Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sprite Skills
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Glayvin34
So I think everyone knows that the skills and complex forms for the sprites are pretty mixed up, there are a bunch of CFs that the Sprites don't have the associated skill for, some primary and some bonus. There's also that mystery CF, Transfer, that could be assumed to be Edit, but the Data Sprite has Edit and Transfer while the Courier Sprite has only Transfer.
Aaaanyway, there was a lot of Errata right away but this was never adressed, so maybe we're on our own here, what have you all been doing?

In my game, we gave the Sprites the benefit of all the doubts and:
-just assumed that each Sprite has the required skill to use whatever CF it wants to (and is listed), we don't force them to default
-gave the Crack Sprite the Attack CF to use with the Cybercombat skill that it has
-gave every Sprite with the Transfer CF the Edit CF if they didn't have it already

Does that seem about right or is it giving Sprites more power than they already have? It also kinda makes Sprites not have skills at all, just rating.
Glayvin34
I mean, seriously, the rules in the book are pretty contradictory. What have you all been doing?
Shrike30
Running a game that hasn't had any TMs in it yet, actually. nyahnyah.gif My group is suffering from feature creep... they're creeping away from the new features.
FanGirl
I don't know about anyone else, but as a TM I'm going to try and use my own skills whenever possible, instead of delegating my duties to some construct who probably won't do exactly what I want it to do anyway. (Computer programs have a way of following the letter of the law and not the spirit, you know.) Sprites are meant to function as tools that help a TM do her job more easily and efficiently, not as the TM's replacement.

Also, I interpreted "Transfer" as being a CF that just moves a file from one node to another. I don't think it does anything else that Edit can do.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Sprites are meant to function as tools that help a TM do her job more easily and efficiently, not as the TM's replacement.

Hm. That's not how I'm playing my TM, I gave him CFs for stealth and entering nodes, then I rely on Sprites for Cybercombat, rigger or anti-rigger type activities, and general stuff like decryption.

Sprites are awesome. They're like high-rating Agents maxed out on programs and available for free. With 2 or 4 registered fault sprites hanging out in the background, you can really surprise anyone who wanted to take you down, because you can have 2 out each turn 'cause it's only a Simple Action to retrieve them. And a quickly compiled Data or Courier Sprite for coordinated penetrations is also great.

Cybercombat is amazing with a few Fault Sprites, each one using Electron Strom gives opponents a -2 to all Matrix Actions, it's easy to bust someone down to -6 or -8 with a few Sprites. And a Machine Sprite gives bonus dice to modify or disable devices on-the-fly with the Diagnostics power. And that's just a few of the things that Sprites do that nothing else in the game does, and all for no Karma or Nuyen or Bad Vibes. Sprites kick some serious ass.
emo samurai
Sprites are basically like spirits in the matrix; they game break a lot.
Hunga
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
In my game, we gave the Sprites the benefit of all the doubts and:
-just assumed that each Sprite has the required skill to use whatever CF it wants to (and is listed), we don't force them to default

Well, this isn't exactly spelled out, but I'd probably say that sprites can thread complex forms that they do not know just like a techomancer. So for crack sprites, I'd say let it thread Attack CF.

In terms of missing skills, pilot rating can be substituted for the following skills: Computer, Cybercombat, Data Search, and Hacking. (page 214 under black box)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012