Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cause of the Richmond, Vancouver Earthquake?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Witness
Pursuing this little aside from another thread, does anyone know the story (& references) behind the earthquake that is supposed to have wiped out the Richmond area of Greater Vancouver in 2059?

All I know of it is from the Sixth World wiki, in which there are two references, this being the biggest:
3 December - A massive earthquake of magical origin hits the suburb of Richmond in Vancouver, Salish-Shidhe but none of the adjacent area. Tens of thousands of people are killed.

What happened there, and in what book(s)?
coolgrafix
I don't know the details.

*** COUGH *** BUMP *** COUGH *** =)
Witness
Someone must know! Dranem hinted that he did. And surely Ancient History knows everything!
Witness
*** COUGH *** BUMP *** COUGH *** wink.gif
nick012000
Maybe it had something to do with a particular volcano exploding? Maybe a particular Ghost Dance? Maybe even a Great one. nyahnyah.gif
Witness
Mount Rainier did its dirty to the Payullup area south of Seattle. Vancouver is a fair way north of Seattle. Also the GGD was in 2017, while the Richmond earthquake was in 2059.
nick012000
Maybe it was a slightly-less-Great Ghost Dance. nyahnyah.gif
Witness
Hmm... possibly? smile.gif Is this a guess or do you know something?
Dranem
I need to dig through my novels... the reference that I know of about the Richmond quake came from the book "Tails You Lose". Once I can find it I'll dig whatever references I can.
Witness
Bless you sir.
nick012000
QUOTE (Witness)
Hmm... possibly? smile.gif Is this a guess or do you know something?

A guess. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the result of Lung's magical tinkerings with the Ring of Fire, though.
Witness
Thought all that wasn't until 2061.
Oooh juicy though. Didn't know anything about Lung's involvement with that. Tell me more!

EDIT: that is- anything juicy that isn't already in the SW wiki. If you have time!
blakkie
Or it could have just been the natural devestating earthquake that is due to hit the area. A number of years back sedimentary evidence was found that about 400 years across the straight on Vancouver Island the coast dropped over a 1m down. It is belived that particular event created a tsunami wave on the westward side of V. Island with a crest at least as high if not higher than the one that wiped out all those people two Christmas' back.

Richmond and Surrey are sitting a river delta that is a bowl full of jello waiting to happen when, not if, another earthquake of that magnitude hits. And it is estimated that sucker is due any time now.
Witness
Good stuff. Cheers Blakkie. Of course it was said to be an earthquake of magical origin, which implies tinkering of something by someone for some reason.

EDIT: well, not good for Richmond obviously. frown.gif
Valentinew
QUOTE (blakkie)
And it is estimated that sucker is due any time now.

Heh. Yeah, just like New Madrid...and I'm not holding my breath for that one either....
blakkie
QUOTE (Valentinew @ Apr 19 2006, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 19 2006, 08:03 AM)
And it is estimated that sucker is due any time now.

Heh. Yeah, just like New Madrid...and I'm not holding my breath for that one either....

Not quite the same. Vancouver Island is basically a mountian that is still rising, and quite fast in geological terms. Working off it's current rising rate it has more than enough pent up stress for a similar sized event. New Madrid is still fairly early on because it's only been about 200 years so best guess is that anything that'll happen in your lifetime will be fairly tame. RS 7 or less.

Of course holding your breath for either is likely a bad idea since we are talking decades or even perhaps a century or more. smile.gif But the SR canon quake leveling Richmond is still 50 years out.

On the magical triggering it does allow for such a devistating quake with relatively smaller amounts of energy because it just needs enough to trip off the pent up potential.
Witness
On the magical triggering it does allow for such a devistating quake with relatively smaller amounts of energy because it just needs enough to trip off the pent up potential.

Yeah good reasons for it to be vulnerable. But even if how is answered, the biggest question remains... why?
mdynna
QUOTE (nick012000)
A guess. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the result of Lung's magical tinkerings with the Ring of Fire, though.

(Posting referencing DotSW)

Lung's tinerking with the "Dragon Lines" of the Ring of Fire is actually a stabilizing effect. Ryumyo is actually the one who is screwing up the Ring of Fire. He is "sucking" power out of the Dragon Lines for some unknown purpose, but as he is doing so he is making things worse. The differing influences on the Dragon Lines was shown during YotC when the Ring of Fire erupting totally smacking all of the Japanese-controlled areas (where Ryumyo had his influence) while China, which is part of the "ring of fire", escaping with only minor damage because of Lung's work.
xizor
its simply amazing what people will do to improve the view from thier property.
Witness
Did you get to look into this, Dranem?
TBRMInsanity
what about the tensions between the Salish-Shidhe and Tsimshan. I could see the conflict going to the point of enviromental terrorism. Maybe that is why they invaded.

sarcastic.gif
Witness
Yeah I thought that was a possibility too. But what it most sounds like to me is some secret magical research facility in Richmond going whoomph because of some shadowrunners. I don't know why that's my instinctive guess- maybe something to do with that fact that, according to SWW, the earthquake only affected Richmond and no adjacent area (what, not even a bit?).
Dranem
QUOTE (Witness)
Did you get to look into this, Dranem?

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to look into this, I've been plagued with a kidney stone the past few weeks, and haven't been doing much housework or digging around in book boxes.
Witness
Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you're on the road to recovery.
Valentinew
Wow. That sucks. I hope you feel better soon, D.

...and from the voice of experience, water. Gallons & gallons of water. Oh, and vicodin. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012