Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL Chernobyl
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fistandantilus4.0
"About 4,000 people live in Chernobyl -- but only for two weeks at a time. They are workers brought in for short rotations to keep watch on the contaminated zone around the reactor and carry out decontamination work.

Others live in the zone permanently, despite official warnings.

One of them is 71-year-old Mariya Urupa, who lives outside town in a cozy brick house.

"Radiation does not exist because you can't see it," she tells us."

I love that last line.
Muskie
Man.. I'm STILL Waiting for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. I wanna kick some mutated monster butt. then there's those "laws of physics don't apply" bits.. nyahnyah.gif
Muskie
That Old lady oughtta shack up with the Ravenous Bugblatter beast of Traal, methinks..
JongWK
I think you'll like this website.
nezumi
As an aside, that website is likely fairly false. There are guided tours through chernobyl now. Notice you never see her bike again past the checkpoint. Also, who is taking the pictures of her? Naughty naughty, but cool to pretend.
Cray74
Plenty of Chernobyls to tour in Shadowrun. Apparently "containment domes" weren't a common feature in Eastern OR Western nuclear power plants in Shadowrun's alternate history.
mmu1
QUOTE (nezumi)
As an aside, that website is likely fairly false. There are guided tours through chernobyl now. Notice you never see her bike again past the checkpoint. Also, who is taking the pictures of her? Naughty naughty, but cool to pretend.

She actually toned things down a lot from the way they were initially, after a number of internet sites and boards called BS on her story.

mfb
QUOTE (nezumi)
Also, who is taking the pictures of her?

there are a lot of cameras that have timers built in. set the timer, step into the shot, camera waits until the timer goes off and then shoots.
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 16 2006, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (nezumi)
Also, who is taking the pictures of her?

there are a lot of cameras that have timers built in. set the timer, step into the shot, camera waits until the timer goes off and then shoots.

True. Though for a lot of those shots, she'd also have needed a tripod.

However, in this case, there have been some people who claim to have taken the same sort of guided tour that she did (in a car) - and that the tour guide remembered her, and was annoyed at the way she and her husband staged some of the photos by rearranging the abandoned possessions for greater shock value. The motorcycle helmet she has in that bag over her shoulder was just there as a prop.

Mind you, that's still one person's word against another, on the internet, of all places... But I think she full of it, myself.
mfb
oh, yeah, i'm not saying she's legit. just pointing out the camera thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012