
What capabilities does someone have when in the Matrix with only a datajack not a datajack and cyberdeck? Can they run utilities without a cyberdeck?

I have a player who wants to have a datajack and get into the Matrix without becoming a Decker. He has listed he has a datajack with 500Mp storage headware with the utilities of Decrypt 6, Evaluate 5, Read\Write 5, and Sleaze 5.

I'm sure he can work with this through a cyberterminal (I think. I'm running the Matrix for the first time as a GM. I've run SR many times in the past, but no one cared about the Matrix until now. You know, everybody wants to be a Street Sam.). BUT, if he say for instance, breaks into a corp building and jacks into one of their stations, does he have to manually load up his utilities on that system or does it flow through the datajack?

Ok, in today's terms, I have Photoshop on my system. If I go to another computer I have to load Photoshop in that system to use it. It doesn't just automatically appear because I'm using that system. So I have to load it up. Can a datajack hold utilities to install everytime he jacks in? Can you even do any of this with a datajack?

Can they break through System Ratings if needed? Can they get through Access, File, Index Ratings? I mean even if you get into a corp building you still may face having a password,etc.. to get on one of their systems. I've worked for large companies like Dell and Compaq and you cant get on any computer at any station without the right passwords. Also can they battle IC?

Lots of questions here, please answer as many as any of you can.

Thanks a Bunch!
ShadowDragon8685
Well, in theory, if he's willing to also have an Master Persona Control Protocol chip installed in his head... And the various other attribute chips....

But then he's still using a cyberdeck, only Cranial, not hardware.
Kanada Ten
The problem is that cyberterminals don't have Masking (and maybe no Evasion?), so the Dectection Factor will be very low (crazy low). The intruder will have to defeat the Access rating to log on, yes. The programs in headware (which IIRC can act as active memory) still need to be loaded into the Persona (the function that takes all the time durning the Swap Memory Operation). He can fight IC with an Attack program, but it's a losing battle without Response Increase and any decent deck. He's better off geting Validate and creating a superuser password immediatly after logging on. Note that without this, his security tally will basically put him out of the system whatever his Computer skill.
Dranem
Without an ASIST or MPCP, any kind of decking is pretty much impossible. Your character is being fed raw Matrix data which will pretty much fry his brain. That's what the cyberdeck is for, to read the information flow and form it into a concept the brain can understand.

If he doesn't want a deck, a portable computer could be used, but it won't be VR. It'd be like having a windows interface where he'd have to type the commands and wait for the programs to display the output. You can still hack with a computer, though because it's slower, you may not be able to sleaze past IC, and are more likely to get shunted offline or your IP traced before you realize it.
hyzmarca
Incorrect, a cyberdeck is just a portable computer with a Masking rating and Hot ASIST.
Any cyberterminal or computer can be used in cold VR but it is an uphill battle without masking.
ShadowDragon8685
And by uphill, you mean "analgous to a frontal charge of infantry in open terrain where the enemy has air and artilliary support", right?
Edward
Those programs would not be of any use.

Program rating is limited toe MPCP of the deck. No deck, no MPCP, no programs.

Being an otaku may suit the stile he is going for, or it might not.

But unless you’re an otaku you need a deck to deck. You could use a cyber terminal but without masking you’re going to be detected and without evasion you’re going to get hit in cyber combat. Masking and evasion are what defines the difference between a cyber deck and a data terminal. That and data terminals only go up to PMCP 3, witch limits program ratings.

Of cause with no programs and just a cheep cybertrminal you can still brows public hosts and anything you have pascodes for.

Edward
Platinum
You can get an asist datajack plug in module for 50 nuyen.gif .

If he doesn't have an MPCP, use his body as that rating, but all damage done to him is physical. (read this burning out his nervous system)

Essentially the char can deck naked, just use the chip ratings where they apply.

check out the latest decking naked thread for more details.

The charater uses their computer skill rating to make the improvised utilities. I think that you cannot use hacking pool with it. You do lose the response increase, but you gain some extra dice from hot decking and RAS. I personally think that response increase should be something added to the datajack and not necessarily the deck and have been working on modified rules.
Lindt
You need a deck. Or a terminal, or something. Think trying to browse the internet with out a mouse, or keyboard, or screen for that matter. Sure, you have a kickass computer with the best web browser, and your own 2xT3, but you cant DO anything.

Your trying to run a program with out any ability to process data.

Can I also ask what that guy was thinking, getting 500mp of head mem? 1.66 essence, and ¥75,000. Never mind the 42,000 on programs.
Kanada Ten
The funny thing about headware memory is just how much cheaper (essence and cost wise) chopping off a hand and installing a pocket secretary with an optical chip drive...

I'd also like to point out that the MPCP rating cap on cyberterminals is mostly silly, since they are supposedly what host designers (and pretty much all legitimate people) use. I can see the concept, but corps wouldn't limit their profit margins by forcing people to buy decks. Maybe those above 3 should cost more than 10% of their deck equivalent, perhaps 25-50%.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012